My Thoughts on the Headmasters Cartoon

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by hippymule, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I agree, rebirth rocked the house. The only reason I am a head and target master fan is because of rebirth.

2. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I liked the concept of the Headmasters as actual robots as the heads vs. the Nebulan heads from Rebirth.

3. entITy

entITy G 1

Yeah humans in robots that make heads of robots that make heads is like cyborgs, like gobots...lol...gobots.

"Announcement, We accepted gobots in the TF universe fellow comic con fans" - 8:00pm
    "Sadly, the gobots entire universe was destroyed epically by Unicron" - 8:01pm

LOL

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Like the Movie-verse?

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    They are both good enough concepts on their own.

But one of the concepts was developed by the guy who developed all the Transformers characters and mythology.

And the other concept was thought up by a bunch of random dudes.

Both ideas work... and it's not like I'm the hugest Budiansky TF comic fan in the world... but he does add that extra layer of authenticity to one side when comparing the two.

6. Sky-Byte

Sky-Byte Armada Fan

As I mentioned in the other thread, I had such a hard time making my way through this to get to Masterforce. So boring and annoying (sup Daniel).

The highlight for me was Soundblaster saying "Twincast! Bite this!" For some reason that really struck me as a funny thing for Soundwave to say, especially in the JP version of his voice.

7. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Headmasters felt phoned-in. I imagine that it was caused by Japan having to take over G1 without proper guidance. In the end, the only battle that felt like it mattered was Soundwave vs Blaster, and that was good, but short. Ultra Magnus' death was total lackluster. Sixshot just shot him a lot, and no damage appeared on him. And he ever turned greyscale.

The new Autobots were all the same - generic good guys who try hard, have honor and believe in teamwork - boring. At least the Decepticons had some variety, but they ended up feeling inefectual and bumbling.

It's a real shame too. With better directing, more breakout characterization, and better pacing, this could have been really great. Next to Super Link, this is my top series that I'd love to see redone.

It's a shame too, I really like a number of the toys and concepts from the series.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    This is very true. For knowing it was coming (and even being announced in the episode title), the actual "duel" followed by Magnus' death was ridiculously underwhelming and lacking in any kind of drama, excitement or tension. And it was even further undercut by the ill-fitting BGM.

9. Thundercrackers

Thundercrackers Cybertonian Scholar

As far as I'm concerned, Rebirth is the true end of the G1 timeline until beast wars. Headmasters and all that followed were a weird alternate timeline, with silly names like Sky Garry and lots of burning justice and the power of Friendship!

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I agree 100%

But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a nice, weird alternate timeline in addition to what I consider to be the "real" G1 timeline of The Rebirth.

11. Thundercrackers

Thundercrackers Cybertonian Scholar

Oh, I enjoy it too! The Japanese series have awesome designs, and the stories are the best TF comedy I've ever watched!

12. entITy

entITy G 1

Is Galvatron as nuts and so insane its funny as season 3 or 4 g1 seasons lol ?

The way Galva died in ice from TF holding hands with a rainbow blast was lol...

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, that was a real wtf moment. Especially since earlier in the series, Galvatron was AT GROUND FREAKING ZERO when Cybertron blew up, yet he later turned up perfectly fine with no damage at all. But then he gets dunked in some ice water and he's all, "Somebody help me! AAAAHHHHHH"

And I don't mean ground zero like he was on Cybertron. He was IN Cybertron, right at the core of the planet where the bombs were and we saw the countdown hit zero and we saw them blow up right in his face. The entire planet got blown to smithereens and space junk by these bombs. They were that powerful. The idea he could have survived at all, even in pieces, would have been hard to swallow, but they didn't even try to explain it... what happened to him, where he went, nothing. He just shows back up several episodes later, "S'appining, guys?"

But yeah, look out for ice, I guess.

14. entITy

entITy G 1

Great post ^ ...HM seems cool but is later series Masterforce "organic" TF ? The clips I seen had many voltron enemy like looking creatures, are those supposed to be the TF ?

15. Maroyasha

Maroyasha IOU A Title

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    i like this series, but when it came out on dvd here in north america (the U.S.) they didn't have all the epsiodes. there were actually 38. not how ever many they put on the dvd. i do find it cooler that the headmasters are from the planet master and built their own bodies. all though i did find the series repetitive. beat the decpticons, but someones dies. decps come back and lose but no one dies. and reapeat. I do like how Scorponok is so mysterious and there is always that eerie fog. also I like, even though it doesn't make sense, that they ahd Prowl as one of the characters in it. that's my opinion

16. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

Is the Shout Factory set worth the 16 bones @ Amazon?

17. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

I think so, nice alternate take on things you're used to. Just be warned that
    Prime dies in episode 3, Cybertron blows up in episode 9.

18. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

Darn that soundwave, yawn!!!!!!!!!!

19. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i saw headmasters 's back story - how they came headmasters