Customs: My Transformers project

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Afigitus the Wanderer, May 6, 2019.

1. Afigitus the Wanderer

Afigitus the Wanderer Member

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm rather disappointed with modern Transformers toys.
    They're too easy to transform, they're getting more expensive, and they're getting too boring, IMO. 3rd Party and the Masterpieces still have my respect and appreciation.

I've thought about designing my own Transformers toyline. For the past couple of years, I've thought about what I wanted for my Transformers, and I have figured just about everything.

What's the name of this toyline? It's...
    Transformers: Series X

"X" symbolized the unknown, in case you didn't know.

Now, without any further ado...

What is the project about?

My Transformers project will be a collection of various characters from various Transformers cartoons and some from my Transformers fic. Where Hasbro only makes Transformers to make money, I'll be creating my Transformers as a form of art! In fact, my Transformers make Hasbro's look like the G1 toys!

Which Transformers cartoons will be in Series X?

G1
    Beast Wars
    Beast Machines
    Armada
    Energon
    Cybertron
    Rescue Bots

The appearance of my Transformers may, and probably will, differ a bit from their cartoon appearances due to my personal design choices or some other reasons.

I'll also be adding characters from my Transformers story and my MLP/Transformers mix. Yes, you heard that correctly--a mix of both MLP and Transformers.

What qualities will the Series X Transformers have?

When I first thought about Series X, I thought to myself, "What do I want in a Transformers toy?" So, after some thinking, I came up with these qualities:
    More complex transformations
    I really don't like how overly simple the transformations are getting these days. It's really embarrassing because it half-asses the "puzzle" aspect of what makes a Transformer toy. I took inspiration from the Bayformers for the transformation complexity/style for Series X. Hey, it's probably the only good thing to come out of the Bay Transformers movies, besides the toys, of course.

More realistic vehicle/beast/etc modes

Speaking of Bayformers, has anybody noticed that they look like the vehicle parts were arranged to resemble a humanoid shape? It's like they tried to make the transformer from the vehicles themselves. I'll be doing the opposite. I'll be designing my Transformers to be able to take the shape of the vehicle, both inside and out. I'll be doing something similar to what Alternators did for realism, but I'll be going a step further.

More articulation and posability

You know how the transformation gets in the way of, and often sacrifices, articulation and posability? I mean, waist articulation is almost non-existent, and most we ever get is shoulder, elbow, wrist, neck, hi, and knee articulation. Series X's figures will be designed so the transformation won't affect the articulation and posability of the robot and beast modes. Aside from the mentioned articulations, there'll also be finder, back/spine, ankle, jaw (usually for beast modes), and toe and tail (if they have toes and tails, usually beast modes) articulation.

Less (bad) gimmicks

Don't you just hate it when there are gimmicks that just ruin and/or add nothing to a Transformer toy itself, or if the toy itself revolves around a gimmick? Take Alpha Quintesson as an example. (I own this toy, BTW.) Outside of the face-switching gimmick, which was the primary function of the toy, the other 2 gimmicks (moving tendrils by sliding the figure from side to side and the gun on its back) contribute nothing to the figure and were ultimately pointless. Overall, Alpha Q's toy was a real disappointment and very disrespectful to the character and the only Quintesson that Hasbro has ever released! Other than the G1 Quintessons, I don't know why 3Ps haven't made their own Alpha Q figure.

Believe me, since no one has did Alpha Q justice, I'll be the first, as Primus and Unicron as my witnesses! (I wonder if Vector Prime would appreciate this, too?)

Anything else you can tell us about Series X?

The scaling
    Scaling has been largely been ignored, both in the toys and cartoons. In the G1 cartoon, most of the Transformers were the same size, but the Bay movies scaled them based in their alt-mode's size.
    In the Cybertron cartoon, the Minicons were about the size of an average human adult in robot mode, but their vehicle modes were the accurate size of their respected vehicles. Also, Cybertron Jetfire's alt-mode is huge, but his robot mode is of (presumably) average Cybertronain height.
    I've thought about making the robot modes' size be based on the alt-mode's size, but some will either be too small or too big, and it would be a mess to figure out. Plus, the limbs for G1 Bruiticus would be like this. Yeah, very uncanny.

I'm gonna do what the G1 cartoon did and make the robot modes around the same size and height, regardless of their alt-modes' size. I'll be using the canon heights of the G1 characters as a reference.

For the toy sizes, I've took a look at my (reissue) G1 Megatron toy and thought, "What if I based the heights on G1 Megatron's heigh if his Walther P38 gun mode was the accurate size to its IRL counterpart?" Then I searched if anybody had figured this out, and I found this, and according the vid, if G1 Megatron's gun mode's was accurate to its IRL counterpart, his robot mode height would be 17cm (≈6.7in), which is about Voyager Class.

G1 Megatron's canon height is 6m (19.7ft), and by my calculations, 1ft would equal ≈0.34in (≈8.64mm).

The conversion scale
    You know how the back of the back tells you how many steps it takes to transform the figure, right? Does anybody else remember the scale that was used in the Generations (2010), Reveal the Shield, and Hunt for the Decepticons lines?

I'll be doing a combination of both.

On the Series X boxes, the front will tell you the level and hope many steps it'll take to transform the figure. This is the conversion scale that will be on the boxes:
    Level 0: Non-Converting
    Level 1: Basic
    Level 2: Easy
    Level 3: Intermediate
    Level 4: Advanced
    Level 5: Expert

Instead of "Every Easy," I changed to "Basic" because it would be redundant.

The higher the conversion level, the more steps there will be.
    A very special feature
    I've literally never seen this been done before. I've designed the majority of Series X Transformers to have their chest open and reveal their spark, and you can take it out, too. (I just realized that you can literally remove the Transformers' soul! That's dark. 0_0)
    The sparks will be 1cm (≈0.4in) in diameter.
    Now, some figures will be too small to have a spark put into them. I might make the spark smaller. Like G1 Rumble's canon height is 2m, which equates to 5cm (≈2.231in) in the toy form. I could make the shorter figures' sparks 0.25in (≈0.64cm).

I'll all depend of the figure's size, really.

Can anybody tell me why Transmetal 2 Cheetor's spark was in his left hip?

The packaging
    The boxes will look similar to G1 packaging with somethings I've added, such as the conversion scale I mentioned. The front will show the character's face, their race (ex. Cybertronian), alliance, and which series they're from (ex. Beast Wars).

There are several more details that would take a while to explain, but it'll be good.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————
    Well, that's all I can think of for Series X at the moment. I hope you like the idea.
    I'll be 3D printing these figures, and I want them to be as smooth as possible, like how the offical (and 3rd Party) Transformers come out. Here's what I'm talking about. You can see that the image on the left is a 3D printed object and it's not smooth, but the image on the right is the object smoothed out. That's what I'm going for.

Do you have any questions about it?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Berser Car

Berser Car Well-Known Member

Tumblr:
    Love how ambitious this project is. While I'm not that fond of overly complicated transformations, you have my support.
    Please share some desings once you put them to paper (or whatever 3d modelling program you prefer).

3. octobotimus

octobotimus Decepticon Intelligence

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dam that is .... wow. That is true ambition right there. I was wondering, how far along is this? like designs being on paper, in the modeling stage, that sort of stuff.

4. Afigitus the Wanderer

Afigitus the Wanderer Member

I'm still drawing out the designs on paper.

5. octobotimus

octobotimus Decepticon Intelligence

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah gotcha, well I can't wait to see em. I'll be keeping an eye on this one :D