Heavy/Scratch: My "perfect" Deadend WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by gericault, Sep 27, 2016.

1. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

20170305_132933.jpg Thought I'd show a few WIP picks of this guy.
    So, Deadend is one of my top three TF characters from when I was a kid. Don't know why, but so it is. I've done several customs of him, but none that fit my definition of "perfect" (ie, same scale as G1 toy, similar transformation, various visual cues that I associate with the toy...).

I originally started this project years ago, using an RTS Windcharger. Spent a bit of time on it, but then got stuck figuring out how I could make his legs transform more like the G1 toy, so I put it aside.
    Years later, I started again, only using a CW Blackjack. In fact, I pretty much finished all the extensive mods, only to find that he just didn't really look right to me. I love the mold, but the arms just look a bit wonky, the legs are a bit stubby...

So I put that one aside and picked up my first attempt that had been sitting at the bottom of a box, and took another stab at him...
    So here's RTS Windcharger, the G1 toy, and a cartoon pic of the guy.

images.jpg r_deadend042.jpg 8dacd2e7a44d4a26dab4963e32d487cd.jpg

So what'll make him "perfect" for my taste?
    -More blocky look.
    -Flat chest section with the silver and black segments to it.
    -Car hood on his back.
    -Legs turned the other way so you don't see the back of the car.
    I know he's a good bit bigger than the G1 toy, but I can't win them all! Until I find another idea, that is...!

So the work so far...
    Here's his new chest made form a few gundam bits; the hood of the car will fold back behind him instead of in front, and I'm giving him a waste swivel.
    20160824_173311.jpg

The arms are staying pretty much the same, but I'm getting rid of the arm cannons that folded into his forearms and adding some panels on the resulting empty sides of the forearms and on the front of his shoulders to make him a bit blockier. I'll probably add some details on the new sections later on...

20160830_145404.jpg

LMK what you guys think, and thanks for looking!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Always love your WiPs. Looking forward to the final product.

3. gericault

Thanks man! Much appreciated!

4. gericault

And an update!
    So first of all, here's the finished arm (before painting, or until I find something else to do to it!) :) 
    I've added square panels to the shoulders to complete the blocky look, and some gundam bits to the side of the forearm as details.
    20161004_162200.jpg

And the torso with a few extra bits as well as a ball-jointed waist/crotch.
    20161006_101349.jpg

Soon I should have the new hood transformation done, though the legs are being a pain...

5. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Interesting start. I look forward to more updates.

6. gericault

Update..the damn legs.
    20160830_145540.jpg 20160830_145603.jpg 20160830_145647.jpg
    So I basically hollowed out the legs as much as possible and replaced them with a Classics Starscreams legs. Took a lot of sanding, fixing, strengthening bits that got too thin, making new tracks for the thigh to slide along...Argh. Wish I'd been able to find thinner legs that would slide down like SS's, but this had to do.
    The back panels of the car, which used to become Windcharger's knees are now Deadend's feet. It all kind of works, though the legs are a bit shorter than I would have liked; makes him a bit stubbier than I'd have liked...:( 

7. gericault

And his hood; it used to fold forward over his head, but now folds back in two sections. Not exactly a sleek backpack, but it looks pretty good.
    20161004_162339.jpg 20161004_162400.jpg

So given the scale of him, basically a large legends size, any ideas for what to use for his head?

• Like Like x 1
  8. blastpak

blastpak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What about modding windcharger's head? He has the same facial structure as the Deadend animation model.

9. gericault

Hmm..that could work with some sanding off the sides...will have a look! Thanks!
    Right now I'm reworking the legs to try and give him some added height; I've been fiddling with them every day this week, and still haven't figured out what to do that doesn't require more or less starting from scratch. Thankfully the rest of him is more or less done though!

10. gericault

Update...
    OK, spent way too much time on trying to make the legs look better. Not sure on the results, but here they are: feedback/ideas welcome!!
    So I lengthened the front panel of the leg, and attached a double hinge from there to the back panels that used to be the knees on the original figure. They still work as the feet, like my original mod shown earlier in the thread, but now accordion down on the double hinge to give him a little bit more height.

Here it is folded in for car mode.
    20161013_125431.jpg

And the bot leg mode.
    20161013_125911.jpg 20161013_125940.jpg

The feet don't look great, but I'm hoping that the paint job will make it work anyway...

11. warhawk

Hard to tell from the pics, but I assume there will be more refining. It looks like a good solution. It that aves epoxy sculpt added for stability?

12. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    He looks terrific!

13. gericault

Yeah, the pics aren't the greatest; the real think ain't as grainy as it looks! I added as much apoxy on the foot section to give it a bit more bulk. Unfortunately, the way it folds up in car mode doesn't give a lot of space...

Thanks! I really hope the paint job makes this work...

14. gericault

So here's what Deadend looks like now assembled, though without a head yet. I've got a couple of ideas, but haven't quite decided on what to use yet...
    The new transformation for the legs have given him an extra half inch of height which just about works.
    20161011_181931.jpg 20161011_182011.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. badasp

badasp Well-Known Member

Lookin' good.

16. gericault

OK, an update... Half way done painting, and I picked his head; the one from Fansproject's version of Deadend - possibly the biggest 3P disappointment I've had. The car was completely off and the bot was a mess of kibble. Argh.
    So there's still some work to do, but it's getting there! And YES I KNOW THE STRIPE IS ON THE WRONG SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'd already finished painting it when I realized what I'd done. What a twit! Still, it was too much work to start over again, and I don't really notice it. Sorry G1 purists :) 

20161107_152722.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  17. Deductor

Deductor Banned

Hey, it has the stripe, and it's beautiful. Damn you did a great job on this s figure. You deserve massive kudos. Well done

18. warhawk

Agreed. I only wish the pic was bigger, so I could really soak it in. Looking great so far

19. blastpak

blastpak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks great!

20. gericault

OK finally an update; but though he may look finished, it's only a WIP update and not a finished project!
    So here's the thing; after all this work, especially trying to get the legs to transform the way I wanted (extending down rather than unfolding), I'm really NOT happy with this guy!
    I'm happy with the the torso and arms, but he's just too short for what I wanted, and the only thing I can think to do is scrap the legs entirely and use a new pair of RTS Windcharger legs, keeping the original transformation.
    Thing is, I don't have a spare Windcharger, and, because of all the modding done to the torso and waist, I'm not quite sure if the original legs will even fit...
    So I'm sending a big request out to you guys for help!
    1) Could someone who has RTS Windcharger measure the length of his legs from the hip balljoints to the bottom of his feet when standing, and then measure the length of the legs when transformed in alt mode, and let me know the measurement?
    2) Does anyone out there have a junker Windcharger for sale or trade?

He will be completed one day! :) 
    20170305_132933.jpg 20170305_133129.jpg 20170305_133316.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 18