My Slowly Growing G1 AFA Collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Collection Showcase' started by Usmcloady, Jun 5, 2009.

1. CG76

CG76 Headmaster

Great collection!!

2. Usmcloady

Usmcloady Well-Known Member

Here are the newest additions: AFA 80 Cliffjumper and CSG 8.2 Cyclonus Poster Box Version (I normally do not collect CSG, but the Poster Boxes are hard to find sealed. I may cross it to AFA)

Attached Files:

3. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    How do you handle that? Do you remove him from the box yourself then send him off to AFA, or do you just send him as is and let them remove him from the case?

4. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I see two sides of AFA collections. First, you know your getting a 100% Mint in box item with everything complete and brand new.
    Flip side, I could NEVER keep them inside the box my self. When it comes to Transformers, they display better outside the box and generally in robot mode. If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably want three of each character. One to keep sealed in the box, one in robot mode, and one in alternate mode.
    I really want to find my self an AFA G1 Jetfire at a reasonable price. A lot of these sealed boxes I see seem to be near the $1000 doll mark which is way more than I'll ever be able to pay for such an item.
    Nice collection you have there my friend! Keep up the good work!

5. Usmcloady

Thanks for the kind words. I like the look of TFs sealed in their boxes. If I wanted to I could open them, but I would be throwing ALOT of $$ away if I did that. I buy these unopened because I have fond memories of going to the store as a kid in the 80s and walking down the isles looking at all the TFs. I didn't have too much money growing up, and I only remember having 4 or 5 TFs as a kid. I wanted alot more though. Now I can :) 

If I get Cyclonus crossgraded by AFA I would send him in his CSG case to AFA. They would remove him from the CSG case and reassign "Their" grade to him. Based on my past experience with having TFs graded by AFA, I think this CSG 8.2 Cyclonus would recieve an AFA 80 grade, which seems about equal to the CSG grade. AFA figures just seem to demand a higher price than a CSG figure of a similar grade.

6. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    That is understandable, no reason to rip open a mint one when there are plenty loose samples out there. I tend to agree about AFA, they are the big name and therefore carry more influence among collectors. Plus having them all graded by the same company gives the collection a more homogeneous feel rather than carrying different standards. Amazing collection, keep it up!

7. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

I back that statement 100%. Yet the six-changers (there's 4 i think, right?) would amount to 42 seperate purchases in said case. In regards to this AFA collection, it definitely provides us with great eye-candy. I myself aren't one to keep figures sealed - I only retain their MISB status if I already have the same mold open and on the shelf.

If I were to collect AFA I'd be in debt; my latest purchase was a loose/mint Liokaiser I got from someone here on the boards. I think I got it for a deal at $750 (Leozak has hardly any cockpit wear with the orange paint- its like a pinhead-sized blemish). I'm guessing that an AFA-80 Liokaiser giftset would probably run close to $4-$5k if not more.

Congratulations to you sir; this is one fine investment, and they display quite well. Do you collect any loose figures by chance?

~Z

8. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    This! :D 

9. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Absolutely BEAUTIFUL collection!! I wish it was mine!!

:thumbs2:  :thumbs2:  :thumbs2:  :thumbs2: 

10. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that is one amazing Collection. I like that you even have some Joes in there.

11. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Set Them Free! Set Them Free!
    JK, i'm jealous.
    Nintendo Airwolf FTW!

12. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Absolutely beautiful.

13. MetroplexDK

MetroplexDK Banned

HOLY MOTHER F:::::: GOD
    what a collection dam thats nice :p 

14. Usmcloady

Just recieved a MISB AFA 85 Octane today that I have been looking for, for a long time. According to the AFA population report, he is the highest graded, with only 2 total graded by AFA. Very happy with this guy if you cannot tell :) 

Attached Files:

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Your collection is ridiculous. I must have looked through these pictures a hundred times.

16. Usmcloady

Thanks for the encouragement on my collection everyone. I enjoy my collection, but I enjoy looking at other AFA collections just as much. There are some extrmemely nice AFA collections on the board here. Each collection is different and unique in its own way. Some people collect doubles, some collect variations, or no variations. Also what keeps me constantly searching for a MISB/AFA TF I don't have is the thrill of the hunt. Its a good feeling when I find and item that has eluded me for sometime. Unfortunately, those items often have a steep price along with them. But a complete sealed G1 collection will keep me busy for years to come. So I'll keep searching and posting my finds on here as I receive them.

17. patobot

patobot ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝ Scanning ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝

That's some really cool additions! Two poster variants in one week, hunting is good :) 

18. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thats a nice collection but for me IMHO I just don't see any reason for AFA but I say to each his own. You DO have a really nice collection though.

19. avenged9

avenged9 DecepticonAvenger

Ebay:
    Hey!

Nice collection. Love the racks, I'm using the same ones. lol

20. world80

world80 Milton Bradley

Wow!!!! What a cool collection. Don't listen to the AFA-haters. If your collection makes *you* happy, that's the only thing that matters!

I don't have a lot of MISB/MOSC items myself, but I'm pondering about sending in my Milton Bradley Roadbuster and Laserbeak. Please do keep us posted of any new additions to your collection!