Need help fixing Generations TF legs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cal, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The last two figures I bought are Generations Skids and Whirl, and both of them have problems with their legs that I'm sure fellow owners are aware of. Skids suffers from horrendous balance - the worst out of any toy I own. I can't stop him from falling down unless he's standing perfectly straight, and it really kills his poseability and fun. Yes, I've already swapped his thighs, but it doesn't improve his balance if I try bending his knees. Has anyone come up for a mod to fix this?

And then there's Whirl's stiff knees. I've heard something about removing pins and filing joints, but I haven't found a proper guide for this. Anyone got a link plz?

2. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

If you could upload some photos of Skids, it would help show an idea of the problem(s). It may just be his knees are not extended fully, or.. It could be a QC issue.

As for Whirl, check the "Radicon Customs" thread. There have been several customizers, who have made just as many "fixes" for his legs. I think the easiest alteration I saw among them, was trimming his feet closer to the "screw peg" at an angle to allow full knee extension. (no more chicken leg) I'm a little more partial to the idea of adding "skies" to his feet, myself.

3. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fair enough, here's a photo of me holding Skids up:

[​IMG]

As you can see, if I try bending his knees, only the tips of his feet touch the ground, which means that he falls backwards every single time. How the hell do I fix this?

As for Whirl, he's been mentioned in Radicons a few times, but none of them address the problem with the stiff knees. Got a link?

Attached Files:

4. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

Sorry, no direct link to any 1 fix on Whirl, I just typed "Whirl" into the search bar and looked through some of them a month ago.

Looking over your photo, is his left ankle ball joint pushed all the way forward? Laying that front foot flat should help, without killing the pose you have in mind.

5. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The ankle is as far forward as it will go. There's a triangular tab on the top of his foot that's impeding articulation. Besides, the ankle joint design is fucked. The feet can rotate outwards, but not inwards, which is pointless for a splayed stance.

6. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    You haven't got Skids' legs fully transformed.

The pinned joint just below the knee on each leg can be rotated a bit further, so that the base of the knee-pad sits just inside the rear bumper kibble. You'll need to apply a little pressure to move a tab on the knee past the notch designed to hold it in place.

If you look at this stock photo, Skids' right leg is mistransformed like yours, whilst his left leg is properly transformed. Notice that the gap at the base of the knee-pad is gone:

[​IMG]

With the legs properly transformed, Skids balances way better, though he's still a bit lacking in useful ankle articulation.

7. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks Jalaguy, that does help. Skids' shins are so stiff, I didn't know they could bend further. What about Whirl, know any guide that can help me?

8. Jalaguy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Here's a photo Cheetimus took of the inside of Whirl's knee:

[​IMG]

To loosen them, you'd have to file off the corners of that octagonal joint. As for actually removing the pin to get in there, here's a TFW tutorial thread.

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Even fully transformed, Skids tends to fall easily for me. So for mine I just turn his feet backwards and it makes him a whole lot more stable.

10. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No luck so far. I tried forcing the pin out with a hammer and nail, but the damn thing won't budge. Since you have a photo there, do you know which side the pin comes out? Is it the flat or hollow side of the thigh?

11. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Yup, I swapped his hip joints around (be careful doing this as some folks have snapped the ball joint off) and turned his feet backwards for more heel support, now he has no problem standing (also gives him a more G1 appearance with the smaller frontal footprint; his stock transformation gives him ridiculously huge feet otherwise).

12. Jalaguy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    'Fraid I can't help there, it's a second-hand picture and they didn't mention which direction they popped the pins.

13. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Have you tried bending the knee?

There two points of articulation per knee.

Your knee
    [​IMG]

My knee.

[​IMG]

notice the two knee articulation points.

His blue knee cap is not suppose to be straight.

ps: nevermind on flickr. found it.

14. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    What? You don't like the clown shoes? ;) 

But seriously, I wasn't even aware Whirl had an issue until this thread. Now I have to go check mine.