Need collection advice badly

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OptimusPrimeFour, Jun 12, 2014.

?

After reading my situation should I keep my collection in the bedroom?

1. Keep them in the bedroom

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Take them out of bedroom and in a collection room

35 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol some of the comments about dating and women are hilarious.

On topic, a display room, in the living room, whatever is fine, in the bedroom...doesn't work for one night stands/picking up. I had them everywhere in my living room when i was single, no problems getting laid or girlfriends.

2. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Don't do it. Your soul mate shouldn't make you chose between her and your hobby. If she has a problem with it, break up wit her

3. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    Good luck either way

4. abe_sapien

abe_sapien Well-Known Member

Take them out of the bedroom. Sure, some girl you decide to have a relationship with will eventually know you collect, but you will NEVER get to that point if they see the toys in the bedroom. I'm not gonna feed you the "don't change for anyone" or "they should love you for you" bullshit. It's all about first impressions. The reality is that initially, everyone judges. So if you want to be alone for a while, keep them in the room. If you don't however, well, you know what must be done.

5. Cattus Doctus

Cattus Doctus Whiskered Questicon

I am afraid that this is true. My family and friends have come to regard my collection as an idiosyncratic curiosity, but initially they just thought of it as 'strange' (I think my mother-in-law still does in fact, lol). We're a minority around here; most people think of 'toys' as something for children only (even if they often collect other things themselves).

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's wrong with having that shit in the bedroom? As long as its tasteful, a good woman will appreciate it. The ones who don't probably won't be cool with the hobby in general, and as such, probably aren't the ones for us anyway. Key part being that its gotta be neat, tho.

7. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. move most into a collection room
    2. keep a small amount (maybe some large/nice ones) in the bedroom, but nothing overwhelming

-

8. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

It took me...them a long weekend. 4 days.

9. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Lavender - the most evil of colours...

News Credits:
    There is actually, it's where I met my wife, but that's off-topic for a toy discussion.

10. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

if you have another room you could dedicate to them, go for it. maybe keep a small section in the bedroom. thats what id probably do.

11. Huffington

Huffington Banned

I'd scale back the living space toys and try to consolidate into one room. If you have the space a collector's room allows you to have a set space while also showing that you can keep your shit together and not let it overtake your life. I think with potential dates, it wouldn't be so much worrying about what you collect (if they don't like your hobby, there's a good chance you aren't all that compatible anyways) it's about you being able to be clean and organized. I think that would be the biggest issue. Though it's hard to say in regards to you as I'm not seeing what it actually looks like.

12. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    To answer OP's question, if someone doesn't want you to be you move on. Life's too short to hang around with people who can't accept you and your interest areas.

I'm than lucky enough to have friends who are fellow geeks and TF enthusiasts and a wife who likes the area too.

13. dinorobo

dinorobo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    uh

Can we please pretend that we're not all knuckle-draggers for a moment? This comment is beyond sexist, super immature, off-topic, trollish, and embarassing. They're all sluts? Your mom? My sister? My daughter? There are so many things wrong with this post, I can't.. I just can't.

Seriously dude, you're gross and probably embarrassing most of the other people here. Please keep this stuff out of here.

14. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Wrong place to ask.

I would never ask woman advice from men, let along a bunch of fanboys.

Although, you can check out other peeps set up in the collection thread. A lot of them are quite tasteful.

This thread smells more like a project. Use your time to build yourself a tasteful way to display your collection. Sentinel has a pretty good set up. Let me look for it.

15. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

16. OptimusPrimeFour

OptimusPrimeFour Autobot Supreme Comander

That would be a dream come true to find a girl that also collects transformers.

17. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    My entire collection is in my ( our ) room. It's displayed in a way though that it doesn't look like a 5 year old lives in there. I'd keep them in your room if it makes you happy. Plus your in good shape you said right? The chick will forget all about your toys once your shirt comes off an she sees abs popping out. ( trust me ) it's worked for me too lol.

18. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Follow this advise. It may sound cliche but that is true. If she truly loves you, she should accept that part of you. You don't want to be in a relationship where your other half thinks sh*t about what you love to do.

But be upfront with it. When I was looking for my significant other, I would always tell the girl upfront that I collect toys as a hobby and see what her reaction would be. If she tells me that I'm acting like a kid, etc., I move on. Luckily for me, I found a girl that loves my hobby (I think she loves it more than I do though, LOL).

So yeah, you'll be able to find another girl that would love you as a whole. You just need a whole lot of patience. Don't rush it.

Edit: I forgot to answer your question, don't move it. There's always this great feeling of waking up in the morning and seeing your partner/wife beside you with your collection around you. It's weird, I know. :D 

19. OptimusPrimeFour

OptimusPrimeFour Autobot Supreme Comander

Thanks man. The biggest pain I feel was that she was awesome and perfect and then out of no where i come home to her saying she don't love me anymore and she has to go. its like everything was good and out of no where bam she don't care at all.

20. shellformer

shellformer @

I would actually recommend against having a dedicated TF room. A dedicated "hobby workshop" room is a decent idea if you have the space because it's useful for multiple things but a bunch of shelves just crammed with a pile of robots is a bit too much and kind of contextless. Try having a handful of transformers as regular decorations spread out in the house and simply rotate which ones you display every once in a while. That'd be a lot more meaningful and, well, tasteful.