My thoughts on the franchise today.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ezim93, Aug 23, 2011.

1. ezim93

ezim93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been in deep thought about the franchise recently. I've recently started reading ongoing, I am currently deciding whether or not to watch the recent TF Prime episodes on the web or support the official release, and I'm desperately trying to repress the live action movies. I guess I'm a little less than satisfied with the series right now. Don't get me wrong I love this franchise and it's vivid history it's just that I've been doing some thinking as of recently. In my mind I kind of view the Transformers series as a pretty cool story about two feuding races of robots and the struggles of each. I mainly blame the movies but I will justify myself. I understand that Transformers was basically created to advertise a line of toys to children, I have no problem with that. It's just that well I think the movies has kind of been a misstep. Does it make the characters look cool? Well it certainly makes Bumblebee and Optimus look cool but what about the second stringers such as Wheeljack (I refuse to call him Que), or the wreckers. These are the heroes that every is supposed to look up to for wisdom and are good role models for society. And if you didn't like one character (for example I don't like Tracks) you can always look to another character for guidance. I understand that there has to be human characters but to be honest do you really think Sam Witwicky is a good role model.

Sure he saved the world but in the third movie he really pissed me off. Just because you saved the world does not entitle you to a good life and job. And the way that he flaunts around his medal that he received from the president also ticks me off. Receiving a medal of honor from the president is a huge honor and he treats it like it's no big deal, even though he didn't really do much. Did he kill the fallen? No. I understand he killed Megatron and I would be perfectly understand if he received the medal for that but still I would feel more comfortable if at the end if Lennox and the rest of NEST received medals. Another scene I don't like is when he goes to NEST for help. Now I don't understand why they don't let him in and was surprised when the guards didn't recognize him. At the very least they should have let him in. But still I think Sam has to realize that he isn't qualified at all to be going on these dangerous missions. I mean he literally died in the second movie. Do you really think that having a gun is going to change that. I know that Bumblebee was his friend but sometimes you have to let friends go. I used to have a friend through most of elementary school but he moved away at the beginning of 5th grade. I've never heard from him since. My point being is that they could've made a real touching scene with him and Bumblebee explaining that this is beyond him and that he has to move on and he can't spend his entire life obsessed with the transformers. That isn't to say he couldn't reappear in the third act captured by Dylan and have Bumblebee rescue him but still.

The other thing that has kind of alienated me is Optimus Prime. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with Optimus killing decepticons, it's just that he seems too brutal on them. Ripping off faces and ripping out sparks doesn't seem right. Wouldn't it have made more sense to take demolishor prisoner rather than killing him (granted taking a decepticon as a prisoner didn't really end well in the comics but still). I understand that the fallen was pretty dangerous and that he had to be killed but seriously, ripping off his face and removing his spark. The Fallen was one of the thirteen primes and probably deserved something more dignified than just being one offed. And that leads me to movie three. When Optimus said "we will kill them all" I was a little shocked but it was understandable considering all the mass carnage that was going on. I would've perfered something more like "The Decepticons/Sentinel must be stopped, no matter the cost". It would've worked better keeping Optimus as a noble character while still implying that they were going to kill the decepticons. Now we talk about the death of megatron and sentinel. let's start off with megatron. Just as Megatron comes in to assist Optimus Prime to kill Sentinel he talks about finally making peace, and than Optimus promptly rips his head off. I know Megatron is a dangerous war criminal and that optimus has killed him in many other franchises but still this one was just insulting. How about after Optimus defeats Sentinel he says "I'm sorry megatron but peace is no longer an options" or Megatron back-stabs him and reveals it was all a ruse to kill Optimus when he was vulnerable and fights him in a fairly epic scene that's longer than two seconds. Finally there is Sentinel. Again he needed to die but did Optimus really need to execute him. Why not make peace with him before dying from wounds sustained from battle, or reabsorbing his spark in the matrix, or optimus sparing him only for Sentinel to spit in his face and off himself. Point being, the violent path may look cool but in the end is it worth it?

I realize now I could have possibly just made a simple thread just saying that I disliked these aspects of the film among others such as the toilet humor and lack of screen time for the robots (which I did dislike and did mention in the case of the former) but in the end what would that accomplish. I probably would've been yelled at if I made a thread like that so I decided just to explain why I disliked certain aspects while offering some constructive criticism. Sorry if I rushed towards the end but I was writing this close to when I went to asleep. I hope you enjoyed reading it and feel free to leave a comment.

2. Starscreamer69

Starscreamer69 Well-Known Member

Could you please edit your post into paragraphs so it's easier to read?

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    TLDR; the movie franchise is flawed.

4. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

The wisdom of the ages could be in that block of text, but I ain't reading it.

Paragraph breaks, man. Paragraph breaks.

5. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

All i got from it is that he hates the movies and anythimg movie related like tf: prime, or hes a geewuner, idk me is too lazy too read the whole thing :p 

6. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Something tells me that after he breaks the post into paragraphs, I'll have to go on yet another legnthy response like the Nerd Rant thread.

7. Starparu

Starparu Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This really addresses some major issues, but some paragraph breaks would be appreciated :) 

8. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Translated: Rage rage rage rage rage rage paragraph rage.

Not reading it either, btw.

9. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I would agree with you, except... I can't read all that.

Actually, I can.

I just won't.

10. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    Ya, cool story bro.

11. modzprime29

modzprime29 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Another nerd rant (sigh), was this necessary to make a thread about because I just wasted my time reading a rant that was basically saying that the moviE ruined the whole franchise and was a Mistep for Hasbro then he goes complaint about how optimus was brutal and how SAMs thinks that since he has a medal he acts like it's nothing and happens all the time blah blah blah, another nerd rant

This dosent need a damn thread!!

12. badbot98

badbot98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this ^^

13. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Bayverse, or else.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Bayformers: 5 years ago loved it, Now in the Present Day: Just go away.