Murphy: Cullen/Welker For The Movie Is Far From A Done Deal

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Super_Megatron, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    omg lol

jason alexander as bumblebee.

2. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    IF there's a movie, any Transformers movie, in the near future, I'll go see it. I am after all, a Transformers fan. If I like it, I may see it again and buy the DVD and buy all the Transformers as a result of it. If I hate the movie, I may still do the same thing. I like the good Mr. Cullen, and really hope he's the voice for Optimus Prime. If he's not, I'll still see the film. Good or bad, I want to see a new Transformers the Movie.

3. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I really want Cullen, but its hardly the end of the world if its not him...

4. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I'd love Cullen. Welker is a big myeh. Lot more evil sounding guys out there. But Cullen would be hard to replace.

Dreamworks wants the "main roles" to go to big name actors. It's always that way. A George Clooney/Vin Diesel match-up is going to get the movie on "Entertainment Tonight" and "E!" as opposed to Peter Cullen and Frank Welker taking the lead role. However, it would allow them to spend some money to get a big named actor for the human role(s).

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    From "Master Fwiffo Watches G1":

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gotta agree on the whole "dead horse" issue this has become, and the desire to get that film finished and out, so we can all move on from "OMG ITS RILLY GONNA SUCK!!" to "DAM THAT SUCKED WORSE THAN SUCK!"

better yet, we get a few instances of "It was pretty OK." peppered in there. :) 

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cullen and Welker should be Prime and Megs. No question.

8. Emperor Megatron

Emperor Megatron Something goes here

It most likely has to do with the fact that the VA's don't interact with each other in the dubbing process. I think it's obvious that Chalk is much better when he's NOT dubbing a show, but rather interacting with the other VA's in the recording studio. The VA Director probably makes a difference too.

Cullen and Welker are great as Prime and Megs. I think a lot of fans would like them to be in the movie, but if they have to go the route of getting big name actors so be it. Just as long as they're not stiffs and the movie is good.

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At least there's an effort to get Cullen and Welker. Nice to know our collective bitching and moaning is being heard.

10. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Tempe, AZ
    knowing our luck we will get George Clooney and Gilbert Gottfried, and to be honest I don't know who would be worse.

11. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

"...Old things..", questions about the relevance of Welker/Cullen...

It's slowly dawning on me that this movie isn't in any way attempting to target a demographic I always assumed was of considerable value.
    I guess the G1 references deceived me. This movie is definitely in search of a 'new' Audience, just with enough history to calm the 'Old guard' fans and ‘Opinion Setters’ from being too cynical.
    80's kids who packed up their toys a couple of decades ago, are probably going to find the only memories they have of Transformers to be deemed irrelevant or too confusing for this movie.

Clearly I'm not saying the 'Grown up G1' Generation is the only important demographic worth considering, or nothing should change or evolve in TF mythos. I cannot ignore the contributions of subsequent generations, and their importance in the success of this film. But there is a huge market to be tapped out there, full of people who only know the names: "Optimus prime", "Megatron", and "That tape-deck guy", who will never know who Welker and Cullen are, but certainly know what Optimus & Megatron sound like. It seems to me that each minor concession made is something that would further alienate this potential market.

Lets hope the producers fully consider the effects of minor compromises

12. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

the idea of not wanting to link this movie to "old things" is ******ed. They sought out the TF license because it WAS an "old thing" that people already loved. That's why Sony made Spider-man instead of "Bug Guy". That's why Fox did the "X-Men" instead of "Random People in Black". That "old stuff" is what pulls people into theatres. It's what sets the movie apart from the nameless scifi movies that come and go. It's what makes people talk about your movie two years before it's ever in threaters. Distancing your movie from "old stuff" after spending millions for the rights is just bass-ackwards of common sense.

13. Junior

Junior Wise Beyond My Years TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I do see some importance to link this movie to something familiar. If this movie is an idea to link back to the original Transformers, then why not hear a couple of familar voices if you are watching this movie in the US, Canada, and other country where the TV series was not translated into the home country's language.

Lets face it, many of us have different backgrounds with Transformers, including whether we watched the G1 show or not, read the Marvel comics, grew up with a later series, or even just played with the toys. So we are all going to have varying opinions on whether the movie NEEDS to have Cullen & Welker.

I submit, IMO :thumb  , that whenever possible Prime, Megatron, and certain other recognizable characters should have characteristics of design, voice, and other elements that help link this movie to old fans (not necessarily the collecting fans) and use many new elements to bring the story of Transformers into today's world. Obviously, I understand we can't have every characteristic for each character. That being said, a few nods to the fans who grew up with G1 (or G2 Cosmc Cube) would be welcomed by many of the people I have spoken with.

14. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Personally I wouldn't mind Kaye and Chalk at all, personally I think they have given alot more to the names sakes of Optimus and Megatron than the originals.

I personally Like Chalks optimus, and Kaye's Megatron. Likewise I wouldn't mind seeing new voices. What I don't want to see is someone chosen based on putting a big name in on the poster. I would rather a nobody who is perfect than a somebody who sucks at the job.

Oh please no, for the love of Primus and all that is good, I never want to ever ever see that G2 cosmic cube again. I would rather have a fricked episode of the show where the only characters that talk are Warpath and Wheelie than ever be subjected to the G2 cosmic cube again.

"Wheelie and Warpath: A Two Minibot show"

15. Dio

Dio Scrapper

I think the reason Don Murphy thinks the fan community "agrees" on Cullen/Welker is because it's the only item I've seen where one side is rabidly beating the dead horse of "WE MUST HAVE CULLEN/WELKER ZOMG!!!1"(as emoted several posts above), while the other side is more indifferent, with a general feeling of "yeah, it'd be cool, but it's not gonna make or break the movie for us."

At this point I want new voices just to spite the horse-beaters though... you guys need to take a chill pill because it's really annoying. Every thread where we see any tidbit of information about the movie eventually degenerates to a bunch of comments that pretty much amount to individuals DEMANDING that the movie cater to their very specific ideas of how it should be.

Does it surprise you that Murphy, after surfing the various forums, starting up one of his own, and listening to fan requests, has come up with ONE singular item he's considered pulling for on our behalf? And at best, it's 50/50 among us just because no one is rabidly against it.

16. Mexi-Con

Mexi-Con ...Stop Me When I'm Lying

Ebay:
    I just want to see a REALLY Good Transformers Movie. PERIOD! Cullen/Welker or not. Hell, I want to see some BRAND NEW REALLY GOOD TF shows for a change!

17. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I can't believe you forgot Bodycount. ;) 

18. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I understand them wanting to use big stars for VA's as it will attract non-TF fans. From my understanding though.. this movie will focus some what on the humans and how they intereact with this battle on earth. These roles would be ideal for these big name stars.

19. Dio

Dio Scrapper

[​IMG]

20. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My thoughts exactly. I don't mind if Megatron has a different voice, as long as it fits, but Prime has got to be Peter Cullen. Even if it's not, I will still love this movie, but I really want THE Optimus Prime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.