My theory about why the transformers movies are so bad

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by griffn29, Jul 17, 2014.

1. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

I'm just venting here.

Don't get me wrong, the first one was good (or pretty good anyways)
    But honestly, it doesn't make sense that people are bashing bay when it seems to me that his entheuseasim is what's keeping the series alive (that and the work of the people at ilm)

But honestly, the reason I think the transformers movies from 2 onward fail to be good (or even passable) is because of Hasbros insistence on Ehren Kruger being the one and only writer for the whole movies

Don't get me wrong, Ehren Kruger is a great writer (seriously), but the epic scope of what Hasbro demands and what bay delivers is just too grand to be transcribed all by one person

The first movie was great. It was written by Alexander orci and that other guy, but when rotf was being made during the writers strike and they pulled in Kruger, well it was bound to be a flop. But it still made money because its a transformers film, and because it made so much more frivolous paper then the first one, it was probably to the insistence of Hasbro to keep that guy on board, like he was the magic number or something.

Honestly, I think aoe could have been a better movie, but probably not one that was nearly successful. I mean, you can criticize anyone who payed money for it to be an idiot, but at this point it just feels like its productive indifference. I mean, like, it made the most money at the box office this year, but nobody's talking about it. It's like people are just sitting down to watch it because its a transformers film, not even enjoying it even. It's just like an obligation.

Me and my sister both payed eight dollars to see the film in three d at our local theatre, and neither of us really enjoyed it but we saw it, I mean, the main motivator for me was just so that I could read posts on this board without being spoiled.

Honestly, I doesnt feel like the transformers movies are even films anymore, it's just like something you do now.

2. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My issue is that it feels at times like your jerky teenage brother has been forced to babysit you.

Michael Bay still never really seems to really like Transformers. The way he acts, it's like an older brother got ahold of your Transformers toys, and went:

"You actually like these!? You know what would be cool? If we had sports cars, big explosions, and... hey what if one was sold by a big-loudmouthed guy who had an annoying Mom?

And what if the Army got attacked by this guy, and he just skewered the nerdy guy with glasses and boom boom boom!!!

A robot that becomes a bigger robot? Lame! He should have all sorts of colors and be an animal, and if he's an animal- LOL! Of this idea of what he has is sooo funny!!"

3. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Michael Bay said he "wanted" to give the robots characterisation this time around. So you could say he does care at an extent.

Transformers films aren't as bad as people say they are. A person has an opinion and that will not budge until their grudge has been fixed.

AOE fixed a ton of things that were upsetting people in the previous three. AOE was not perfect, and Kruger is some-what of an ignorant writer, "it doesn't have to make sense" or something like that is what he said -_-* Despite this, Kruger is not the shittest writer out there and we should be thankful for what he has given us, funny robot dialogue and personalities. I know there's always someone to complain about the 'haters' but it just sickens me when there are topics like, I quote, "I honestly wish I could get my money back after seeing AOE" C'mon! How vulgar, It almost makes you think if people are hating for the sake of hating.

In response to the OP, I agree, Kruger did have a lot put on him now that you mention it. A 3 hour movie written by one man? There should have atleast been someone to co-work it, preferably a TF fan who can make it flow extremely well with the previous three.

The movies get too much unneeded stick just because it says Michael Bay on them.

4. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

One singular vision tends to be better than a million contradicting ones. The Avengers stomps all these movies, and it was written and directed by one guy.

And LOL at "epic scope" and "grand". I guess that's one way to say "Indulgent".

5. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

Here we go again. Let me just grab a beer before you all start.

6. Buk Lau

Buk Lau Ignorance is Bliss

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

7. griffn29

Yeah that's true :) 

8. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Blame Bay

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Honestly I blame everyone yes even you and myself.

10. griffn29

Yeah, that's true. And looking at the credits for this movie, the thing had four producers so the one writer is probably not why the writings up to snuff.

But honestly, and this is the main point that I was rallying around, I think these movies might have suffered a bit by only having one person write them, I guess. I mean, depicting ancient robot babblings, hip teen diologue, semi-authentic military operations, eccentric buerocrats, emotional impact and even comedy relief in just one movie feels like a tall order, even for a versatile writer, and the fact that he can even do all of these things at once to a point that's even partially acceptable is pretty crazy (even though there was a four year lead time, but yeah). Basically, all I think I was trying to say was that, with a small team on an ambitious project, it's hard to make even little changes without having the whole undertaking spiral out of control.

11. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

I blame myself.

I cry myself to sleep every night because I know these movies are all my fault.

12. Megatron276

Megatron276 destroyer

Oh boy...

13. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The first movie wasn't written by Orci and the "other guy". The script treatment was originally written by someone else (forgot his name). Those two just came in and essentially filled and did edits.

14. JayEm

JayEm オートボットさん

This ^

I like trying to see if people contradict their views. Its funny when they slip up ;) 

15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Shitty thing about the TF fandom is it's poorly unified, so pretty much everyone has their own idea of what the movies should be like. Complicated motherfu**ers.

16. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

/every fandom with different variations of their franchise ever.

Though we're not nearly as bad as the MOTU fandom. That fandom is on the throws of death, and they can't even unite over a few small and measly interpretations of the franchise.

17. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me the reason why the TF movies are "so bad" (a very subjective term, naturally) is less in that just one man wrote the script, but rather that the makers don't really seem on the same page as to what they want to achieve with these movies.

- Great epic about alien robots and their mythological past?
    - Harmless action trash with boobs and booms?
    - Reboot or sequel?

To me AoE would have been perfect as a 90 minute action movie about giant robots and dinosaurs kicking the s*** out of each other. The thing is, it tried (and failed) to be a lot more than that.

18. Megatron276

Megatron276 destroyer

This

19. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My only experience with Kruger is the Transformers movies so as far as I can tell he is a terrible writer. What has he done that was good?
    I actually blame him a bit more that Bay. Though I still feel like Bay doesn't give a haypenny jizz about Transformers other than it's ability to make him money. It never comes through on screen that he truly believes these characters or takes them seriously.

20. Decepticons

Decepticons B∆K. Bug-a-Boo Ghost.

News Credits:
    The Ring and, in my personal opinion, Scream 3.