Ned Starking Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lovecraft, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Some fans seem to want a new direction in Transformers that focuses on new characters and ideas than before.

Some fans want to move on from Optimus. I like the guy I really do but I see where some people are coming from.

How would you feel if a new Transformers story on TV, films, or comics was bold enough to tell a solid Transformers story, and they nailed Optimus Prime got him just right, whatever that means to you, but then they KILLED HIM. Early. End of S1/ mid season 2 and the difference here from every other time is he will stay dead, as will any other characters who die, but his death will have a massive impact on the plot and all of its characters.

Very similar to Ned Stark in that sense. Also in a broader scope a TF story where characters die then they stay dead forever.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Nemesis Scar

Nemesis Scar Behind Blue Eyes

Tumblr:
    Do it.

3. Makarov

Makarov Well-Known Member

Sounds fine to me. Even offing him in G1 was a good way to develop hot rod / rodimus in my opinion. It works for the heroes.

Although I prefer they don't kill off Megatron... Galvatron was awesome because he was still somewhat Megatron in another form. But I suppose Soundwave or Shockwave could step up into main villain role.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I would be happy to see Optimus gone for good in a series. There has to be other capable leaders in the Autobot ranks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Runamuck86

Runamuck86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rather than kill him again, I would rather just have another series set away from the main cast such as Beast Wars 2 or Victory.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

It goes without saying that Hasbro would never have the guts to make a series where he's even just a background character, much less permanently kill him off. Believe me I'd like to see guys like Magnus, or Hot Rod, or someone else get a chance to be leader or develop into the role over time, but Hasbro is firmly entrenched in the idea that the iconic character, the face of the franchise, must always be there. You can blame the backlash of killing him off in the original movie for their aversion to risk-taking of this degree. Sure, they might temporarily kill him off, but death is cheap and everyone knows they can just bring their heroes back free of consequence.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I wouldn't care for it. It'd be more shock value than quality storytelling, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 4
  8. MetalStorm

MetalStorm Click Click Boom!

He's kinda background in Rescue Bots

• Like Like x 4
  9. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Definitely a guest star in RID15 although he gets his fair share of focus.

• Like Like x 2
  10. CountDrunkula

CountDrunkula Sturdy Beard

News Credits:
    Killing off classic characters is not only a bad idea, but today is invariably seen as impermanent and/or an attempt to ramp up public interest/get a fast infusion of cash.

I would be down for challenging a writer's room to come up with a storyline that completely removes OP and Megs from being involved in any way and includes a diverse cast of classic and new TFs, but none of whom have been high focus or high profile in the past (no Starscream, no Grimmy, no [much as it pains me to say it] Windblade).

11. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    meh, what about a series of what's going on on Cybertron while the main crew is frozen in time in the ark on earth?

It's not that hard to figure out. And reference to OP in flashbacks before he left would make him "present" but not a main character.

• Like Like x 3
  12. K2flygurl

K2flygurl Banned

Optimus died and came back so many times I won’t be surprise if they made a joke out of that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Who the fuck is Ned Stark?

• Like Like x 3
  14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

The male lead in Game of Thrones season one. He's a really solid, charismatic, well reputed, honorable warrior-leader who's attempt to save the king from a coup led to him being beheaded publicly by the new guard. His death sends shockwaves through the 'Seven Kingdoms' and motivates all sorts of plot developments and conflicts.

So in a Cybertron set, fleshed out 'fall of society and civil war' story I think portraying a kick ass rock solid Optimus and then killing him permanently would put the overexposed Big Red Truck to bed for a series and then push the story and its characters into new interesting directions.

15. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Boromir’s doppelgänger.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

Rather than killing Prime I'd rather they make him like the TF: Animated version of Ultra Magnus, far above the scope & pay grade of the main characters of a potential series that does not star prime.

• Like Like x 2
  17. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^This. Build new stories with a new cast in a way that doesn’t destroy the originals.

• Like Like x 3
  18. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I pretty much disregard any opinion/post/whatever the second they use a fictional character's name as a verb, doubly so if it's a TVTropes link.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Thank you for your constructive contribution.

20. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Shall I try again?

Posing in meme or trope or gif is not edgy and makes someone look incapable of anything short of groupthink.

That being said, I think it's lazy writing to simply kill off characters solely because some edgelords think that they're "boring" (once again, when I read anyone say that I hear Moriarty from Sherlock, and that's not a compliment) and replacing them with someone who they claim is "morally ambiguous" since that is more "interesting", which usually winds up being a character who is morally bankrupt instead.

You have your edgelord tryhard TF fiction already, it's call the Prime Wars trilogy, and I personally don't want that becoming the standard.

• Like Like x 2