My Name is Earl - Brilliant or BS?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by realCliffjumper, May 7, 2009.

1. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I love the show. I hope it doesn't get cancelled but I hear if it does someone else will pick it. I don't think NBC owns it.

2. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I think it's fabulous. It's not something I have to make a date to watch - chiefly because it's endlessly repeated across the C4 channels in the UK - but I think it's incredibly well written and performed.

Plus who'da thought a man could look so cool in a 'tache like Earls?:D 

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I really liked Season 1, but it has gotten a little wierd latey. Recently it seems that they are making with the Poop and Pee jokes and have lost the smart themes and story lines that made the show unique. I also don't like the computer graphics that they use...That being said, both Joy and Katarina are super hot....

4. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Loved the first series, thought it was very inventive, with some clever plots - but that sort of formula only has so much life left in it, and you either run out or change it into something that just doesn't work as well (like the prison story arc).

It's got a finite life that I think has run out of steam. :( 

5. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Love it. There's a guy at work named Darnell. I call him crabman.

6. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I'd also like to add: I can't help but smile whenever I hear the words, "Hey, Crabman" and "Hey Earl." "Earl" isn't my favorite show on Thursday nights (that would be The Office), but I like it enough to watch it each week. It's not an easy thing to make me smile because I like the characters so darn much.

7. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While I don't watch much tv during the week I like Earl and it is one of the few shows I pick up the dvd's for. I still need to get season 3.

8. Drake

It's officially cancelled. It's not on NBC's fall lineup. No Earl, No Life, No Knight Rider, I'm done with them. NBC - Nothing But Crap.

9. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Veteran

News Credits:
    Rumor has it that Fox may pick up Earl. So, all hope is not lost yet.

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think NBC is out to lose me as a viewer. I gave up on Heroes, the cancel Earl. Now All I have left is Chuck. If they cancel that then I've got nothing worth watching on that station other than local news.

11. Drake

My local news is ABC and it's HD so NBC looses again.

12. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I absolutely loved this show during it's first season. I really looked forward to the second, but sadly, it wasn't long before I realized I wasn't enjoying it as much as the first. Regardless, I kept watching, hoping I'd get something out of it again. Come season three I was completely turned off by it...it became so gimmicky with the damn extended prison and coma storylines. Still, I kept watching in loyalty because I loved that first season so much and hoped it'd get that good again. This last season was a bit back on track, but I still didn't dig it that much. I think the magic was already long dead for me. Too hard to care anymore.

Even with them returning to the list item premise in season four, I think it retained the gimmicky feeling. It's like it was damned either way. If they were to explore the characters more and stray from the karma list, most people would want a return to form, and if they kept doing the list, well, it's the fourth year and then they're just milking the same exact thing they started with. Just how many people can he realistically run into out of nowhere that he needs to make amends with? Then there was the whole Geraldo two part episode thing, just a rehash of the Cops episode. I'm really not surprised it's canceled at all.

If it does get picked up by another network, I'll check it out, but I don't personally have much faith that I'll enjoy it.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  13. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    They killed my MEDIUM, too... :cry  I hope CBS picks it up.
    NBC = Assholes.

14. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Eh, if people aren't watching and the ratings are down, the network can't do much about it. They advertise, they do their part. It's up to the people at home to check it out from there.

Let's use a wonky baseball analogy. You've got a player that use to give you great results, but for the last year or so he just isn't hitting the ball or making any plays. His contract is up. What do you do? Do you scout for someone with the stats you need to make your team successful, or just stick with the other guy out of loyalty even though he's failing? It's touchy, but you ultimately gotta go with what best helps you get the win.

Makes me wonder how many people just checking out shows on torrents these days is hurting ratings and viewership

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  15. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I gotta agree. Earl is the opening act on Thursday night. If a show can't succeed at that time slot...well, that says alot.