my weak theory why the Porsche is called Mirage.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Blitz., Jul 27, 2021.

1. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't often post in the movie sub forum but I've not seen anyone bring this up and I hope it can maybe shed some light (maybe) why the Porsche is called Mirage and not Jazz. This is defiantly more for fun then an actual serious idea so I'm more then likely totally wrong.

So it's nothing to do with G1. Rather like Dino the name is a homage to the car's history and doesn't have any connection to the Transformer character.

Why? during the 80's one of the biggest tuners of German cars was a man called Uwe Gamballa and his company of the same name Gamballa. They were in the business of making some of the most insane cars of the 80's onward and are known for being rather ugly by today's standards but stupid quick. But they got started with making flat nose conversions for 930's to emulate the 935 before Porsche started making their own.

These tuning packages were given their own names depending on the base car such as Avalanche and Cyyrus. One of their best known and one of their quickest was called... Mirage!

Do the Gamballa Mirage's look like the one in tf7? No not even close but it's a nice little nod to Porsche tuning history.

the Mirage evolutione basically for the oil baron with all the money
    42ea50cc60ae16541cdf186aa8ecff97.jpg

the Avalanche with it's distinctive flat nose conversion
    642937.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you're putting more thought into it than the people who decided he should be a porsche did.
    My theory is that the movie needed a character who headbutted with Optimus and was a fast-car, so they picked the name Mirage when they asked Hasbro what names would fit. Same old.

• Like Like x 12
  3. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Or it will be revealed as Jazz soon.

• Like Like x 2
  4. cybeast

cybeast Not Spinister, But Punster

I don't think there's any theory behind it all, they just choose what looks and sounds cool like usual.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yodoswaginz

Yodoswaginz Well-Known Member

I honestly don't care about Mirage being a porsche. All I care about is that he is a well written character.

Like seriously, the problem with the previous films isn't the designs. It's that the robots are nothing more than props for the human characters to react to.They don't have characters, they don't have story arcs, in fact most of them act more like dogs than people. If they fix this they can have Mirage turn into whatever they want and I'll be happy.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    I don't think the people working on the film put too much thought into the naming, but points for coming up with an interesting theory that makes a bit of sense.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

Honestly, with the blue and silver scheme, it looks more like Bluestreak to me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    I'm sure it's zero to do with it, but an interesting little thought process and connection there!

9. sikkusushotto

sikkusushotto Well-Known Member

If I was a filmmaker who respects the source material and its fans but had to make certain changes due to some constraints such as sponsorship, contracts, realism and so on, I would try and find an in-universe way to make the changes viable.

In this case, let's say I'm forced to make Mirage, a blue and white F1 car into a blue and white Porsche, something which might cause conflict with another character who is a blue and white Porsche. Some options are:
    1. Acknowledge the other form. Have a car showroom or something with a rotating platform on which a Ligier F1 car is displayed. Next to it, parked just outside the showroom window, visible in the same shot or after some panning, is a blue and white Porsche, perhaps belonging to the owner of the showroom. Then have protoform Mirage look longingly at the F1 car, then perhaps back and forth between the F1 car and the Porsche but then decide to scan the Porsche instead in order to blend in better. Maybe as he's walking away he turns back to the F1 car one final time and says something like "I'll come back for you".

2. Have Jazz choose the alt-mode for Mirage. Have Mirage land on Earth, radio Jazz (audio only casting, no need to model Jazz) and ask for directions or something. As Mirage is exploring his new surroundings, have Jazz, who is able to see what Mirage is seeing, notice a blue and white Porsche and exclaim what a cool vehicle it is and urge Mirage to scan it, perhaps saying something like "when I get there, I'm scanning the same vehicle" or "enjoy it while you have it, when I get there I'm taking it off your hands".

3. Have Mirage be the F1 car for a while. Have him land or appear near a race track holding a vintage racing day. He scans a Ligier F1 and attempts to exit the area. Along the way he and his hologram driver are stopped (either once or maybe make it a funny montage of several stops with him giving increasingly exasperated or outlandish justifications). He realises he cannot exist in the world outside in this form, he finds a blue and white Porsche in the race track car park, exclaims "close enough", scans it, then drives out.

All it takes is some care and a couple of minutes. If only we had filmmakers that cared.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I suspect the reason will be situational. From what I understand, the Porsche 911 was something of a status symbol during this era...the sort of thing well-off doctors and whatnot (but not super rich people) owned. Didn't that (supposed) leaked script feature a party scene? If that that script isn't fake, it seems likely that Mirage is posing as one of the partygoers' cars, and Anthony Ramos' character might try to steal it, kickstarting the adventure. If that's the case, the filmmakers probably picked the Porsche 911 because it would be a desirable target for a thief during this era.

This exact thing might not happen, but you get the idea.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The name reuse is likely from Hasbro. These filmmakers would rather make new names more than anything for these kinds of characters, but they take Hasbro's suggestions. It's an inconsistent process but that's what I surmised how it works majority of the time.

12. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    There's probably an element of truth to that. But with Hasbro trying to shore up G1 with Evergreen designs, it seems a bit odd to present Mirage as a Porsche. Basically, Goldner doesn't care and just wants names to be regurgitated any way they can for retention and Lorenzo only cares as much as Bay's movie legacy is retained, franchise legacy be damned.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    It's been stated that Mirage takes on multiple alternate modes throughout the film. My prediction is that he will essentially act as a sort of "triple changer" that can change his vehicle form depending on the situation. From a visual standpoint, I could see it being similar to the Incredibile from The Incredibles.

14. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    my theory is...the filmmakers wanted mirage to be a Porsche

15. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Sorry, I just look very gouda. That was cheesy.

Maybe Mirage is to keep Jazz under wraps? Or maybe, it really is Mirage.

• Like Like x 1
  16. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Man, that car looks fine af.