Netflix Kingdom Reviews - Share and Discuss

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Jul 22, 2021.

1. deadso

deadso Well-Known Member

I'm not against this story, I like it, allot at certain times (especialy the multiverse/time travel stuff; do we get more seasons? WFC: Unicron? Yes please!). G1 and BW aren't perfect, and neither is this, and maybe that's my way I view things.. I like the WFC series for nostalgia and it needn't be perfect.

I do, however, don't understand why Tigertron's voice is what Dinobot's should've been. I don't mind the dumb BW Megs, he's a different version of his better self (Loki..), it took some getting used to though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lincoln Tunnel

Lincoln Tunnel Well-Known Member

Like the Headmasters Cartoon? If that's the case I'm not sure that's the "Fan Cred" he should be going with. Even as a hardcore JG1 fan, Headmasters is kinda crap. It moves at a glacial pace, has familiar characters act completely out of character, and makes some absolutely baffling choices with G1 lore...

Oh...

Huh.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Gfigure

Gfigure Well-Known Member

The toyline came first and is unrelated to the show, the toyline was a soft reboot of generations with a lot of inspiration taken from episodes and the 86 movie such as mtmte, fire in the sky, the 86 movie,call of the primitives and the rebirth and later bw season 1

This show is just a minor tie in much like prime wars was.
    With desanto returning.

When I said prequel or continuation I said “could” as in what it could have been, Nowhere did I say it was meant to be or marketed as such. However being on Netflix given the runtime of an actual tv episode, instead of a 10 minute web show, this could have actually been good and since they wanted this show to be aimed at an older audience and with the cad files they had on hand that featured many characters in their most popular models they could have easily told stories within the sunbow and mainframe continuity. Which would have been a very popular choice, especially if done well. Again this is why I don’t want the same people getting a 3rd stab at doing a show, being its own thing is fine as long as it’s good. Other popular series have had great success but outside of comics transformers has been lacking in that in at least the last decade.

I know the gotcha here is “it’s own continuity” that doesn’t excuse terrible writing, casting choices, direction and acting. It’s bad and if we get another show it’ll likely use designs of figures of the time, so I saw this a golden opportunity to give allot of fans something they wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pcsguy88

pcsguy88 I'm a Toys R Us kid TFW2005 Supporter

Overall I enjoyed the trilogy since I do not get hung up on rebooted stories. Kingdom really surprised me since I’ve never watched a full episode of Beast Wars and actually found the story interesting. Still won’t buy their toys, but I certainly did not mind seeing animals running around the screen. Kingdom was fast paced for sure. I’d turn away to read a work email and had to rewind since something was always happening. My one question to the producers is Did we really need to sexualize Transformers? I mean really, “the pink one is cute” hinting at BA being a lesbian is completely out of place. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think new sparks are created by robots getting it on.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mr Megatron

Mr Megatron Emperor of Destruction

Ebay:
    Weird season. Really feels like a bunch of previous tf stories mashed together.

What was with that teaser at the end?

6. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    more then likely they were asked to write it with a sorta open end encase they got green lit for another season.

• Like Like x 2
  7. simonatmac

simonatmac The stop motion maker

Ebay:
    Spoiler:
    i don\'t like it 

• Like Like x 3
  8. Nako

Nako Well-Known Member

I Truly Enjoyed Kingdom, way more then Siege and Earthrise. If people can take off their nostalgia glasses I think people will enjoy it to. This isn\'t 80s G1, or 90s Beast Wars. I love both. This is 2021 Transformers Kingdom and I Love it to.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ravage Stanixa

Ravage Stanixa My Spark belongs to the TRUE Perfect Decepticon.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    NB: I still haven't watched Kingdom yet. I found Siege somewhat wanting, and was disgusted with several aspects of Earthrise.

And yet, there will always be people who say, for instance, of abstract art, that it is bad. That is their personal taste speaking. Also, in order to determine whether or not someone has successfully conveyed a message, one has to know what that message was supposed to be.

Derivative works, reimaginings and fanfiction exist because no matter how hard authors try to convey a message there will always be people who see things in the text that were not consciously intended to be there.

"Humans" did not do that. A specific human cultural lineage did that. Humans from other cultures, and humans who were excluded from the academic world that this consensus came from, were not part of that discussion. I'd say more than that, but I don't want to break Rule 13.

But we don't have such a standard. In some philosophical schools of thought and some academic programs, there is a standard like that, and people either care or don't care about who had input on that standard and who didn't, but universally, there is no such standard.

People have incredibly vitriolic arguments about this topic for a reason. We have standards for things like animation quality regarding issues such as technical errors, but we don't have a universal, generally accepted standard of 'what makes good art'. To understand this all you need to do is take a look at some of the arguments that people have had about whether a work of art needs to express some principle or belief about the world, or whether it's fine just to tell a story/express a feeling, no matter how messed up that story or feeling is.

I actually haven't liked WFC so far. But if you're going to say that it's bad based on the technical merits of the voice acting, or the animation, or other aspects of the execution, you need to say more about that than anyone has said so far. Tell us what's bad about the voice acting beyond the part where you just don't like it, if you want me to regard your criticism as anything but a matter of personal taste.

"Poor characterisation" is difficult to argue, given that there have been many iterations of the Transformers franchise, and the main characters have been characterised very differently in all of them. One of the reasons that I didn't like Earthrise is that while Megatron has been portrayed as the author of quite a few atrocities, he never came across to me before as the sort of villain who would sexually harass a prisoner the way he did Eiita-1, but I am sure there are people who would say that since he's a bad bad guy, I have no reason to think that he wouldn't do anything bad, even if this is in my opinion an entirely different kind of badness.

At the best all I can truly say is that I dislike the characterisation of Megatron in Earthrise. I do like his characterisation in the IDW comics that ran from 2005-2017, but I know for a fact that a lot of people here hate that.

Everyone is allowed to have their opinion, and mine is that I think it's hilarious for people to use words like 'objective' in media reviews. Don't try and appeal to some great cultural standard that not everyone believes in or takes seriously, as if that proves anything--just admit it's your own darn opinion and explain why you feel that way.

• Like Like x 3
  10. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I enjoyed this trilogy. As with all things Transformers related, always room for improvement.

I\'d say if each season was 8-10 episodes it probably wouldn\'t feel as \'on the clock\' as it always has done. 

I enjoyed Siege\'s battle for the planet vibe, I enjoyed Earthrises lost in the middle of nowhere vibe, Kingdom was probably the most ambitious by introducing 2 new factions (3 in a manner of speaking) and probably over reached but it was still enjoyable. 

The door is firmly open for more, I hope they give it typical Netflix treatment of bigger budgets and more time to deliver. 

• Like Like x 2
  11. BidoofdudeofOz

BidoofdudeofOz The Stench of Discovery

After the very mediocre Siege and Earthrise that moved at a snail’s pace, I really loved Kingdom. The plot was interesting and kept flowing logically for the most part. The Beast Wars characters suited the story a lot better than just the G1 characters alone, and didn’t seem like they were shoehorned in.

It’s only let down by bad voice acting for the most part, lack of real character traits, and the expected reuse of models.

12. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The fact that the entire cast on Cybertron were all dead at the end, after they found out the Ark survived, and the lack of Omega Supreme really feels like the team going "fuck it. If Netflix won't be giving us the more episodes we've been fighting for, half the show gets resolved off screen".

And hey, it turned out much better than Earthrise, so...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Galvatron2000

Galvatron2000 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    I watched in audio latino so I hadn't problem with the voices.

I really liked the first chapter, the second was bad but then it gets better (of course it's better than earthrise).

There were action scenes that I found great, why couldn't they do the whole series that way?

The predacons and maximals were fantastic, I think they were the best thing about this show.

The best of this series was the photography, simply beautiful.

Finally...and it was clear to me that:

Transformers G1 = 2D

Transformers Beast Wars = 3D

If Netflix decides to continue with this series (if it's in 3D) it should be just a series of Beast Wars (they were born for that quality of animation).

If I wanted to see a series again with the G1 designs, it would have to be in 2D, like He-Man.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be fair, if they ever did get it on, there’d probably be lots of sparks. ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  15. Blackarachnia1996

Blackarachnia1996 The Red Queen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I thought we moved passed this… Blackarachnia literally had a line in Beast Wars about Silverbolt being “hunky.” Then they got into a relationship which is still to this day considered one of the better romances in Transformers lore. Then Chromedome and Rewind, followed by Anode and Lug… Transformers don’t get into relationships to reproduce, and it’s all across the fiction. I take it you have more of a problem with LGBTQIAP+ representation and by default same-sex couples in real life not being able to “reproduce” than the fact some Transformers are attracted to others… because where were your complaints for Optimus and Elita dating in the ’80s?
    The comment made by Blackarachnia fits within her character, and it doesn’t make her a lesbian… her personality is one heavily based around sarcasm and sass (the callout on her Animated packaging labels her as a “trickster”), so she may have just been acting silly. They also tease at her love interest Silverbolt during the hallucination scene by showing wolves howling. So the immediate jump to “wHy Is ShE lEsBiAn” is :rolleyes:  If anything she’s bi or pansexual, and I couldn’t think of a more fitting identity for her because do we honestly believe Blackarachnia gives a f**k about labels? Like she says in the show, she’s her own bot, and she does what she wants ;) 
    Definitely suggest watching Beast Wars and Beast Machines… all 5 seasons are free on the Tubi app. I also recommend reading the IDW comics, particularly Phase Two which you can pick the trades up on Amazon.

As for my own thoughts on the show, definitely the strongest season of the three. A lot more fast paced, but could have been stretched out to 12 episodes I feel. A lot happened and I would have loved to see characters expanded on. Obviously Dinobot stole the show (of course), and I like that they kept Blackarachnia as a bad girl with a conscious… definitely a lot more faithful to the original than either Animated BA or Airachnid. She even popped her hips which was great to see. Airazor I felt was even improved upon… she was given more to do in these six episodes than anything in Beast Wars. I did take issue with the voice actors chosen for Predacon Megatron, Rhinox, and Tigatron… they were really quite bad. Also, the last episode felt out of place with Nemesis Prime being introduced so late and was on par with Earthrise in terms of feeling disjointed and poor production quality… I would have rewritten the first half of that script.
    Other than that, I think this ALMOST rivals Transformers: Prime… with a little more room to breathe and a couple of better fitting voice actors, this season was solid.
    8 out of 10

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  16. AutobotSeeker81

AutobotSeeker81 Well-Known Member

Only a few eps in, but so far I think they should’ve switched Tigertron and Dinobot’s voice actors. They each sound like they are voicing the other.

17. Bustermaster

Bustermaster GREAT - ROBOT - BASED

News Credits:
    this is why you don't come in with high expectations or atleast be realistic and hey would you look at that, it ain't half bad. Easily the best out of the three. Enjoyable all the way through atleast and dinobot always gets the premium treatment with another rendition of COH. Ending surprised me, whats unicron gonna reformat the boys into?

18. SecretWyvern

SecretWyvern Tax fraud is the right of all sentient beings

Kingdom was...decent actually? Like maybe it's just a case of my standards being so low from the previous seasons, but this one while still fairly bad was at least not putting me to sleep like Siege or Earthrise. It was still fairly stupid, with a lot of miscasting and mishandling of characters, but it at least had me interested mostly throughout.
    Starting on things I didn't like...man Dinobot was a poorly handled version of the character. Gets talk-no-jitsued by Airazor way too easily, though I like the idea of him being B!Megatron's friend first and foremost and originally trying to get them to bail out of the heist for his sake, though it seems like they forgot about that idea the moment after the episode with that flashback. Overall though, them trying to shove his entire BW arc into 4 episodes really didn't work, and I physically cringed at him poorly referencing og Dinobot's let the battle be joined speech from code of hero, it felt way too out of place and disjointed from the rest of the conversation. I won't go too hard on B!Megatron and the wreck he is, because pretty much anyone else has probably said it already far better, but yeah, he was pretty bad.
    Nemesis Prime was at least vaguely interesting, though he was a bit of wet cardboard with what was actually featured in the show. We know he's a reformatted Optimus like Galvatron is to Megatron, but how did he get to that point? Why did he only get a new paint job while Megatron got a full new body? His role in the show was basically to stand there menacingly before the All Spark deus ex machinad him and Galvatron back to Unicron for that open ending.
    The ending and the situation on Cybertron was also fairly unsatisfying, with everyone dead, leaving the only survivors being the Optimus and Megatron crews and the phoned in way they handled the ending peace (until Megatron gets bored because of course)
    Also, if everyone on Cybertron is dead, and the All Spark is gone in the og timeline, how the fuck did the beastformers come into existence??
    On things I did like, I liked how transforming was actually a thing this season, it happened fairly often both on and off screen and for reasonable reasons. I also liked Starscream basically becoming enlightened after using the Golden Disk and meeting Unicron and going into panic attack mode, and became one of the characters I was actively supporting. Action was also fairly decent, nothing to write home about but a lot more involved and interesting than previous seasons, partially because of beast modes and the more interesting terrain. Also Megatron's "I am a weapon" moment after Blackarachnia hacked the weapons system was decently cool enough, with the camera spin as he transformed into tank mode, though I'll admit for a split second I thought "Interesting camera spin? Oh god Prime Wars big gun mode?? ...And it's just tank mode, well the camera spin was still cool."
    I also liked the effect on Galvatron's cannon after he fired it, with it being slightly transparent and still glowing like heated metal with sparkled flakes in it.
    Solid 6.5/10
    Probably wouldn't really recommend it to anyone, but it's definitely not terrible and could reasonably see myself watching it again if someone wanted to.

• Like Like x 2
  19. PrimeSmokescreen 04

PrimeSmokescreen 04 Well-Known Member

I'm shocked to say, I really liked it!

• Like Like x 2
  20. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Is anyone ever really and truly dead in Transformers........That would be a resounding no.

Does anyone have a roster of who was on the Ark, besides Optimus, Bee and Sideswipe.