Heavy/Scratch: My First Kitbash - Devastator

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by MoeSizzlac, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    That's just wow. Great job! I agree about probably swapping the head out for supreme screamers though.

2. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Dude this looks very promising! Scrap that head, you won't get much from it except for the electronics. They're is so much to modify on it to get a Dev feeling of it that you may go with the starscream head right away.

3. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

I'm thinking of sticking with the old school G1 green and purple colors. Although I will admit some experimenting will be done before I decide on the right colors for this bot. I also contacted SB for some heads. This is going to look great. Thanks again guys!

4. MoeSizzlac

One of the toughest obstacles was coming up with strong connectors. Which Connectors did you use on yours Ptitvite? Sorry if you addressed this already. I see how mixmaster was attached but the arms are where I have the biggest questions. I ended up rigging a "kid Knex" piece where their original combiner pieces were. It has a pretty good hold but I was wondering if there were better connections for future projects. Thanks!

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    how are the Knex? I won a lot of 10,000 pieces of them off ebay...they still aren't here, but they looked promising as connectors.

I used the Neo-Shifters in my Devy, however, in menasor, I seem to have built them all with styrene.

6. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

I used the energon combiner connectors as they are very strong. Also used some Lego Knights ratchet joints.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I don't think I need to mention the head, since everyone has honed in on that bit. Are your individual robots still going to be able to transform?

One thing I would like to mention:

Welcome, Radicon! :) 

8. MoeSizzlac

This is the set I used on Dev (http://www.knex.com/building_toys/kid_country_friends.php)

I liked the blue little barbells cause they already had the holes. All I needed to use was a trim screw to really hold it in place. I like the strength of the White pieces to the red cap(look at the picture). For some reason it made for the best connection. My only gripe is that there really is no "Lock in" kind of feel when you put them together. to get that feel, I followed your tutorial on your website and put a magnet in the red cap where the forearms attach and with the screw on the other end, I feel that the joint is a lot more solid.

9. MoeSizzlac

1st, Thanks for the welcome! This site is amazing.

2nd, All 6 robots still transform pretty close to their originals with a little modding here and there. As for the head, I asked Sculpt bot to send me two heads he had in his inventory; 1 SS Starscream and 1 Dev G1 Head (See Pic). I'm sticking with his G1 Dev head for now but I like the SS Starscream head a lot as well. I'll probably just make them interchangeable.

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, his SSS heads are awesome. I have a...few of them ;p

11. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    If it were me I would stick with the G1 Dev head for being homage, but either head would be kickass no matter what.

12. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    This is really shaping up nicely, man. I really like what you've done so far. Can't wait to see it painted up. Keep up the great work!

13. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

dam man for a first attempt you are already looking like an old pro great job so far this is gonna be awesome

14. MoeSizzlac

Speaking of painting, what's the right order of things? Do I strip the paint using like 70% alcohol, then take all the bots apart as much as possible, then prime and finally paint? What's everyone's opinion on the matter?

F_R, I understand that you use enamel paints. Do you mix them with anything to help bonding? What airbrush do you like?

Like I said...I'm new to all of this. I'm reading REDLINE's Tut now to get a better feel.

15. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Well, to begin, I sand the entire piece. I give a wash in paint thinner which breaks up all the oils, etc. I usually airbrush on a custom color of primer, made of all fusion paints. Then airbrush on a base coat. I use an Iwata HP-C which I've had 10+ years and works like the day I bought it,

16. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

looking really good. cant wait to see more.

17. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    man cant wait to see him done.

18. MoeSizzlac

I'm still waiting on the ball and socket for the head/neck attachment from hobbylink(http://www.hlj.com/product/YLS09301) . I ordered it before it went on backorder but who knows when it will get here. For Now, I think I'll start painting.

19. MoeSizzlac

Alright now, 99% there. Just a few touch ups here and there but I'd have to say this was a lot of fun. Learned a lot on how not to paint. Thanks again for everyone's help.

20. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

congratulations on finishing up your first combiner. I've never seen it done with the Primus waist before. I think it looks pretty good.

Are you going to do any dry brushing touchups? It will showcase the detail in your bash. Great job!