Need collection advice badly

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OptimusPrimeFour, Jun 12, 2014.

?

After reading my situation should I keep my collection in the bedroom?

1. Keep them in the bedroom

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Take them out of bedroom and in a collection room

35 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    That's what motels are for, my friend.

2. OptimusPrimeFour

OptimusPrimeFour Autobot Supreme Comander

3. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Dude, it sounds like you've been through hell. I wouldn't worry about getting into another relationship for a while. Grieve and then learn to enjoy life again. Have fun and be selfish for a while before you have to share and compromise with someone else again.

If you're looking to have fun with some chicks for a bit and you're worried about what they'll think of your collection, your average girl would probably get freaked out and turned off. She might think you're a man-child obsessed with children's toys, but a chick you know digs comics, sci-fi, and fantasy ahead of time surely wouldn't care and might even be impressed. When you are ready for a relationship again, maybe in year or so, you're going to want a girl who accepts you for who you are, so think about that.

4. jamspeed

jamspeed Follow me on Instagram _jamspeed_

Ebay:
    No toys in the bedroom, if they are children's toys that is :wink: 

5. OptimusPrimeFour

I guess you are right... I just can't get over the alone feeling and feel like I need a women in my life wether its a one night stand or as far a long term relationship and I just don't know if the figures in the bedroom will seriously hurt my chances at any girl who comes my way. I mean currently I also have some in living room and more in office room and those I will not give up for any women no matter how hot. Because they have to understand I am a collector and it a big part of my life. But is having them in the bedroom considered to much? or going to far?

6. kgorman79

kgorman79 WAVE POUNDER

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I don't keep any of my collection permanently in the bedroom, the rooms not big enough for any extra shelves in addition to the bedroom furniture. But if i had the room, i'd probably keep some there. She's pretty cool with any of my figures being anywhere in the house. I came home the other day to find masterpiece prowl sitting on my bedside cabinet and i'd not put it there!
    When we moved into the new place i was going to take all my figures and put them in my new man cave upstairs but she wanted me to have figures in the living room so there's some there too. There's definitely lots of women out there that will be supportive of your collecting and where you want to keep them in the house. Just don't be put off if you don't find one immediately. Like some other folks have said, take your time getting used to being single again before you dive into dating again. I think it was about 4 months before i went on a date after my breakup.

Also, i'd love 6 detolfs in my living room! I'm a bit jealous!

7. OptimusPrimeFour

yea the detolfs are pretty cool to have. So you think i should leave the collection in the room alone for now?

8. MP1OptimusPrime

MP1OptimusPrime Well-Known Member

You should absolutely move them into your collection room. A girl that truly loves you will be OK with your hobby (maybe even enthusiastic about it), but it is something that's generally considered "weird," so you don't want to spring it on them all at once.

9. Orion Type61

Orion Type61 The Lone Gundam

Be up front about it and don't make a big deal about it. Keep them in one area. Maybe don't display all 2k? Good luck man!

10. Acesan

Acesan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My advice - you're in rebound mode right now. There will be other women - better women . Don't be afraid to take it easy right now. Being single has advantages too.

Btw if it was me, I'd probably put away the bedroom ones and maybe put some of the living room ones in storage and leave favorite pieces out.

11. Decepticon32

Decepticon32 But Prime!

Keep them out of the bedroom. You and a potential new lady can appreciate your collection, but that's just what it is, your collection. The bedroom belongs to both parties and while a significant other can be respectful of your collection, they shouldn't feel like it's being shoved down their throat every time they go to bed.

I collect things too and appreciate my Transformers, but there just really isn't anything all that appealing/sexy/intimate about staring at them in the bedroom.

My advice: If you have the means to do it, put them in a separate room you can call your own. Should a serious lady friend come around, let her have the same option.

12. kgorman79

kgorman79 WAVE POUNDER

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    If it was me i'd leave everything as it is for now, why change something that you get pleasure out of, but in the end it's your decision. You may change things in the future but don't let that decision be based on your recent breakup. How you're felling now will definitely not be how you're feeling in 1months time never mind 2,3,4 months down the line.

As i said earlier i considered for a long time moving everything, but in the end left everything as it was and took a chance that the girl i brought round to my place wouldn't be put off by it. How i look at it is that there's a million things that you can worry about when dating, and most of them will be pointless worrying about. If you like her and she likes you then its pretty straight forward and a load of transformers around the house isn't going to put her off.

I actually just remembered the thing that my present partner thought weird when i invited her round to my house the first time. It was the potpourri bowl on the coffee table.... It actually made her laugh. I thought that she'd like the look and the smell of something nice (being female and all), she thought it was weird that i had a bowl of pink, fragrant dried out plants and flowers in the room!

13. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Here is the thing. If you're looking to meet some one, don't be apologetic about yourself. If you collect Transformers, you collecting fucking transformers. Just who you are.

Do you want to start any relationship hiding something? Not worth it.

If the chick doesn't like you, because you collect transformers, then do you really want to be with a chick that shallow anyway?

Everyone has their quirks. If your willing to accept theirs, they should be willing to accept yours.

Now, if your whole life is toy collecting, then the issues is not how many you have, your issue is that you have to find other things that are interesting about you that would attract the opposite sex.

I tell you, a good topic of conversation is not, "hey did you see Scoria, man that is one sweet Transformer." It would be similar to her saying, "The 2014 Louis Vitton line is ubber sweet."

14. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    good points here, collecting is part of who you are. if you were to show a new woman in your life that you collect as a hobby and she bolts for the door ask your self if thats the woman you really want in your life?

if a potential new partner likes you for who you are she would care very little that you had a hobby and embrace it.

but yes keep your collection in one place away from the bedroom however and keep the bedroom as a place of zen and peacefulness. thats what i do at least.

15. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was in your shoes a few years ago. I had all my collection mainly set up in one of the spare bedrooms. With some in the living room, some in the dining room, some in the master bedroom. Sometime I would get why do you have toys all over the place. At the time I was thinking of selling the house and moving back to Pittsburgh, Pa. So I pack up all the toys and only keep a few highlights of my collection out. Like my Diaclone Ultra Magnus and carded Defensor. In a small glass display case. But then I found my best friend. Not a whole lot of people cause say they have a wife like mine. I hear all the time at shows, Let me call my wife and see if it's ok to pull out another 200 or 300 out of the account. I do not have that problem cause when my wife attended Botcon in 2011 she drop just a little over 200 dollars on a Japan version of g1 smokescreen.

So if I was you. I would take them out of the bedroom and only put out a few of your highlights of your collection. This way when she a few of them you can talk about it, Explain to her it's your hobby, and that You hope on day to have a room just from the toys. Hopefully you will either find someone that is ok with your hobby or find someone like my wife that also collects transformers as well

16. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    Hey OPFour,even tho I have my collection in my bedroom and my girlfriend knows all about them I would suggest moving them,and even tho I know its not true and I have to remind myself that these are inanimate objects it does sometimes makes me wonder with all those robot eyes staring back at me.

But I may or may not be alone when it comes to that I do sometimes wish they didn't stare back at me.Anyway in regards of moving them out or keeping them in your bedroom I just say in your house that there is no right or wrong answer to what you want to do when it comes to your collection.Hope that helps.

Oh and as for your ex fiance I just say this and even tho it may seem harsh its really not meant as that toward you,but its better to find out she was a total nutcase for leaving you the way she did but now you don't have to worry about her taking you for half your money if yall ever married and then got a divorce,you are way better off without her in your life,and hope that helps.Later.

17. halfaway

halfaway Did you think you were cool?

I'm sure there is nothing like rose peddles on the bed, candle light and Optimus prime
    I say take them out of the bedroom / maybe a few on a small shelf if any

18. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't hide them or anything or be shy of her seeing your collection. She will eventually anyway if she's into you. Keep them out in the open, it's a part of who you are.

Bedroom though is a nono for me. Collections and hobbys have their place, and unless you have no other alternative or place to keep them, bedroom is a last resort.

Honestly I find it creepy as shit with those girls that collect dolls or stuffed animals then have bedrooms full of that shit staring at you. It's not a slam on their hobby or collection at all, it's just creepy to have in the bedroom. Imo, anyways. Take that as you will :lol 

19. bmking16

bmking16 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  20. dinorobo

dinorobo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just some food for thought.. and this really only applies to adults.. But, for what it's worth, there is a lot to making one's sleep space a simple, comfortable, functional space that is really just about what happens in the bed - sleep, sex or otherwise.

I don't bring food into my office. I don't bring work stuff into my kitchen or my bedroom. I don't bring toys into the bathroom or the cooking area of the kitchen (We have a large kitchen table which is used for bricktoy assemmbly, it's an exception)...

Don't get me wrong, my house is LITTERED with toys - I have a 5 year old and am a hardcore collector, and my wife owns a number of toys as well.. But they don't show up in my bedroom, or the bathroom, or the kitchen counter, ever.

My point is that there is a lot of value in figuring a little feng sheui into your living space. In fact, I would suggest that managing a collection of any significant size really requires it.

If you keep your collection in your bedroom for a sense of personal security (given all the stuff you've been through, it would be understandable)... well, that's something for you to address on a personal level. I think plenty of collectors have looked at their toys at some point and realized that they go to their collection as a release or distraction, as stated upthread.

That's the long way of saying that I vote for collections out of the bedroom whenever possible. Just my two.