3D Artwork: Need feedback on Charlie (Bumblebee) face sculpt

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Snaku, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hello everybody. I'm working on a replacement head for a 3.75" figure that I'm going to make into a Charlie from Bumblebee custom figure. I'm okayish at 3d modelling but I tend to make mistakes and then get used to how they look so it helps to have fresh eyes take a look. I'm looking for any glaring mistakes like eyes, nose, or mouth mishapen, jawline, etc. I threw on some rough bangs because it just doesn't look like her character without them but I'll be refining or replacing them when I get around to doing the rest of her hair.

upload_2020-3-4_14-58-3.png

upload_2020-3-4_14-58-33.png

upload_2020-3-4_14-59-6.png

Right now it's looking pretty close to my eye but there's always that weird thing where my mistakes are invisible to me and I need a fresh set of eyes on it. If anybody can see any mistakes that I'm missing, please let me know.

Here are a few reference pictures I've been using for Hailee Steinfeld's face.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Charlock

Charlock Lighten Up, Francis.

That looks pretty damn good already, my friend. The only thing I really noticed was that her eyes seemed a little too round and not quite narrow enough. Then again, it's hard to say if that is truly how her features are or if it's a "look" or an angle.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, it's hard to translate the pictures of her to a neutral expression, and the images of Hailee Steinfeld where she's not in character as Charlie are almost completely useless because she's always got a completely different expression, hairstyle, and makeup from her Charlie character.

Still, I think it's coming along and I've started blocking in the rest of her hair.

upload_2020-3-6_15-30-49.png

There's still something off about the eyes I think but I'll let it sit for the weekend and see if it's more apparent. Also, I'm having the damndest time getting the nose right - I can clearly see what's wrong (well, I can see that the nostrils are wrong but if anything else is, I'd love to hear it) but every time I try to fix it, I make it worse.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Update:
    upload_2020-3-9_15-26-44.png

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Progress:
    IMG_20200314_173311~3.jpg
    IMG_20200314_173134~2.jpg

Gonna have to make some adjustments and print it again. Neck socket was too small and not deep enough. I bored it out using a Dremel to find the right depth but that left it too loose. Also I need to adjust her hair - it runs right into her back and shoulders so she can't look anywhere but straight ahead or down.

I'll be creating a proper radicon thread when I'm a little further along.

[Edit] Radicon thread here.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 2