Heavy/Scratch: My Titans Return PMOP upgrades

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by knoted, Dec 20, 2016.

1. MROptimusPrime

MROptimusPrime LEGAL NAME: OPTIMUS PRIME

News Credits:
    Hello, could you possibly do some new kind of foot that does not stick out of the back of the truck mode?

2. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    In theory it is possible.

However, that would require to replace the original feet altogether, which means pin removal on that gray hinge. Especially on a part which relues on friction so much like this one, this is a tricky mod to do. Too tricky for most people - and one of my own personal rules is to create Shapeways add-ons which do not require such advanced modding tricks.

I think this is also the reason why we haven't seen foot replacements for this TR Prime yet, from 3rd party companies like X2toys.

3. MROptimusPrime

MROptimusPrime LEGAL NAME: OPTIMUS PRIME

News Credits:
    Copy that!

4. TF Hunter D

TF Hunter D Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ordered the arm fillers. I've never ordered from shapeways before. Let's see how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. knoted

News Credits:
    Thank you for your purchase.

In the red strong flexible polished material, the fit should be good right out of the box.
    The arm fillers have these little protruding tabs, which tab into the hollow sections of the arm, by friction.
    If you want even more friction, you can wrap either of those inner tabs with a bit of sticky tape.

• Like Like x 1
  6. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

How much taller do the feet replacements make him?

7. knoted

News Credits:
    A ginormous 1.5mm :bay 

In other words : very little. In fact, in truckmode, the clearance between the feet of Prime himself and any desk surface is around 3.5mm...so I had only a tiny margin to begin with ; hence the bottom plate of my add on feet is only 1.5mm ; this way, the truck can still roll without the add on feet scraping the floor....although it's really close.

Anyway, I ordered a revised version of my feet design from Shapeways today. Estimated shipping date is stated as March 1st. I'm hoping my adjustments will make it perfect.

8. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

That's workable for sure, will have to check these out. I have no attachment at all to God Bomber so I could care less if it worked with him. These feet upgrades actually look a lot better than the Takara ones and helps him stand out more from Magnus. I would have ordered your arm filler but I already filled mine with resin (went very sloppy at that).

• Like Like x 1
  9. knoted

News Credits:
    Alrighty, small but very significant update 28 february 2017 : the new (rightfoot) loafer is in, and it fits perfectly.

I basically lowered the inner ceiling - which sits on PMOP's slanted foot - and then I eviscerated the entire section above it to keep cost down as much as I can.
    Sidewalls were slightly adjusted as well to eliminate any lateral wiggling.
    The fit is very very snug. It takes a bit of doing to get the tabs under the foot to grab the inner structure walls, but once you got that done it's secure.

Also, I made a variant with dual toe nubs, so I will be offering this aside the pure G1 style version as well. For both versions I extruded the faux-wheels detail a bit more
    compared to the test print ( as seen in the photographs below ) and both toe sections feature a minute strip to visually underline the width of the feet.

I think this will be nice for people who still want their Hasbro PMOP's to have feet with a sort of ankle tilt and to distinguish him more from CW Magnus's feet -
    and perhaps also for people who still dislike the Super Ginrai mold feet.
    I will try to get both of my versions online for sale at Shapeways today/tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  10. knoted

News Credits:
  11. maxxzander

maxxzander Banned

those protruding feet does look weird in truck mode doesnt it~

12. knoted

News Credits:
    Like I already said in the earlier post : the CW Magnus feet are already sticking out on the stock toy as it is : nothing I can change about that.

So yeah, I am aware my feet add-on's add more volume to the existing feet.
    But if you read my post, as I said in there : I gave the add on's tech detailing to evoke the look of a tow winch mechanism.
    Ergo ; at least, I gave the sticking out parts a visual explamation to be there.

If you want feet which do not stick out from the trailer at all, you have the freedom to make it happen yourself.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Slaglock

Slaglock Well-Known Member

Hi there i have a question about the feet set i was gona pm you instead but i couldnt figure out how i remember it being easy but idk ( any tips there?). is set A and B two different feet sets or is it right and left?

14. knoted

News Credits:
    A and B are basically the same set, but B has 2 little nubs at the front of the toe. Those are just a subtle cosmetic difference to distinguish set B from the G1 slavish styled set A.
    When I was modeling I couldn't decide between styles and I didn't want to force either specific style to people, hence I offer both style options by means of set A and B.

Of course, both sets are indeed sets : you get both the right and the left foot in each set.
    As I am typing this, I am waiting for both sets myself, which I ordered in White Strong Flexible Polished material ; since I will be dying them with Rit DyeMore.

15. Slaglock

oh ok thanks for the swift reply

16. knoted

News Credits:
    Shapeways' sprue policy is crap. The 2mm sprue diameter is a bit absurd imo. The test print of my TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set A, printed with 100% success rate, even though
    it featured 1mm sprues. When I tried to order the final version of this model, it got rejected for not having 2mm sprues.

Fortunately, I found a way to make the other cost-cutting method work : Loop sprues.
    The individual model parts are linked by these loop sprues, which save up on Shapeways labor costs, resulting to a lower price.
    The customer will have to carefully cut the loops, although no sanding is required because they're not actually fused to the model parts.

Link to TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set A Budget Version : TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set A Budget Version by knoted on Shapeways

Link to TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set B Budget Version : TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set B Budget Version by knoted on Shapeways

The standard Set A version is still there too of course and it doesn't require any loop cutting : TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set A by knoted on Shapeways

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. knoted

News Credits:
    Alright, the final TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Sets A and B are done !

The dyes turned out a little darker than I had intended for, but that's due to my own dye inexperience - not Shapeways' fault.

The dyes themselves are actually quite good. I used Rit DyeMore:
    - Sapphire Blue ( rich blue )
    - Kentucky Sky ( teal )
    - Graphite ( black )

Both Sapphire Blue and Graphite are very overpowering dyes, so for TR PMOP's plastic I would suggest a full bottle (207 ML) of Kentucky Sky and a a tiny bit of Sapphire Blue per set (10 - 20 ML ) .

Each of the sets consist of both the right foot and the left foot. Set B only differs from Set A in a subtle style change ; 2 tiny nubs on the toe.

Each foot consists of 2 parts : Toe = front part (the rotating part which provides ankle tilt), Loafer = rear part which attaches to Prime's foot.
    Installation should start with the Loafer. The rear end of the Loafer is a T-shaped extension with a set of finger tabs on each side.
    The underside of Prime's feet feature a support wall on each side : a short wall and a wider wall. The finger tabs on the Loafer are designed to grab around those walls. Slide the Loafer onto the foot. Then carefully pull out the T-shaped extension bar to get the finger tabs to allign with the support walls and grab around them.
    This should provide a very tight fit. In fact, you can shake Prime around and there will be zero wiggle for these feet upgrade sets.
    Once both Loafers are installed, plug the Toe section into them.

Both sets do not inhibit transformation at all.
    However, there will be some extra mass in truckmode, but the original feet were already sticking out, so there's no surprise there. Both sets feature tech detail, which mimics a sort of tow winch mechanism, so at least the extra bits have a visual explanation to be there.
    In truck mode, there should still be 1-2mm of clearance to a table surface, so the truck can still roll around without literally dragging its feet.

I have made these sets as sturdy and cheap as possible. However, since each set consists of 4 parts, Shapeways charges labor costs for sorting them.
    Hence, I have also made both set A and B available with loop sprues, which link 2 parts. This way, each set technically consists of '2 parts' and thus the price is lower by 2.72 USD. So if you want the cheaper versions, you can, but you will have to cut the linking loops. Don't worry, the loops aren't fused to the model parts themselves, so you won't have to do any sanding.
    For both sets, I have also set up print orientation, in order to minimize visible print lines.

Links to the items:

TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set A : TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set A by knoted on Shapeways
    TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set A Budget Version : TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set A Budget Version by knoted on Shapeways

TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set B : TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set B by knoted on Shapeways
    TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set B Budget Version : TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set B Budget Version by knoted on Shapeways

The pic here illustrates the loop sprues in red :

[​IMG]

Now, onto the actual photo's of Sets A and B
    Here's TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set A

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's TR PMOP Feet Upgrade Set B

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  18. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    Looks great.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Slaglock

Can't wait to get mine in so i can do the same. on another note, does anyone know if the proline rit dye works on all transformers plastics or is it just like the other stuff where it only works on some stuff? i wish to make a nemesis powermaster..

• Like Like x 1
  20. knoted

News Credits:
    I have no experience with their Pro line - but supposedly the kind of plastics used for the joints ..like the sort of polyurthane, are a little bit more difficult to dye. Not sure though....
    But in my limited experience with the Rit DyeMore, some of the colors are really potent.