3D Artwork: My 'More Than Meets The Eye' 3D WIP thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Star Cracker, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Um, I'm bored. Also, no bot form just yet. I need to finish a few things on the alternate mode, but it's 93% finished as far as I'm concerned. Airplane enthusiasts and Air Force personnel will probably note several inaccuracies with the model (mainly landing gear and speed brake hydraulic among others), and I apologize. Since these will most likely not be that noticeable and won't be upclose and render time, I didn't stress myself as much (though it was still a pain ;)  ).

Anywho, here's......... a taste! (at 720 x1280 Screen res to say the least!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And if you scope out those weapons on the hardpoints and do a little research, it should be pretty obvious who this guy is going to be when all cut up and reassembled into bot form. :D 

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lookin awesome so far.

3. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    hot lighting effects!

4. Bluestreak420

Bluestreak420 BS42O Prod. Inc.

Is it.....Bumblebee?

Awesome job BTW can't wait to see it textured and robot mode

5. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Coooooooooool.

6. surak777

surak777 Autobot Musician TFW2005 Supporter

Ultra Magnus... Dirge? Ramjet? hmm can't tell (ducks under table)

7. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Yummy. Looking forward to the "mystery bot.":) 

8. Star Cracker

pffttt.... for all you people know, it could be some obscure Masterforce pretender by the name of Metalhawk. But it's probably not as I only do American based continuities.:p 

9. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Ancient and knackered

Wheelie! :D  (Ah, come on...someone had to! :lol  )

That's looking mighty nice so far, SC, loving the level of detail! What's the poly count?

10. chubbzilla

chubbzilla One shall stand...

wow and i agree wheelie :D 

lol

cant wait to see it finished

11. Star Cracker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just me playing around with the lighting a little bit. And, yeah, it shouldn't be such a big surprise anymore as I just had to model my favorite Decepticon :D 

Polycount is something around 250,000 tris, but I'm trying to optimize and get rid of the crap. I hate it when I poly smooth and get a whole lot of extra edgeloops that aren't needed.

I have a general idea on transformation, but I'm breaking it down into pieces, and trying to work out the upper body. I might need to "break" off a section of the fuselage where the cockpit is to give more articulation to that area. And then I have to figure out what the hell to do with some of these other pieces. Anyways....:D 

12. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Ancient and knackered

Liking the lighting in both images; the top set-up will definitely give an extra edge to optic or weapon glows, whereas the bottom one has a nice stark contrast that'll make the details pop. :thumb 

*wishes his machine was capable of actually performing half-decent lighting calculations, instead of chugging along like a Commodore 64 on tranquilisers*

13. Star Cracker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Star Cracker

'Optimus Prime'

Sorry to revive a semi-dead topic, but I just wanted to update the MTMTE project here.

So no, it's not Starscream. I've decided that he will simply have to be redone at some point since his mesh is a nightmare to work with and that there are a lot of stupid little things that I did that over-complicated his modeling.

Anyways, here's a relatively decent WIP progress pic of the Generation 1 incarnation of Optimus Prime. All the work was done in Maya 8.5 and Mental Ray 4.5 (I think). I only used a basic Final Gather setup with contour rendering enabled so as to show the wireframe. There's still a lot to do on this guy's vehicle mode before I get around to cutting him up, and most likely, I'll wind up just doing the vehicle modeling for now, then move on to either Huffer (assuming someone can figure out what truck he turns into; I haven't been able to discern manufacturer or make) or Ironhide.

Attached Files:

15. prime_force

prime_force Prime Force Art

like prime m8, looks good. ur jet looked awesome too. do u own the toys of the models u are building by the way? i find they help alot to use as reference especially when figuring out the transformations. I see ur building the model pretty much in 1 mesh then breaking it apart in needed places when complete to allow it to transform correctly. Personally i prefer to figure out the transformation as best as possible b4 modelling and and print out some blueprints (found online) of the vehicle i am building and simply colour in each broken section in different colours and then simply follow those blueprints in maya building each piece at a time. Although the movie toy of prime has been helpful in certain ways for reference, i wanted him 2 transform more like the movie than the toy and using the coloured blueprints idea i mentioned earlier b4 modelling anything really has helped alot to be honest. I also have a massive 1.5meter tall poster of prime that has helped see the small robot parts that are not visible in vehicle mode. one site i use for blueprint reference ius here if u wanna take a look, http://www.the-blueprints.com/index.php?frontpage/ if u cant find what u need on there, just try searchin google ofcourse 4 any reference u can find. Hope all goes well 4 u in end anyway. cheers.

16. Star Cracker

Updating Optimus Prime

Here's a huge slew of new pics with one actual update into Prime's robot mode (well, really it's just a partial WIP of the helmet).

Attached Files:

17. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Prime is looking great! Looking forward to seeing it fully colored.

18. Star Cracker

Here's a little bit more I was able to get done tonight. Face really is just for placeholder/guide purposes right now.

Attached Files:

19. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

Prime's head looks sick.

20. D_Fool

D_Fool Well-Known Member

That prime is looking awesome. I thought this was an old thread as I was reading through, had such a feeling of Deja Vu. Can't wait to see Prime finished, makes me wish I had some time to continue modelling.