My first confrontation in the Toy aisle...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tikgnat, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm in the middle here, being a teenager, little kids actually kinda look up to me (maybe its because I can reach the top of the shelf for them...or maybe its because I tower over them like an ent among a thrawl of rabid hobbits...) and I dont fall into the "crazy adult who's still buying toys" stereotype just yet. I'm just a 16 year old dude in the TF aisle right? Nothing wrong with that >.>
    DN

2. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I always get asked for a gift receipt at TRU. "No thanks".
    I think, like others, I have the look that cashiers wouldn't attempt to try and belittle.

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

:lol 

I usually just say Im a geek and I collect everything. Half the time they'll say their a nerd and tell me about the Care Bears.

Then Im like " Care Bears suck, ahahahaha you still collect toys"

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love watching the cashier's eyes quickly downcast to glare at the counter when I say "no thanks" to a gift receipt (3 times out of 5). To this day I still am amused by the ludicrous amount of quiet and broiling venom it can cause. :lol 

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I have that too, though one time a cute girl said, "This isn't for you is it?" in this kind of sing songy voice and I answered, "You bet your sweet ass it is."

6. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    Cashiers often realize immediately I'm a collector. Maybe it's because I walk around in TF shirts all the time.
    Some of the stores I go to are small enough that the cashier will actually be the manager (if not owner), and they must be at least somewhat into toys to be that I figure, so they appreciate the hobby.

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

That is the atom bomb of pwnage...

"For a living I put my hands in a pile of goo that used to be somebody's vitals to pull out the shrapnel so they don't die, and then I send them home to their families. I'll buy as many goddamn toys as I want!"

Nice. :) 

zmog

8. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

The only experience I've had where someone said something was the TRU girl who flirted with me because she thought it was cute.

So far, only 100% positives!

9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's crazy. I don't know, never had a problem. Parents don't care, co workers love my "desk decorations". Girlfriend is fine with it and collects her own stuff. It's funny how you get more respect for spending lots of money on alcohol, and are also not considered immature for spending cash on cigarettes, or any other countless "adult" addictions, but toy collecting is so taboo. Even worse is that lady probably has a bunch of useless trinkets cluttering the shelves of her home. Oh well, I have to say I never was in the situation but if I was I would probably say something that actually is immature back. "Shut up" is a good one!

10. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

:lol  Yeah me too, every time, guaranteed. Insert the 'silent moment' after 'no thanks' for me.

11. 1UpCheatachu

1UpCheatachu Lemony Fresh TFW2005 Supporter

I laughed.

On a more related note, I'm still a kid myself, so obviously I've never had an encounter like that.

12. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You should have then said “Be grateful that he isn’t in a street gang getting stabbed in a dark ally and left to die alone in a dumpster?"

13. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    HEHE. I'm the guy that laid into a Kmart cashier for crushing my Hotwheels. She just crammed all of them in a bag, bending the hell out of 'em. I proceed to ask "If a twenty something year old guy is spend $60 on Hotwheels, would mind not destroying the damned things?" She got smart, I went off. It ended rudely for her.

In the aisles, I'm usually asked for help by parents, which is odd. I guess I scare the smart asses.

14. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    Speaking as a former Devil Dog...you obviously don't know many Soldiers, Sailors, or Marines. You will never meet a more socially ******ed, imature (we're talking pre-pubescent), bunch of dorks. Especially the Army...they breed nerds like a Dungeons and Dragons convention. Perfect breeding ground for toy and comic collecting.

15. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I've never really had an encounter either at the checkout lanes or in the aisle that is negative. If I ever did, I'd just come back with something like "Well, then, it's a good thing I don't center my hobbies around what pleases you!".

I have had the occasional "That's a cool figure" or "I remember these!" comments. I've also had the opportunity to help people too, when they ask for it or look like they need it, especially around Christmas time. Back when Armada was still on shelves, I had been looking for Nemesis Prime and had finally found one at our local Walmart. A woman was looking earnestly through the TFs and I asked her if she was looking for anything in particular. She told me her son asked for a "Nemesis" Prime" for christmas and I handed her mine and told her that I hoped her kid had a nice christmas. I found another one not too much later, and got an extra one from IG, so it wasn't a big deal. I've also helped parents shopping for their kids when it comes to TFs too. So definately more positive than negative in the toy aisle.

16. 1UpCheatachu

1UpCheatachu Lemony Fresh TFW2005 Supporter

That's nice of you, especially considering you didn't know that you would find another one. :thumb 

17. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

I have bought toys in person, but cashiers have never made a comment. If they do I'll say something like "I can buy what I want, does it matter to you what I want?" or "Do I have to explain to you why I buy the things I buy?"

18. Metroflex

Metroflex Banned

Damn, sounded like a perfect chance to uppercut a punk-ass.

I just tell people it's cheaper than crack. Then I start scratching my arms, get a wild look in my eye and ask "Hey, do you have any CRACK?!" They look frightened, shake their heads, then slowly back away and allow me to resume hunting for my wonderful plastic crack.

19. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    If the 5 year old was still in that you should have asked her if he still wore diapers and sucked his thumb.

WTF people are stupid. OK so fucking what, we didn't grow stodgy and lame when we got older like her. Fuck Off!

20. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah fuck that bitch!

sorry hadta vent. lol at CM tho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.