My real issue with Takara's POTP line

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LoranBasaraEvin, Jan 21, 2018.

1. LoranBasaraEvin

LoranBasaraEvin Gunpla Grump

So, the fact that Takara's release of POTP is going to be the same as ours has been a hot-button topic, from the potential lack of exclusive characters (like Hydra and Buster) to the inability to get figures with more premium paint applications. While that is a disappointment, I feel like the ultimate issue here is one that started back in 2007, with the release of the live-action films:

It's the final nail in the coffin for the "identity" of Japanese Transformers.

Ever since then we've been seeing more and more dubs, imports, etc of Transformers to Japan using names like "Optimus Prime", "Autobot", etc. Gone now are the days of Convoy and Cybertrons. Sure, those of us in the rest would rarely use these names, but knowing that the recolored figure of Rattrap or Armada Hot Shot you bought had a different name and identity over there kinda just. Made them feel more special. And I have to wonder if fans in Japan have been feeling the same way. I can definitely understand where Hasbro and Takara are going with this, but it feels like something that made the brand what it was is getting lost. That said, I think Legends and Unite Warriors did it best, by having the Japanese name in katakana, with the English names in English (something I wish they would do with the goddamn Masterpiece figures, come on, guys).

Or heck, maybe I'm just overthinking this. Which is... very possible.

• Like Like x 2
  2. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No the first time Hasbro and Takara lines are the same.

Not a big deal for me.

3. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    My grief for TakaraTomy's recent passing cannot be understated... :( 

Yeah, you raise a good point, the names and branding are definitely something else that's died.

I think that both TT and Hasbro will HOPEFULLY come back at some point in the next couple years after this "experiment"
    and realize what we fans already know, that Transformers is and always has been a brand on two fronts, and it doesn't make
    much sense at all to overturn that system... whatever they're making in short-term cost cutting financial gains, they'll lose in long-term brand value.

• Like Like x 2
  4. King Glurch

King Glurch I’m gonna miss you when I’m gone

YouTube (Legacy):
    And hopefully they will create the exclusive characters as well, like Buster and Hydra, and Deszaras (please I need a new Deszaras...).

• Like Like x 1
  5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    In a way I am sad at the passing of two "same but different" franchises, but in a way I'm okay with having less temptation to chase down imports that I really don't NEED.

That, and anything that gives the pretentious weaboos less ammo to beat you over the head with is a good thing in my book.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With Hasbro's thing for stickers on their Voyagers and Leaders, I was counting on Takara to fix that. Also, I was hoping for a certain amount of remolding (the chest, specifically) to make Leader Rodimus look a bit more G1 accurate. (I'd really like to recreate that Rodimus debut scene from the movie).

I wish I knew what the big plan was. Is this really the best we can hope to get from Takara from now on?

• Like Like x 2
  7. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope it’s a sign that Hasbro will make a few more concessions per line to Takara sensibilities.

It would have been a tragedy not to get Legends Blurr. Many of the other re-deco choices were somewhat pointless. Pretty. Slightly more toon accurate. But pointless in that they were marginal in terms of overall figure toon accuracy and probably would have been better served, say, with the Headmasters, to have just compromised halfway inbetween. I love my Legends Kup but I’d have bought Hasbro’s in that color scheme. A toy homage with Kup seems rather pointless except to a breed of obsessives since Kup was designed as a movie character before he was a toy and has had the same basic color scheme everywhere.

Stickers are... ugh. Stickers. Even some of the diehards like Walky are removing them and repainting figures. That’s a separate issue though, for me.

With Hasbro getting invested in characters like Overlord and, likely, Star Saber, I think they can get away with a line that compromises between Takara and Hasbro sensibilities, largely to a Hasbro budget and pricepoint.

Some figures REALLY benefit from some extra love. And would be worth having fewer figures in a line, more “plain” redecos, or DX deco options in the Tribute line to get us some of those mini masterpieces like Legends Blurr. If Hasbro can make the occasional Legends Blurr and Kup deco available then I’m fine with merged offerings overall since Perceptor and Twinferno and a good chunk of the line were lateral moves. I think on something like Hardhead or Slugslinger, Takara’s attention to detail was excessive (especially if Hasbro just hybridized toy and toon headsculpts to start with) but Hasbro went with less visually appealing plastic colors in pursuit of toy accuracy. A compromise on the average offering would be great.

But each line needs some figures with “no compromise” offerings, even if it’s a premium store or online exclusive.

• Like Like x 1
  8. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    The day I let anything Walky does impact my collection is the day I give the whole nightmare away and never look back.

So basically you are wanting it to be like the line for the 1st Movie? Buy everything and then have it come out a year or so later with premium paint apps? Can't say that I'd go for that shit. Especially not knowing what paint scheme will be better in the premium line. It just isn't worth it, and I don't like to rebuy my stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not everything. I’m saying that if they adopt more of Takara’s choices just on plastic colors and compromise on designs and character choices while sticking to the Hasbro budget, I’d be willing to buy the absolute cream of the crop as DXes.

Twinferno/Doublecross didn’t need two decos. I’m slightly happier with my Takara one (that I got for Haywire).

Blurr would have been worth making a retail exclusive of to get right. Imagine Brainstorm from Walgreens hit mass retail with a compromise Takara/Hasbro head and no tampos. And Legends Blurr had been the Walgreens exclusive to justify the premium deco.

I know folks swear by the Hasbro Blurr but that had to be the laziest thing I’ve ever seen and the biggest shelfwarmer of the early line. Would have been better to mass release a dumbed down Brainstorm and save Blurr for a format where the deco could be handled right.

10. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually is not a big deal.

Current cheap hollow plastic syndrome doesn't justify to pay extra money for Takara versions. We have several examples, like LG-EX God Ginrai. Takara is asking a lot of money for GG but the plastic is cheap, figure looks pretty good in pics but in hand is another story. LG-EX God Ginrai, as a figure, doesn't deserve that price tag, and we can find better figures with that money.

If Takara improves the plastic quality, things can change but that is not going to happen.