Murphy: Cullen/Welker For The Movie Is Far From A Done Deal

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Super_Megatron, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    I don't really care one way or another as long as it's someone whom isn't a big name just to get a big name.

That being said, I'd love to get Cullen back as the VA for Prime, but wouldn't be sad if he didn't get the role. Personally, I just hope Chalk doesn't get the role... he was great in BW/BM, but I don't really care for his recent portrayals as Prime in Armada/Energon/Cybertron. He's been alot better in Cybertron to be sure, but I guess he'll always be Primal to me and, as fans are always wining about, they're two completely different characters. I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing the guy whom did Prime in RID either, but I seriously doubt that would happen, because he's done even less VA work than Cullen.

As for Welker, god please no. I just can't take Welker seriously. I wouldn't mind seeing Kaye as he's an awesomely serious villain. Not to mention, he plays Megs with class.

Although, to be honest, I think that we're all kidding ourselves to think that they're actually going to use any of the existing VA's. The studio is going to look for people that will give them some box officer credentials. However, I'm hoping that they focus that for the human characters since we've been told the whole thing will be done from their perspective. Still, even if they focus the big name actors on the human characters I doubt we'll get Cullen, Welker, Kaye or Chalk for the VA's for the robots given this last tidbit of information. They will, more than likely, find some no name's that will do the voices well. Or we'll get a bunch of no name's and the movie will bomb.

But to be honest, I just want to see the movie get finished and get all this harping over with. And, hopfully we'll got the route that Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four and other movies based on old school characters have. I'd love a franchise of movies, but, let's face it, the only way that's going to happen is if it appeals more to the mainstream than the fanwankers. Fanwankers seem to think they're going to bring the most money to the movie, but, seriously, that will not be the case. The movie needs to appeal to more than the old school G1 lovers and to more than the new school guys whom grew up with BW/BM and the current anime series'. No, what we need is something that's going to pull us into the mainstream, and fankwanking aside we aren't all that mainstream. Making this movie appeal equally to all the fans and people whom haven't even though about TF's in the last 15 to 20 years since the original G1 series stopped airing.

2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

You mean like the '86 movie was;) 

Leonard Nimoy
    Robert Stack
    Judd Nelson
    Orson Welles
    Eric Idle

This movie was pretty much an 84 mins commericial with some big time actor's attached to it

IIRC this movie while liked by fans pretty much did suck.And was why GIJOE was simply a direct to video release

That's the wrong attitude to have honestly

So pretty much you're saying NO MATTER how decent the movie might be.If Cullen's not in it you'll avoid it. So you're pretty much setting yourself up to NOT give this movie a chance :rolleyes: 

Glad you're so open-minded

3. Crimson87

Crimson87 Senior Member

SO to sum up these posts so far.....

Cullen and Welker: Must Have. = 7

Cullen and Welker: Want Them, But Can Live Without. = 24

Cullen and Welker: No. = 2

Cullen and Welker: No, and STFU Fanboys Your Opinion Is Worthless. = 2

Interesting distribution..... I'd say Don is right for a change.

4. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I don't see what the hesitation is. It's not like hearing their voices is going to dredge up memories of "The Girl Who Loved Powerglide" or other crappy episodes. If anything, it will dredge up the "MTMTE" three-parter, or the movie, or other 'good' aspects of the original series. But realistically, their voices probably won't have a huge impact for either the positive or the negative.

Now, I'm not saying they should just be given the roles outright, but they should certainly be able to audition for them. I honestly think they'd do a good job, but if someone does better, well, may the best men win.

5. Steeljaw

Steeljaw Owner of TF Rebellion.com

Everyone keeps saying that Big names have to be used becuase no one knows who cullen and welker are. To all the kids who remember the toon, they usually remember 4-5 charactors. Every casual fan I've talked to ALWAYS mentions Optimus, Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, and sometimes Grimlock.
    Now they might not know the names of the voice actors who plyed them, BUT it would make an interesting marketing scheme, to actually promote it that way.

Actually advertise it as the original Megatron and Optimus, let the people viewing the trailer hear those two voices, and I'll bet you the viewers who knew the show will remember.

Nostalgia may not be the most conventional route, but It certainly would be a more unique route then just casting a big name and hoping they can do the job.
    Very few actors can actually voice act. In voice acting you're turning yourself into a charactor. Most Celebrities don't do that which is why I hate when big names are cast. The most interesting roles, are usually the minor charactors who are played by actual voice actors.

6. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

If they don't cast Cullen/Welker, this is how I think its gonna be:
    They cast stars to do the voice overs. The production is HUGE!!! sets everywhere... first units in the U.S, second units filming all over the world, Vfx houses working day and night, the entire cirucs of filmmaking.
    Opening day comes and what you get ? another crappy "Thunderbirds" movie. Bay ruined Transformers exactly like Jonathan Frakes ruined the classic tv show "Thunderbirds". What is next ? After less then one month on the big screen, straight to DVD and all of us bitchin all over the place, how bad that movie was. I don't know...
    I would like to stand corrected...

7. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

One of these days I'll write down my complete feelings about this topic, but for now -

Another vote for Cullen/Welker. Those men are responsible for INVENTING those characters in the first place. No matter who comes after them, no one can take away that they repersent the "essance" of these characters and why they became so beloved in the first place. They deserve nothing less than first crack at this movie.

On the subjest of Chalk/Kaye, these men have proven themselves to be worthy successors to a franchise legacy. I would be almost as happy to see them doing the movie. After ten long years these men have made the characters their own.

Whatever happens, we need voice actors for the movie that will embody the spirit of what makes Op and Megs the great characters they are. If that proves to be someone new, so be it. But when you have the actors who created these pop culture icons still at your disposal the people making this movie would be fools not to give them a fighting chance at the parts.

So thanks to Don Murphy for caring enough to give it his best for a fighting change.

One final food for thought - whoever does the voices in the movie, will not necessarily be the same actors who get to voice the new cartoon that will be based on the movie. So we may get Cullen/Welker or Chalk/Kaye invovled in this new TF reboot universe even if they don't make it into the movie.

8. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This debate reminds me of some articles about why Pixar movies, so far, are all hits, while dreamworks are hit and miss. I wish Dreamworks would learn from this.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/07/20/MO199528.DTL

In which case I would want Cullen as OPs, but find good VA's for the rest.

9. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    That they have, but I don't think its a good idea to have Chalk/Kaye voicing Prime and Megs in the movie. They would create too close of a tie to the current shows and hinder the movies ability to stand fully on its own.

Quoted for Truth!
    If nothing else I hope all the fan boy (and girl) bitching will, if nothing more, get them the opportunity to try out for the roles.

The vibe I get from this movie is that there is going to be a lot of human main characters in the movie That is where the big name stars really need to be and not necessarily voicing the robots. Having Prime voiced by Cullen is really the only thing I truly want in the movie (but its not the end of my world if it doesn't happen either). To me it adds just enough nostalgia to bring in the current fan base as well as the "hey I remember that voice" crowd. Other than that I just want a good story about giant transforming robots on Earth.

10. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I didn't care about it before, but after reading seven pages of this out of boredom, I am now fanatically in favour of Peter Cullen reprising his role as Optimus Prime.

Welker I could take or leave. His Megatron was never a very distinct voice.

11. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Brilliant icon.

Cullen and Welker are both household familiars, although the number of people who know who Eeyore was played by, for example, isn't necessarily high. I think they'd both bring gravitas to the roles. They're also recognisable by even the most casual older fans, some of whom now have kids of their own they'd like to introduce to something they enjoyed.

Attach stars? Sure, there are going to be humans in this. Get the visibility stars offer, rather than just voice work -- something many of them aren't trained for or lack experience with.

12. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

I'd like it be Cullen and Welker. If they don't do it, and as long as a couple other guys do a good job, then there's no skin off my teeth.

Which I'd prefer.

'Cuz it sorta' hurts.

Have fun, gang!!!

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'd still prefer Bruce Willis as Prime.

14. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

These must be the same Dreamworks execs that have their company in the crapper. I really would like to see a movie done right, but the more and more I hear about the way things are going, I think the franchise might be better off without one. We don't need another dark era like after 1987.

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X "Soiled" Himself

News Credits:
    Yeah, but having a movie based on a toyline and a show from the 1980s most definitely ISN'T... :rolleyes: 

As for my own personal opinion, lump me in with the "Gotta have Cullen, more iffy on Welker" folks.

16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    ditto

Cullen is THE definitive Optimus

accept no substitues >:}

:p 

but seriously. I cant think of anyone else i'd rather have playing Prime. And its been brought up already, having Cullen as Prime wouldnt be a "OMG his voice ties the movie to the 84 show, the movie is now bust" like the execs try to make it sound. Its just a fantastic "homage" that would draw in and appease most the "hardcore" fans. The main audience who even see's the movie would probably never be able to tell the difference.

And one thing i dont understand about all you guys. If Murphy is has to pull so hard just to get Cullen/Welker even *considered* for the roles, what makes you think Chalk/Kaye would have a better chance? i doubt they would ever be considered for the roles.

17. DESTRO

DESTRO Cobra Arms Dealer Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To me Transformers is G1. In my mind Cullen made Optimus Prime who he is today. The Voice is done so perfect that everybody who has tried to do Prime since then has fallen way short. Beast Wars was great show dont get me wrong, but the emotion and character depth that Cullen gave Optimus is what made him feel like a true Leader. I dont see any reason to replace a voice that anybody who has watched G1 WILL remember and grab attention.

Its not just a fan wank, he is a Professional Voice Actor. Its not like he has been sitting around for 20+ years doing nothing. Give the guy some credit!

18. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

Wow, is there the slightest chance that there would be thousands of other qualified voice talent out there to fill these roles. To say that you will boycott this movie if Cullen is not OP is ridiculous. Judge it on its own merit, not on your conception of what the movie should be like. It reminds me of all the hype behind Star Wars EP1. It was Ok, but it could have never lived up to all the expectations. Transformers was the same way, If you think that it will the blockbuster of the century, break records and win awards, you will be disappointed!!! My opinion is that unless they can do it right, they should not do it. For example, in the early 90s there was some hype about a Fantastic four movie. It filmed some, but never got off the ground because there was little interest and little money. Then superhero movies came out, money and interest were up and the movie was then made. It this is the same case with this movie then will we end up with a cheap movie that will kill the franchise. Is the general public ready for this kind of movie? If so then make it good, good actors, good writers, etc., if not then drop it. I am perfectly fine going on with the line as it is with the media that is available.

19. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I appreciate Mr. Murphy keeping us updated.

I really want to hear Cullen and Welker performing the voices. For me, it'll be the difference between really anticipating the movie, and looking forward to it with some disappointment as well.

They need to update the look and ideas, I agree. But for it to be fresh and new and yet still be meaningful to me, the nostalgia buttons need to be pressed as well. The two lead voice actors are the easiest and most effective way to do that.

20. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Quoted for truth

Honestly the fandom's going to ruin the movie BEFORE it's even released

Particularly on DM.net people are hyping up that movie WAY TOO MUCH

Nothing can live up to that kind of hype.

It's like with BotCon '05,people hyped it up too much.Just go to enjoy a decent movie.If you do that then it's money well spent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.