Need collection advice badly

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OptimusPrimeFour, Jun 12, 2014.

?

After reading my situation should I keep my collection in the bedroom?

1. Keep them in the bedroom

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Take them out of bedroom and in a collection room

35 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    i dont know. you shouldnt hide who you are, but i dont think its wise to appear so over-eccentric as to line your bedroom with them when you know it could be off-putting to a new girl. I say move to one room if youre dating. if not, go nuts.
    if i met a girl with a room of barbies, okay... room + bedroom? ehhhhhh.....

im actually going through this tomorrow night, new girl comin to the crib. all detolfs are stored in my office anyway. its "my" room: its got my turntables, Tfs, PCs, huge Adult Swim bus shelter posters, paraphernalia....etc.

i also really like what the last guy said about things having their place.

2. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Excellent point.

TF and Bedroom don't mix. My wife said to me once, "I think it's cool you have a hobby and all, but just don't put those things in our bedroom, or you won't get any. I don't need 1,000 figures staring at us in the bedroom!"

I wasn't going to put them there anyway, but still. That's the woman's approach. TF is one thing. Hot Toys is probably even worse.

3. deaculpa

News Credits:
    Or do it tastefully, heh. My guest bathroom.
    I saw this dude with this super sweet living room setup too, looking for the photo.

Edit. Found it. Use your creativity bro.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      File size:
      107.3 KB
      Views:
    • .jpg
      .jpg
      File size:
      42.6 KB
      Views:
  4. halfaway

halfaway Did you think you were cool?

that's handy, the little dude is holding a q-tip

5. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, but he is going to heat up that tooth pick and get it all hot and shit, then put it on your nut sack till its all like Tssssssssssssssssssssssss.

13 champbers of death, QTip style!

6. deaculpa

News Credits:
    :lol  x 50

7. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

I think you have some leeway until you are about 30. My hobby really only picked up when I was about 30, but I've realized over the years that it's best to put the figures in your own room away from things. Especially when a girl is involved. It's one thing if you're buddies are coming over, but another thing with the females.

So definitely get the out of the bedroom. A hobby is one thing, but you don't want to appear obsessed. And at what point does a hobby become obsessed? 200 figs? 500+ figs? Just say it out loud, "I have 500 action figures." Does it sound strange? I have about 150 figures and I find myself not being able to appreciate them all. I'm almost getting to the point of buy-this-one and find-the-next-one.

8. paramedicprime

paramedicprime Banned

If I were you I wouldn't change a thing! I agree with another poster that said you probably need some time alone and uninvolved with anyone else for a while! I hope this helps!

9. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bummer about your relationship.

I claim no expertise on women. They are strange, mysterious, and unpredictable creatures. If you find the right one, she'll let you know what to do with the figures (and you'll know she's the right one when you care more about her opinion than how your figures are displayed).

10. puma

puma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    it's your house, give them their own room. My wife doesn't mind my collection but doesn't want it over taking the house. So it's in its own room where the door pretty much stays closed unless i'm in there. Keeps everyone happy. You can keep a few toys in your living room as a decoration so when the ladies come over, they'll ask and then you can bring up the hobby that way. Last thing you want is the toys acting like a cock block when you're rounding third base and heading for home having them displayed in your bed room. Just saying. Sorry about the break up. I know it sucks. Don't rush into anything and take some time to be alone for a while. Go buy some Grails.

11. Scar04c

Scar04c Big Game Hunter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I really feel for your relationship there, man, I'm very sorry. Never a good feeling when something that felt solid falls apart. I wish you the best, and hope you find some happiness in the future with a new lady.

So far as organizing goes, I'm very fortunate in that my fiancée loves my collection, and basically lets me put them wherever I want. So, right now, in the bedroom I have a setup of some favorites, and in the living room I have all my MPs and some other ones. Unfortunately we don't have more space than that, so most of my stuff is in storage, but one we buy a house I'm sure we'll either have a joint collection room (we collect Pop! Vinyl together, and she collects Breyer Horses) or disperse them throughout the house.

I don't think that you should worry too much about what a new woman will think right now. It's only been a few weeks, and it's an emotional time. If your collection and your hobby mean a lot to you, then I say display it. Being a "nerd" these days isn't even uncool, necessarily, and I don't think that having it out will ward off any potential prospects.

So, if the hobby is important, it should feel that way, not be hidden away so no one can see it. Once you have someone moving in again, then figure out what you'll do. But for now, my suggestion is: Put them where you like them. Where they will make you happy. Your bedroom setup sounds awesome, and if you like it, I say keep it.

12. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Other people have probably said it already, but a bedroom should just be a bedroom. Maybe a few hobby related things, but nothing overpowering.

When my girlfriend moved in with me the first thing I did was to move my collection to another room.
    That turned into a 3 day project.
    At the time I only had two bookcases of displayed stuff, with about 3 more bookcases worth of stuff to display, and the room I was moving it into had about 15 years worth of accumulated family "rubbish" including a broken king-sized bed.

In the end I had a happy girlfriend and my own collection area. If you've got or can afford the space I'd firmly say to go with the relocation of collection idea.

13. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

I loled at your pic. Very clever...How long did the constructicons take to set the room up?

14. Alucard77

News Credits:
    That's tigerblades setup. That has grown a bit.

Actually I wonder what it looks like now.

15. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

This. Most women wouldnt find a single man with some toys wierd in any way. When you find someone you think will accept you...not too long after you start dating but when you reach the point where you decide you WANT to date his girl and see where it leads is a good point on discussing your interest... Women like a guy to have passion about something, rarely would it teally be a detriment to a good relationship.

16. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I think it also depends on age. I find that 20 year old girls have this skew on reality. They expect a man to be a specific way and don't accept less. By 30, they haven't found that type of man, and are willing to over look certain aspects. By 40, they realize it was all bullshit and at the end of the day, if some one care for you and you care for them, every one has some crazy shit about them.

Now, I realize this is not all woman, so don't jump down my throat about it. But these are the cases I have seen. Granted, I live/lived in NY area, where women tend to be a little more demanding. I have a feeling these age skews differ by region.

17. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I'd keep them contained to a room...especially if I were single. There's a difference between being accepting vs having to participate in a hobby (ie: having them surround you.) Unless the girl is a TF collector too, she's probably not going to think it's cool or cute to have toys all over the house. Confined to a room, better chance they think it's something neat and/or harmless vs something they have to decide early on if they want to sign up and be a part of, before they've really made up their mind about you.

But if that's what makes you happy...do it your way. Just don't expect others to share your enthusiasm, and remember, whether you yourself like cats or not, you go in a house where there are 20 of them, you're going to wonder about the person. It's weird. The person might turn out to be awesome, but it's probably going to throw up flags and you may be that much quicker to bail over something else small, if not for that reason alone.

18. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

I like the idea of dedicating a collection room/office if you can spare the space. I wouldn't want to take up like a guestroom or something though but hey, it's your house :cool: .

Hang in there though man!

19. Catatronic

Catatronic Banned

OR you can stay single, take full control of your life & enjoy true freedom. Make 100% of your decisions with nobody to pull you in the wrong direction & nobody to bitch, moan, nag, yell, belittle or PMS on your ass. Nobody to give you shit about your collection & most importantly nobody to burn all YOUR money.

I don't understand why guys put themselves through all that BS. Is that nasty, smelly hole really worth the ridiculously high price you have to pay? I personally can't stand constantly worrying about some other guy pounding her when I'm not around. They're all sluts! Too difficult to find one that can actually keep her legs together.

20. drgatz

drgatz Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like the idea of a dedicated room for several reasons.

1) There's something wonderful and awe-inspiring about just walking into a dedicated sanctuary space filled with everything you like in the world, unadulterated by other things (clothes, bed, dressers, memories of an ex).

2) I actually find the process of re-organizing and displaying toys a very fun project, no matter how big or small. My collection's on the small size as is my space to exhibit them (single display case in a shared spare room/office for fiancé and myself) but every few months I add new stuff, re-arrange, adjust the shelves, move stuff into storage, etc.

3) I think a separation of your (in my opinion awesome) hobby and the rest of your living space demonstrates maturity without compromising what you love. You're a grown adult; you (presumably) work, you own a house (good for you!) and you can draw a distinction between what makes you happy/taps into your youthful side and what makes you a functional adult.

On the one hand, you are not an 8 year-old kid with shit splayed all across your carpet, walls, and furniture invading every inch of your room; while that can be cute. On the other hand, you are not so ashamed of your hobby you have to hide it under your bed and only look at it under the cover of night when you're all alone.

Just because you don't want to compromise what you like for another person (you shouldn't) doesn't mean you should hit the other person over the head with it to the point where they feel uncomfortable being in your bedroom. Especially in the scenario where you want to find and invite someone special into your life, you don't want to create the impression that they are intruding into your fortress of solitude.

Good luck man.