Heavy/Scratch: My 4th of July project, FINISHED! Behold Alternator...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Wreckgar, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    KUP!

Now no peeking until the end as this will be a step by step rundown.

[​IMG]
    Now this is what I started with. An alternator Smokescreen and a model of a 71 Plymoth GTX.

[​IMG]
    Now first came the cutting. As seen in the first pic, the model was one solid piece. Using a very thin hacksaw, some sandpaper, exacto knife, and wire cutters, I cuopped it up into the nedessary parts.. Then a nice spray of light blue to match Kup's original colors. Also took a brush of the same colors to the blue parts on Smokescreen that i needed. Legs, undercarriage, etc.

[​IMG]
    While that was drying, I took it upon myself to work on the head. I tookl the Side Swipe head from the Alt and sanded down the ears and mouth-guards. As seen later, I just chopped the ears right off. Why? Explanation later.

[​IMG]
    When the parts dried, assembly began. Now it goes together the same as Alt Smokey. However there were some problems. For starters, the hood is wider than Smokey. Thus I needed to alter the mounts for them. I used the engine mount from the original model and made some extnetions. Thus shown in red. This allowed me to put the hood on without totally screwing up the body design.

[​IMG]
    Once the hood was on, I had to match up the windshield. This wasn't easy becasue Smokey's shield was screwed on with a flap. The model didn't have that. So instead I took the end of the left over engine mount and placed in on the dashboard. Then hot glued the windshield in place. The mount added support that the front couldn't handle along.

2. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Now a quick transformation to mke sure everything fits. WOO! There was a problem though. The head didn't fit in the slot. DOH! SS head was to big. Thus I ended up completely cutting off the ears. It still didn't fit. DAMN! So I actually ended up cutting out the back of the head. Using the wire cutter pliers, Ipretty much "scooped" out the back and hot glue the head in place. Now it doesn't move. But I don't mind to much. he's not for play, he's for display. FYI, anyone trying to put SS head on Smokey, it won't work. The hole is to small. I had to pry the head open about a cm to pop it on the peg.

[​IMG]
    Quick change back to car mode and time to add the wheels and arms. Now this was another problem. The wheels went to far up into the hood so I needed to entend them down. This also needed to be done for transformation. Since I can't have them swivel out, I needed to get them to pull as far to the side as possible. To do so, I took the base from the arms fro mSmokey and pirred it off the frame. I then glued them to the underside of the hood. This was the perfect side and can't be seen from outside the car.

[​IMG]
    Now here was another problem. Smokey is build the way he is for parts to fit on him. This time parts were being added to an exising body, a lot harder. So editing and moving was needed. The dorrs were a big problem. I had to glue the door on the inside the exat way it is. This meant no movement. I couldn't used the slider that alts have on the doors. I also needed to push the doors out to meet the end of the front end. To do so, I actually used the seat cushions from the model. The rounded part fit perfectly against the model door and the flat part stayed against the frame.

[​IMG]
    I didn't get to many pics of the back end but here's one of the modification I needed to do. The feet were going to be a problem plain and simple. The trunk couldn't be cut like Smokey because it's a different shape. And feet were next to impossible to fold out with the design. So this was my next option. I cut off two of the axles on Smokey's rear that the back feet folded out on. I then glued them to the inner sides of the model. When this dried, I put the back feel on and glued the backs of the model seats to them for a slight extention for support.

3. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    And here's the result

[​IMG]
    Not bad IMO. it turned out a little less than fantastic becasue I just couldn't snap the pieces together. Everything is very fragile. And I'll end up cutting of the undercarriage as well. Also the width of the car wouldn't allow for me to add the front tire rotation bar. Not long enough. but I'll somehow modify it and get it to work. But as I said before, it's for display.

[​IMG]
    Other side of car. Looks a little more put together except the rear meeting the roof and the wheel lifted off the ground. This is why the undercarriage will be taen out. Like I said, very fragile.

[​IMG]
    Front of the car turned out excellent I think

[​IMG]
    And back tuend out good. Not great but couldn't be helped. I'll tinker around with it and try to allign it more.

[​IMG]
    And remove the hood for the engine. Same as Smokey.

4. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    And the finalized robot mode. This I think turned out spectacular. it kicks all forms of ass and I'm content in the way it looks. As you can tell.

[​IMG]
    Back view so you can see where everything goes. The doors do not fold out like I said so they are stuck only moving enough so the roof can fold down. But Kup didn't have doors anyway.

[​IMG]
    And hanging with the gang.

5. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    o0 My god, this is beautiful!

6. Airraid

Airraid Well-Known Member

That is friggin awesome!!! You put a lot of work into that and it rocks!! :rock 

7. Lazerbeak

Lazerbeak Keronian Ambassador

I always saw Kup as a pickup truck, but I'll be damned if this vehicle mode doesn't kick ass anyway!

The fact that his transformation is more "primitive" (for lack of a better term) fits in perfectly with his character, making him look more old-fashioned. Awesome job! :thumbs2: 

8. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. As for him being a pickup, yea that's what I would optimally go for but the fact that all Alts seem to be real modern cars and Kup is the only old-timer in the group, it just seemed to fit.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    WOW.. that's just all I can say, wreckgar! *L* Kup turned out excellent! :thumb  truly an outstanding project.

Andy

10. cromagnus

cromagnus B-boy rumble

Damn!

Dude, did you sleep?
    I really enjoyed the presentation of your nose to the grindstone weekend. It looks like you have an amazing ability to tackle unforeseen issues. happy fourth. A weekend well spent.
    I love that car to death.
    I feel like his legs could use some feet.
    He also looks like he's wearing the front end like a turtle neck. Maybe you could widen the shoulders? keep us posted on your alterations.
    -amitabah :dj 

11. Icebergman

Icebergman Well-Known Member

That is way cool!!!

12. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

That's actually pretty freakin cool. Nice work. :thumbs2: 

13. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great job dude...
    He looks awesome in the group pic!

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Damn, that kicks all forms of ass! It would take me over a month to make that, and it would be all floppy n stuff. Now you have a proto mold so you can make more Woot!!
    I get paid on thursday.

15. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Amazing! Kup turn out great, awesome work, CONGRATULATIONS!!! :thumbs2: 

16. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats really cool. Looks like you put alot of hard work into that. I know I would never be able to do that, if I would have run into any of those problems, I would have just given up. Great job!!!!

17. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    Um, yea. No problem...

Actually I did sleep. All together, it took me about 2 afternoons, so roughly 10 hours. However, that doesn't include paint. Now lets see what I decide to turn Side Swipe into next weekend.

18. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

awesome job bud

19. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

That's one hell of a kick-ass Alt. Kup, Wreckgar. :thumbs2: 

20. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    That's awesome. Excellent work.