My Little Pony!

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by ILoveDinobot, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    It's time for...

THE ADVENTURES OF CHEAP RAINBOW DASH!

We begin our tale as RD waits for somebody to notice her. She's not an antique, what is she doing in this place? She honestly has lost track of time in this place.
    20190504_131436.jpg

Suddenly, her wish comes true! Somebody has chosen to take her away at last!
    20190504_123946.jpg

It was finally time to blow this popsicle stand at maximum speed!
    20190504_131701.jpg

"Come on, come on! Why do cars have to be so slow?!"
    20190504_141813.jpg

But she learned she would not be the only pick up today...
    20190504_154717.jpg

Suffice to say...I had a good day today.
    20190504_170804.jpg

I nabbed BIG SPIKE at Ollies with a 25% off coupon, I only paid like $10 for what the tag says was originally a $25 item priced down to $15. Pinkie was only $4.

And Rainbow? Well, funny story about her - the first image was her in-situ at the antique center, completely out of place and with no tag. I took the picture of the stall number to reference with an employee just out of curiosity. The nice cashier ended up having to call the guy who ran the stall and it turned out that RD was of course not his item - but nobody knew where she came from. And then after explaining the lengthy process of what happens to items that lose their tags and can not be put back where they belong (basically 90 days in the lost and found, and then off to the donation bins they go)...the lady conferred with the store manager and promptly sold me RD for 50 cents because we all agreed it wasn't worth all the hassle over a tiny horse toy.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  2. gabumon

gabumon papertoy designer

News Credits:
    nice. congrats. i love those little stories about finds.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    When I end up buying secondhand things like toys, generally I find that I'm more willing to buy/spend if there's a unique story behind it, much like why the roughed up McD's Cheerilee I have (before I ended up getting a duplicate and the other variant in a big lot on eBay) is one of the most unique in my collection even though I technically own two of her - only one of them was found inexplicably in a gated community pool and was repeatedly shoved into my camera bag by an over eager little cousin.

'Cheap' Rainbow (actually the 'Zoom and Go' Rainbow Dash, you flip her legs up and roll her along on her belly and her wings flap - she's missing the hat and the wagon but for 50 cents given it's a surprisingly unique gimmick with near GoH level articulation, I can do without the accessories) has her story in being the random find at an antique mall that had no price tag and only managed to escape a lengthy 'lost item' arbitration period of 90 days because all involved were in agreement it would have been a colossal waste of everybody's time to deal with that mess for a simple toy.

Another thing I like to do when shopping is if I get a toy, I typically shoot for the worst condition package so long as the product inside is perfectly fine. After all, something in a pristine box is more likely to sell than something with a bent corner or broken clear window. Since I pretty much open all my figures, the condition of the package is of no concern in those cases, so that's why I grabbed that Spike instead of the mint boxed ones behind him. I'm just choosing to not open him now because I need to make space in the display and it's easier to store him while still in the box.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    It's amazing what finds exist at garage sales.
    20190525_184722.jpg
    Aurora plushie RD (MSRP 7.99!)
    Minis clear Fluttershy
    Design a pony Princess Luna S1 design
    Unknown origin pony princess twilight pony
    Unknown origin EQG twilight human

Each one cost a quarter.

I wasn't sure about picking up the Luna since obviously it's been 'decorated' with the stickers and weirdly seems to be trying to impersonate Cadence, but that was when I discovered she was in the '25 cent' box. If I ever get bored I'll probably strip the stickers off and repaint the hair and wings to be more show accurate.

I'm also pretty sure the mysterious Twilight pony and Twilight human are from the same place, but there's no markings on them (besides amusingly the horseshoe logo for equestria girls under the right foot of the human), so I don't know what they came from.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:

Congrats and agreed! I've found all kindsa neat stuff at yard sales.

A muppet baby drum set
    A SMB1 pencil case
    A vintage Rainbowbrite doll
    A rusty sword
    Protective football gear
    A Gamecube
    An accordion
    An old fashioned ivory colored telephone with carved flowers and a golden dial plate
    An arcade plug n play with a controller shaped like an arcade cabinet

• Like Like x 2
  6. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    A bit off topic but from one of the same garage sales (the one I got the human Twilight, Luna, and Dash), I found this stuffed dog who reminded me of the imaginary friend I used to have back in first grade - the exact friend was Blue from Blues Clues, but while obviously this dog isn't that character, it seemed to fit in that 'wildly inaccurate and yet sorta still recognizable child's drawn rendition' type of way. I nostalgia'd hard.

20190525_154907.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Venixion

News Credits:

Aww that's cute. :3

8. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  9. gabumon

News Credits:
    for some reason i thought that was already a thing. they have these people in this pony type costumes where the back legs are fake and the actors torso and body are in the pony’s head, right?

10. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Yeah, that one only had RD, AJ, and Twi though.

11. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    God I love outlet stores. And garage sales.
    20190608_124105.jpg

The Dr. Whooves was a quarter at a garage sale, the rest 5 bucks a piece at Five Below.

20190608_133033.jpg

I'm torn on the quality of the Movie figures here. On the one hand, they really kind of lack basic articulation (except AJ, her body is a standard GOH design). Celeano has a swivel neck but her right arm only has a universal shoulder and elbow joint, NOT a wrist joint. And her left arm has a gimmick not even mentioned on the box - moving the arm up at the shoulder bends in the elbow. It would be more impressive if the sword wasnt is pathetically short. Spike has a neck joint and that's it - the burning wood sword at least is a decent accessory. Treasure chest is cool, though - its spring loaded so when the lid is unlocked, it flies open like a chest from Legend of Zelda.

Boyle's is a massive statue who, like Celeano, only really has articulation in his right arm but he at least has a wrist swivel. His gimmick is squeezing his right leg in raises his left arm which has no articulation beyond the geared hand attachment which can be a wood mallet that suspiciously looks like a beer mug, a drill, an anchor on a rope, and a ship's wheel. However, all but the mallet are too long and collide with the ground, making it hard to stand him up - otherwise, he's a solid statue. Really should have had a neck swivel.

AJ is a decent figure, but her accessories are weird. I love the steampunk flight pack but it doesnt fit all that well and you have to remove her hat. I dont even know what to do with the belt/goggles? Also in the set, the back of the box doesnt do anything with it. And her sword was done by somebody who has no idea what a cutlass looks like - the blade is facing THE WRONG WAY to the handguard.

All in all, I'd be disappointed if I bought these at full price...except I didnt, I got them for 5 bucks a set. And visually they are amazing and since they'll primarily just sit on a shelf doing nothing but look good? I'd say I got my money's worth. Now, time to see if the flight pack works on Cheese Sandwhich...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Venixion

News Credits:
    Fantastic find!

My daughter has Captain Celaeno. She's an amazing figure. She did want another one to turn into one of the Rito from Breath of the Wild, but they disappeared fast.

And in a brand that mostly makes static figures, are you really that surprised that they don't have much articulation? ;) 

That was the Spike I used as a custom. Sure wish I could find his sword though. Its cool.

Oh as an aside, I have heard that School of Friendship sets have started popping up at Ross. I'll hafta check it out and see if I can try n snag Sandbar.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    At the register, the pirates actually rang up as 'Guardians of Harmony' figures so at the very least I was expecting a basic level of articulation at the neck and thighs. I did figure out that Celeano's gimmick is actually similar to Boyle - squeeze her left leg and it's supposed to swing the arm, but it actually is pathetically weak (the gears might be misaligned when I tried to pose the arm at first and there were clicking noises - but no mention of this action feature anywhere left me unaware of that). You have to press the leg in almost all the way for it to do anything.

But I feel like they should have Buzz Lightyeared the gimmicks with switches on the back instead of compromising leg articulation simply to have a more elaborate gearing system.

14. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  15. gabumon

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    I understand why they are doing it like this...but the fact is the original Twilight is a character in G4 - Sparkle's mom.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Venixion

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Venixion

News Credits:

Uh no. The original is a character in G1. There was no gray unicorn named Twilight Velvet in the original cartoon. Just a pink unicorn named Twilight. Don't try to retroactively force a character into a mould it doesn't fit in, just because you can't wrap your head around them pre-existing.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

It's obvious Twilight Velvet is supposed to be if nothing else an homage to G1 Twilight.

• Like Like x 2
  20. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

I’m wondering about getting a set of the 1/6 scaled ones. They are harder to knock over with a Nerf gun.