Must Have Characters

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by 19Jazz84, Jun 2, 2017.

1. 19Jazz84

19Jazz84 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Greetings everyone!

I'm trying to compile a list of the best representations of MP/3P G1 characters to sort out my future purchases and I've started sorting them by order of importance. For example, to me characters like Soundwave, Optimus Prime, Megatron, and Starscream are all must haves for a proper G1-centric shelf.

I grew up only knowing the 86 movie and the Return of Optimus Prime and Rebirth episodes, along with having a handful of G1 reissues so the characters from those all hold a sentimental place in my heart and I would like to try to have them represented as well in my collection. For the record I'd like to state that, in a perfect world, I would be a completist/completionist (whatever the "correct" term is for having a representation for every single character) but alas the real world has limitations, hence the need for this list.

So to help get an idea and shape my opinion I thought I'd ask y'all what characters do you consider to be must haves? And to you is it because they are an iconic character to TF lore, or is it because of a sentimental attachment, or is there another reason for you? Also, you don't necessarily have to limit your responses to G1, although that is my primary reason for this post. And feel free to share your personal preference for a figure of each character if you'd like!

To me, the characters I think are most important are largely comprised of characters from the 86 movie and a few from the first two seasons of the G1 cartoon. To break it down, here's my list of the "must haves" for my collection (in no particular order):

Autobots
    Optimus Prime, Jazz, Prowl, Bumblebee, Ironhide, Ratchet, Hot Rod/Rodimus, Kup, Ultra Magnus, Arcee, Springer, Blaster (and cassettes), Blurr, Wreck-Gar, Wheelie, Perceptor, Grimlock

Decepticons
    Megatron, Soundwave (and cassettes), Starscream, Constructicons, Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge, Sixshot, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Shockwave

• Like Like x 3
  2. Clou

Clou Member

To me it's about the toys me and my brother had when we were kids and the ones we wanted but couldn't get. We've neve seen the Movie or the Series. So it's Prime, Bee, Jazz, the Dinobots, Starscream, Megs, Shockwave and the Constructicons. Even though I bought some more these are the ones that count for me. And since I haven't seen the cartoon till now, toy accuracy is what I'm going for.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kinoko

Kinoko Mushroom Princess

Great topic! I'm a bit new here, but I'm also interested in what veterans have to say about this list of character importance. It'd be interesting to see folks order this list, or at least divide the character on each faction in to tiers of importance (where Optimus and Megatron would obviously be the highest tier).

It'd be insightful for those of use who may be on limited budgets wishing to purchase the most important characters only.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 19Jazz84

Twitter:
    That's actually what my end goal is! I've started working on an Excel spreadsheet but it's not very organized yet.

5. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:

Hey 19Jazz84,even tho you have these in your list I will point out the best versions you should get of those,also of some you don't have on your list,here they are.

1.Grimlock or in this case FansToys Grinder (preferably the Chrome version coming out this summer.
    2.Jazz aka MakeToys Downbeat,this thing is so Toon Accurate you will think he stepped out of your TV.
    3.Galvatron also FansToys Sovereign is a great way to go.
    4.Springer for that would be UniqueToys Allen,he's not so much screen accurate but more toy oriented.
    5.Those not on your list I say get the complete set of FansToys Iron Dibots Set of Stomp,Soar,Sever,and Scoria,those look awesome together.
    6.Hands Down another you should get is FansToys Phoenix (their take on G1 Skyfire,he is phenomenal).
    7.For Decepticons I would suggest the Insecticons (there are so many to choose from out there but watch reviews to see which you like best).

• Like Like x 1
  6. 19Jazz84

Twitter:
    Thank you for your input! I already have Downbeat and I love him (despite the legs, that representation of Jazz is spot on). I plan on getting the FansToys Sovereign for sure. To me, I prioritize cartoon/movie accuracy so Allen isn't my perfect Springer, but X-Transbots' Virtus looks spot on to me. I have MP-08 for my Grimlock, but down the road, I'd love to get a larger version to match my personal scale taste and I think Grinder is my ideal replacement. The Insecticons, Dinobots, and Skyfire (Phoenix) are all definitely on my list, though others take priority first for me.

7. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Interesting, I think the absolute must haves, the faces of G1 as I would like to call it, which should be present in every collection are;

Optimus Prime
    Megatron
    Galvatron
    Rodimus Prime/Hot Rod
    Soundwave
    Shockwave
    Starscream
    Bumblebee
    Ultra Magnus
    Jazz
    Grimlock(dinobots)
    Constructicons

I believe that these are the most iconic characters in the Sunbow G1 universe and as a result I think it would be an absolute travesty for any of them to be not represented in the MP line by TT. As a result I'm staying away from third party renditions of these characters as I feel TT will make all of them, so far only 4 of those characters minus the rest of the dinos and constructicons haven't been made in the V2 or should I say V3 scale in the Rodimus Prime....which shows I'm in good stead!

With the exception of the dinobots as I feel TT won't be doing them any time soon!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

I'm something of a S1 purist, so I tend to prioritize those characters over others. I also see things in terms of pairs or groups. As such my list looks like this:

S1 Autobots
    Optimus Prime
    Jazz
    Wheeljack
    Ironhide
    Ratchet
    Sunstreaker and Sideswipe
    Prowl and Bluestreak
    Hound
    Bumblebee
    Grimlock and the Dinobots
    Cliffjumper

S1 Decepticons
    Megatron
    Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp
    Soundwave and Casettes
    Shockwave
    Insecticons
    Constructicons

After that movie characters like Ultra Magnus, Hot Rod, Arcee, Galvatron, and Cyclonus would make the list, as would key S2 characters like the conehead seekers, Blitzwing and Astrotrain, as well as S1 characters like Skyfire, Brawn, Windcharger and a few others.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Wheeljoker

Wheeljoker Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly with Yeled for the Autobot side of things. For me on the Decepticon side it's gotta be Megatron,Shockwave,Soundwave and Starscream.

• Like Like x 2
  10. zeroblue2099

zeroblue2099 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sometimes I prioritize by comparing to previous lines/sub-lines. Normally I lean towards S1/S2 characters, but if a line trends toward Movie/S3/S4 characters then I prefer they stick to those later characters.

The bare minimum for the Decepticons: Soundwave, Starscream, Swindle, Ravage, Laserbeak, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Shockwave and Megatron.

For the Autobots the bare minimum is: Jazz, Wheeljack, Ratchet, Optimus, Bumblebee, Ironhide, Grimlock, Cliffjumper, Prowl and Jetfire.

Which has never happened. CHUG has been the closest I've gotten. If someday I'm lucky enough to get all those guys:
    Decepticons: Rumble, Frenzy, Astrotrain, Blitzwing, Constructicons, Bombshell, Sharpnel, Cyclonus, Ratbat, Galvatron, Motormaster, Kickback.

Autobots: Brawn, Swoop, Slag, Blaster, Sideswipe, Preceptor, Hound, Ultra Magnus, Snarl, Arcee, Blurr, Hot Rod, Kup, Springer, Wheelie, Omega Supreme, Powerglide and Bluestreak.

Then a bunch of random personal choices that probably outside of CHUG I will never see in the same line.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I think for the Autobots you can get away without Blaster's cassettes. I'd also say you need to add Hound, Wheeljack, Cliffjumper, and Brawn, as they were fairly regularly used. Most of the other Season 1 +2 Autobots had a big moment or episode, but were basically background characters.

For Decepticons I couldn't suggest taking anyone off the list, but you really need Reflector and the Insecticons. I'd arguably suggest that the Coneheads, Blitzwing, and Astrotrain make the "essentials" cut.

• Like Like x 2
  12. King Nergil

King Nergil Ruler of a lost kingdom

I mostly agree with malware about the core characters. Optimus Prime, Megatron, Galvatron, Rodimus Prime, Soundwave, Shockwave, Starscream, Bumblebee, Ironhide, Jazz, Grimlock are the bare minimum. Then it comes to personal preferences and memories. Personally I could not be a happy collector without a representation of all 5 Dinobots.

• Like Like x 2
  13. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Fondest toy characters

Squeezeplay
    Doubledealer
    Darkwing
    Dreadwing
    Perceptor
    Divebomb

Fondest cartoon characters

Scourge (own one I'm happy with)
    Cyclonus
    Skyfire
    Soundwave (own one I'm happy with)
    Grimlock (own one I'm happy with)
    Iron Hide (own one I'm happy with)
    Arcee

Hoping to see some MP offerings of the ones yet to be made really soon.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Beast Wars Season 1 specific roster
    Maximals
    Optimus Primal, Cheetor, Dinobot, Rhinox, Rattrap, Tigertron, Airrazor

Predacons
    Megatron, Terrasaur, Scorponok, Waspinator, Blackarachnia, Inferno, Taranchulus

Beast Wars Season 2 specific roster
    Maximals
    T Optimus Primal, T Rattrap, Silverbolt, Depthcharge, T Cheetor

Predacons
    T Megatron, T Taranchulus, Quickstrike, Rampage, Ramhorn, Seaclamp, Cicada

Decepticons
    Ravage

Beast Wars Season 3 specific roster
    Maximals
    Optimal Optimus, T Blackarachnia, Tigerhawk, T2 Cheetor

Predacons
    Dragon Megatron, T Dinobot

Every other continuity, era, whatever I can pretty much take or leave just about anything. Even within IDW I have my two biggest must haves already; Tarn and Overlord thanks to MMC. So outside Beast Wars I'll pretty much pick up anything and everything I can afford and like and am confident is worth having. I wouldn't say I'll ever feel a need to have a "complete" collection of anything outside Beast Wars.

• Like Like x 2
  15. WNDCHRGR

WNDCHRGR TFW2005 Supporter

I would say that's pretty much a good "iconic" list right there. Like if you had a company and you were going to make some TF bobbleheads or cheap gumball machine toys, but you can only do 11 characters, those would probably be it. But I agree more that it's more a matter of your own personal preference and TF experience. You have to right your own "must have" list. There's only three real must have characters: Optimus, Megatron ........AND WINDCHARGER!!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  16. WNDCHRGR

WNDCHRGR TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah that's pretty much were I'm coming from. I love all kinds , not every, but all kinds of TF continuities :BW, TFP, IDW, Japanese series/seasons , but G1.S1 is the heart and soul.....to me.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    My main collection is chug and thats where i collect the characters i think are important.
    My MP collection is more about robot or altmodes i want to be completely right even the details:
    So far that has meant Soundwave, Shockwave, Ratchet.
    I am hoping for Mindwipe, Cyclonus, Galvatron, Scourge, Astrotrain. But am not happy with current offerings.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Straight Edge

Straight Edge A Legend In My Own Central Processor

For me, must have characters are the offbeat ones. Yeah, I have almost every figure from 1984 and 1985 in my MP collection (Takara or 3P), but I really want to see the "other guys" get their day in the sun. The gimmicks that are fun to mess with, the characters who were memorable even when they weren't in the cartoon, the obscure links between Diaclone/Microchange and the Transformers toyline.

Autobots: Jetfire (not Skyfire), Nightbeat, Minerva, Punch/Counterpunch, Whirl, Roadbuster, Bumper, Metalhawk, Thunderclash, Ironfist, G2 Laser Rod Electro and Volt.

Decepticons: Runabout and Runamuck, Flywheels and Battle Trap, Dreadwind and Darkwing, Overlord, Needlenose, Quake, Crankcase, Skullgrin, Bugly, Iguanus, Bombblast, Bludgeon, Thunderwing, Slicer, Hooligan.

The "core" guys are easy to determine. They get new toys in every iteration of the franchise. No one disputes their importance. But it's the little guys who "flavor" your collection that will make it unique and important to *you*!

• Like Like x 1
  19. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Minor tidbits asside, I can say we finally found something we can agree on for once.

I wish they would rerelease the black rodimus again, though I doubt it.

To the OP. Personally it doesnt go with how important the characters where in the Sunbow, but how much I like them.

For example in malware5's list I would throw away Rodimus (except the black deco I was talking about) and Jazz and replace them with Huffer and Cyclonus.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TFDAD

TFDAD Well-Known Member

This is very close my list with the additions of Skyfire, Brawn, Windcharger, Huffer, Reflector, Gears and any other G1S1 bots as must haves. That was the season I remember watching the most and these are the characters whose voices are still stuck in my head (most of them at least). After that I go to bots I had as a kid or any S2/Movie/S3 bot that stands out. Agree on Ultra Magnus, Coneheads, Blitzwing and Astrotrain. These are big wants for me (have MP-22 and Dirge is on the way).

I didn't see the movie until I was in college so it doesn't resonate with me like it does with many others on the board. Also, I tend to like the more realistic looking alt-modes (love the car bots and jets). For these reasons, bots like Galvatron, Cyclonus, Arcee, etc will most likely get a pass from me.

• Like Like x 1