Music lable Soundwave Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Viper_486, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

I recently purchased a Music Label Soundwave, and the Rumble/Frenzy headset.
    Only problem is I know almost nothing about this newest generation of tech, and have no clue what exact card I should get to put in him.
    I know its a miniSD, but a casual check on ebay will list a ton of miniSD and SDHC items, and I havent a clue what ones are and what ones arent compliant with Soundwave.
    I really want to use him as a MP3 player, but dont have a clue where to start on the memory stick dilemma, and dont want to drop 30-40 clams for the wrong card.
    Can someone on here help me out, maybe shoot me a few recommendations?

Thanks!

Viper 486 out.

2. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Go to Staples or Radio Shack as Mini SD are often on sale there (or Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, etc.) and shop around for a good deal. Brand doesn't really matter, but SanDisk is the most popular in retail stores. Besides being able to find a deal, if you buy it from a brick and mortar and you mistakenly pick up the wrong card, you can return it for the right one.

Also, you're going to need a card reader so you can import your music to the card, and make sure you get a Mini SD card that comes with an adapter to fit it in normal SD devices (like a card reader).

Good luck.

3. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

But I do want to avoid the SDHC right?

Darn, I feel like such a NoOb asking about this (is why I put it off for the last three months)
    I have a multi-reader for my other cards, so thats no prob.
    The only reason I have been confused, is all the pertinent info for Soundwave is in Japanese.
    I have searched both my local Walmart and Target, and neiter here where I live carry mini SD cards (i have no clue why not)
    They carry readers for them, and products that require them, but dont have any in stock.
    Thats why I turned online, and thats where I ran into the brick wall.
    Thanks again for your help.

Viper 486 out.

4. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Mini SD isn't that widely used (though Micro is common for cell phones), so more tech oriented stores are more likely to carry it. SDHC is just a higher capacity SD card.

This is a decent deal (though it expires Sunday). It's strange though, because it's essentially a Micro SD card with Mini and SD adapters.

This one Is just an ordinary 1 GB Mini SD card (which for some reason costs the same as the 512 MB one on the same site).

If you want to buy online though, you should definitely do it here.
    Newegg is amazing with really fast shipping and the best tech prices around. I've ordered thousands of dollars worth of computer parts from them and have never had a problem. The link I gave you is all their Mini SD cards.

So yeah, that's all you really need to look for, and I'm pretty sure all Radio Shacks and Staples carry them in-store, but you could always call before you go looking. Hope that helps.

5. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

Wow, it does
    Thanks!

One last question, based on your statement, does that mean the SDHC cards should work?

I really want a 4 gig one, lol. :D 

6. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I'm honestly not sure if Soundwave's compatible with Mini SDHC. I think it should work, but he's really low-tech, and some SD devices only accept 2GB max. You could gamble it, but I don't know if it'll work.

EDIT: I just did a little research of my own, and this site says that ML Soundwave's manual says it only accepts up to 1 GB, but 2 will work. Other sites are saying 1 GB max, probably based on the manual info. 1 GB is safe, but I think it might have the 2GB max capacity. I only have 512 MB for mine since I only have voice clips loaded onto it, so that's where my experience with it ends.

Either way, here's a link to the MiniSDHC cards at Newegg.

Good luck, and let me know what you end up with.

7. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Yeah, several sites confirm that it has a 2gb max capacity despite Takara listing 1GB in the manual, so stick with 2gb or lower and you'll be fine. Sorry for the multiple posts/edits, I'm trying to update my info as I search, but I'm done now. Hope that helps.

8. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

Yup!
    You are a godsend!
    That is exactly the info I needed before I bought.
    Monday its off to the local Officemax for me!
    Thanks man, I owe you one.

9. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    No problem, I'm glad I could help you out. post to the thread once you get some memory and get it working.