Need it, want it, gotta have it syndrome...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mutt12, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Another thread got me thinking...

Anyone got their stories about people acting like total asshats over the latest craze? Like from Cabbage Patch Kids, Tickle Me Elmo, Pokemon, Skylanders, ect...

I personally have a rather blood curdling story from thirteen years ago that brings out the depths of rage in me to this very day.

December 1999. I worked at this toy store that's now long since out of business in a Mall in Grapevine, TX. The Gameboy Color is in high demand, especially for Pokemon Yellow. Sadly due to an earthquake in Taiwan, stores were short on stock and just couldn't meet the demand.

Anyways, I finish my shift, I punch out, and I'm fixing to head out for the day.

Enter: Crazy bitch and her brat

She's sitting there at the game counter while the regular registers were swamped. So I figure "Might as well help one more customer" and I put my apron back on and ask if she needs help.

We have one GBC left and it's pink. She is mad because I can't go in the back and get a different color one because... well... there aren't any. So here I am telling this woman that it's either pink or nothing and she is getting louder and meaner the entire time until... WHAM... her purse comes down right onto my head.

And I swear she must of had a cinder block in her purse or something because my head goes straight into the counter, breaking my nose and chipping off a good portion of one of my front teeth. When she saw me get back up with blood coming out of every orifice in my face. She grabs her kid and RUNS.

Mall security never find nor identify her.

Granted, there were other really awful incidents at the store, like one of my co-workers being lifted off his feet by the collar of his shirt by this really huge guy. Another time I had to break up a fight between two grown men over pokemon card.

2. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hahaha Seems like you have a very interesting job.

3. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Then she probably went to a message board, blamed scalpers and called you a lazy minimum-wage moron who wouldn't do his job and check the back.

4. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I'm surprised she had the sense to run. Was there no security cam that could identify her?

5. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

Wow, sorry to read that but it's still better than 2 people getting trampled to death a year or two ago during a Walmart Black Friday door opener event.

6. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Actually HAD. After that I swore never to work face-to-face retail ever again. Then I got a call center job and never looked back.

Hah! I see what you did there.

Sadly the security cameras pointed at the video game counter only caught the back of peoples' heads. And this was around Christmastime, so the security guys couldn't be bothered to filter the crowd.

7. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I were an employee at a major toy or department store and was going to have to work there during Black Friday and/or the rest of Christmas shopping season, I'd make sure to bring a gun (or at least pepper spray) with me, and I'd try to find out as soon in advance so that I could get in some basic martial arts training.

8. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a kid in my ROTC unit that if you say FF6, FF7-AC, FF7-BC, FF7-CC, FF7-AD, FF8, FF9, FF10, FF10-2, FF11, FF12, FF13, FF13-2, FF13-3, FF: Dissidia, FF: Dissidia 012, any poke'mon game that's a remake/sequel, any Call of Duty/Medal of Honor/Battlefield/Assassin's Creed/Dead Space game, or any Super Smash Bros except the original is the best game ever made, he will try to beat your ass. (Note: he is called the "puppy" for a reason.)

Same applies for anything negative about mainstream anime, manga, Doctor Who, and My Little Pony.

It's so much fun watching him do pushups for his actions.

9. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

U shoulda dropped the stupid bitch and beat her ass in front of her kid. Break my nose u better hope I'm dead

10. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    LOL funny you say that because that's what alot of people tell me when they hear this story. In actuality, I was more in this weird hazy "WTF, is this my blood?" sort of fugue state for a minute or two and she was long gone when the shock wore off.

11. Hosta

Hosta Banned

they can be pretty nasty to you too! in that job, even though it's not face to face. + call centre jobs can be pretty strict! you've gotta make so many sales, within an allotted time.

12. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

See thats where you need to go "Hang on, let me double check in back." and then go into the stock room and chill there for a few mintues. Splash some water on your face, come back out and say that you looked thru a bunch of boxes and couldnt find any.
    I use to do that all the time when I worked at Toys R Us in the 90s. People would bitch and grumble, but as long as they THINK you are doing as you are told like a good little minion, they leave.

13. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know what I'd actually have done if it happened to me, but I'd like to think I'd jump over the counter, run after her, tackle her, and hold her there while I had someone call the cops.

14. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Yeah I was thinking getting slammed hard enough to break your nose and a tooth wouldn't leave many people in a position to leap over a 4-foot counter and even the score.

15. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Exactly. Most people can't understand that when you got blood coming from every hole in your face, it's kinda hard to focus on much except "OMG I'm fucking injured!"

16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What really sucks is you were off the clock when you got hit. Guess I'd be F'em, I'm not getting paid and leave.

I guess what would have been really funny if you sort of took ArmadaJetfire's advice and said you'd go look but then just put your coat on and walked out without saying a word more.

17. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Wouldn't have had to hold her if it were me.

Bitch can't run without feet.

18. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

I got one:
    About a year and a half ago, some bitch reported me to my supervisor because I had kindly asked her not to block the Motorized Carts while I was putting one back. Its not as if I'd said "Lady, I need to put this where you're standing, you're gonna have to move", I'd said "ma'am, I need to put this away, if you need to unload your cart there's more than enough space to do so in front of the carts" but no, she felt like making my day miserable.....

This one's not about Rude Customers, but I love telling this story.

About two years ago, we had this guy in our Front End crew, REAL Prick. Never seemed to get anything done when it was his turn to bring grocery carts back into the store. Turns out this asshole would walk out of Camera Range to one of the Planters in our parking lot and take a nice, Long, impromptu Smoke Break whenever he was supposed to be clearing Lot. What's more, he wasn't 18 yet at that point so not only was he being a Lazy jerk, he was also breaking the law on Company Time.
    Needless to say, he doesn't work at my store anymore.