Need opinions about ebay.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MetalRyde, Jul 19, 2014.

1. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

I do not know if this thread should be on GD or VG. Mods move it if necessary.

Currently, I am hunting down several rare and expensive video game titles. (not just for the sake of rareness but because i want to own and play them whenever i wish)

can i trust ebay when it comes to buying rare expensive video games?

i have bought 3 items from ebay before and everything went well.

what can i do to make sure i don't get screwed?

2. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Feedback. Feedback. Feedback.

ALWAYS check a seller's feedback before buying what they are selling. Be sure to thoroughly read auction descriptions to know EXACTLY what you are buying as well.

3. El Zilcho

El Zilcho Well-Known Member

Also, pay attention to what the feedback is for, particularly if they have good feedback for a bunch of cheap items and then are suddenly listing a rare, expensive one. This article, which actually focuses on a scam involving TFs, sums it up pretty well...

4. pandaderek

pandaderek Well-Known Member

Aside from what's, already, been said, don't expect to get what you want for an extremely low price to what you've researched. Those dreams are dead because of eBay...such dreams used to come true at swap-meets, when the seller had no clue what the universal value of the item was and sold it for what (s)he valued it at.

5. MetalRyde

i have been researching the rare and expensive VG for a few years (should have bought them years ago at a good price) and i accepted and knew they would be pricey. it just that i feel safer buying them at amazon but i found them cheaper at ebay.

and that is what puzzles me on where to shop

6. pandaderek

pandaderek Well-Known Member

If their feedback looks good, then, I'd say go for the eBay. As long as you complete the buying process through eBay, you should be able to file a claim and get your money back if they send you nothing or garbage. Also, you can, always, communicate with the seller and ask any questions.

For me, with Amazon, I hated that I couldn't see photos of the actual item they're selling me. I remember buying the Pop Jam Master Jay vinyl figure off of an Amazon seller and had to return it twice because the boxed was all scratched up, and it was listed as "new."

7. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

In my experience, Amazon is for scalpers. On average, anything I've seen for sale on ebay is like ten times the price on Amazon. It's insane. There are exceptions, but they're rare.

EDIT: Also, I haven't really had any problems buying on ebay. A few maybe here and there where stuff got lost and there was not tracking so I had to eat it, but 99% of the time everything has worked out fine. And I've NEVER had a problem with an item not being as described.

8. MetalRyde

hm. ive checked 14 sellers on ebay that have the 7 titles i'm looking for. one game is the same price in ebay as it is on amazon. so that is a coin toss.

others are cheaper on ebay by $50 to $100 than amazon.

thanks guys, i'm now going to plan out where i'm buying these games. thanks again.

9. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Good luck on finding a good and legit deal.

As a game and system collector, the sellers feedback is golden when buying.

When I first got into buying collectible gaming on ebay, my first two GBA games I got ended up being KOs.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    on the subject of Amazon, one must be vigilant to spot good deals on many hard to find items as every once in a while someone who has no clue what they have will list one for cheap.

Its damned rare but its happened.