My hopes for “Revenge of The Fallen” dashed...to pieces.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Solitary Poet, May 13, 2009.

1. Solitary Poet

Solitary Poet The 12th Monkey

Ok, I went and saw “Star Trek” yesterday, and I really don’t see how “Revenge of The Fallen”, or any 09 summer movie for that matter, is going to top that. Even so, once again, we find Spock...um...in a cave.

2. ashion

ashion Well-Known Member

Hmm matter of opinion and generaly what people are looking for in a summer movie. Star Trek may be more appealing to people than TF:ROTF and vise versa. Or people will go to both/all the big summer movies.

The final box office tally will be the decider.

3. JuicyNo

JuicyNo Well-Known Member

Star Trek isn't as great as people are making it out to be....don't get me wrong though....I thought it was a great bit of summer movie and I'm glad I went to see it, but I don't really see it having much replay value for me. It was a good setup for a hopefully epic sequel, but it just didn't really stand out to me as a must see movie.

And I fully expect it to be outdone by month's end...pixar has a habit of producing critically acclaimed box office gold.

4. Razorwing

Razorwing The Fallen Alternity.

News Credits:
    Star Trek was cool. ROTF is going to be awesome.

5. SomeCroatianGuy

SomeCroatianGuy PS3 ID: DEATHSTROKE-cro-

News Credits:
    ^ this

6. JuicyNo

Great way of putting it.

7. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

...I'd question the NEED for TF2 to top it, personally.
    It's not liking one means you CANT like the other.

8. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    1.) The first movie got a good word of mouth and a lot of non-fans went to see it.

2.) It's not ours to call. It's the box office numbers.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I really wish Star Trek was the summer movie formula instead of the what the summer movie formula is really like. It had characters that you could give a darn about, it made me feel at home as a Trekkie, plenty of action, just the right amount of humor, a cool villain, a story that didn't feel dumbed down, just all I could hope for in a film.

One of those rare films where I walked out after the credits wanting the DVD and the second film.

Sort of a shame that we have the same writing team on both films and ILM working on both films, but I've just got this feeling I can't shake that Transformers will not be able to deliver on all fronts like Star Trek did. Transformers will do some things well, but overall I think comparing the two films chances are good I'll have a let down feeling after Transformers instead of that can't wait for the DVD feeling.

10. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly.

People say some weird things round here.

11. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    I am both a Star Trek and a TF fan. Star Trek was a truly brilliant movie and I have been to see it on three separate occassions now. It was the perfect blend of action, humour, and suspense and reclaimed what Star Trek had lost over the past forty years: The sense of fun!

Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman did a good job with TF1. With Star Trek they achieved excellence. I can only hope that with RotF that they continue the trend of improvement.

12. Ash from Carolina

I don't know good movies tend to ruin other films for me. Sort of like after watching Dark Knight the other super hero movies just don't seem worth it because now I know they can do better. Which is why I just skipped watching the new Wolverine movie because I figured it couldn't live up to the standards set by better films.

13. JuicyNo

I disagree. The characterization wasn't awful, but it wasn't tremendous. Apart from Spock (and I guess Scotty since I like Simon Pegg), I wouldn't have cared if they'd offed any of the characters from Trek...and this even coming from preconceived notions of who these characters are from previous Trek installments. (not arguing that TF1 had excellent characterization either). I still hold Aliens as the benchmark of quickly establishing a multitude of characters to the point of feeling concern over the fates of even the minor players.

Also, I would consider the basic revenge plot pretty dumbed down.

But I do agree about the balance of action and humor and thought the villain was cool (although underused).

14. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Excluding "Wolverine", that's a pretty bad way to go about watching movies if your gonna compare everyone you watch to the best film in that genre.

Then again, I could have interpreted the your wrong or something. Which I apologize for if so.

15. Ash from Carolina

A film doesn't have to reach the same level as the best film of that type I've ever seen, but I do need that feeling of they were going for that level. So while Blazing Saddles was the greatest comedy ever filmed I still enjoyed the only slightly less funny Tropic Thunder because it felt like they were going for the same epic level funny of a Mel Brooks film.

Maybe a better way of saying it then would be films that feel like they are going for that bench mark or better instead of films that somehow feel like they are just cashing in. Those films that oddly feel more about the art and being the best artist over just the box office. Although it doesn't hurt if a film can pull both art and profit.

16. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    I can't say why, exactly. But, I can't help but think that your opinion is a little...oh, I don't know....biased, for some reason. :lol 

17. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Well, if i compare Star Trek with TF1 i gotta say i enjoy more ST. I dont know, i just didnt get bored in some parts like i did with the first tf movie.
    And something tells me its gonna happen the same when i go watching ROTF but i'm still gonna enjoy it. :p 

18. Razorwing

Razorwing The Fallen Alternity.

News Credits:
    biased? I am posting in a Transformers forum? LOL. and I did not say I didn't like the Star Trek movie.

19. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

The Star Trek movie was cool, but I've already forgotten about half of it, and I don't have much urge to watch it again. I don't even really remember the ending, biggest impact moment for me was watching what happened to Spocks planet. THAT sticks out in my mind, but most of the movie was action fluff. Kinda like Crank, or any of the Transporter sequels. Cool to watch, but doesn't really stick with you.

RotF will be awesome however, lol. <----totally unbiased opinion. Yup yup.

20. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Cool story bro. Cool how you judge a movie that you haven't seen compared to one you have.