Murphy: Cullen/Welker For The Movie Is Far From A Done Deal

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Super_Megatron, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

As long as the voices fit, and the parts are well acted, it'll be fine.

Chalk would kill the movie for me. If you're not gonna get Cullen, then don't get somebody trying to sound like Cullen. At least Kaye can do a good Megatron, without trying to ape the original.

2. Megaman

Megaman Mega

I'll drink to that!

3. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    Cullen, although good, isn't that great of a voice actor. He doesn't always sound super natural. I could well live without that guy in the movie.

4. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    Btw, outside of us Transfreaks, NOBODY knows who the hell Cullen is. So it wouldn't be a big loss.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Personally, I would really like to see Cullen and Welker reprise their roles for the movie, but I don't need it.

While it's not really a good idea to be completely 'retro' with a film based on an old property (why bother seeing the film then?), I also don't understand the mentality (often found in producers) that says "It's a new movie based on an old property, so EVERYTHING has to be new about it, and any ties to the past other than the name are negative.", as that often defeats the purpose of using a property from the past more than following it too closely.

So basically, DM was saying "We might not use Cullen and Welker, so don't be too put out if we don't." right? Big deal.

6. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

The interesting thing is, Dreamworks apparently doesn't want this linked to old stuff, which, based on your argument, would imply that they don't care what the fans want.

Does anyone else sense a box office tank coming? Everyone's favorite brand is going to labeled as yet another Michael Bay action flop.

7. ProfessorSmooth

ProfessorSmooth Free at last!

Ebay:
    I'm just trying to imagine how Peter Cullen must feel right now. "Hmmm, the only recognizable voice work I've done in the past two decades has been Eeyore and the Cartoon Network Trailer Guy. Now, it's possible that I might wind starring up in a 100 million dollar live action summer blockbuster. I sure am glad I took that weird robot show job 22 years ago."

8. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    Sorry dude, but I'm a fan and I don't care if Cullen is there or not. Actually, I think it would be better with somebody else with more talent. So it's really not "what the fans want" but more "what some fans want".

9. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Ancient and knackered

It's getting to the point where I just want this movie done, out, and released, simply because a lot of the brain-frothing that's going on at the mo doesn't so much flog that dead horse as piledrive it straight into the ground.

Next!

10. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol

here, here. count me in on the get it over with just so i can get past whiny fanboy bandwagon.

i was into the movie news awhile back, but now im like aw man just get it over with XD

...oh wait. but then we'll have the whiny fanboy arguing for/against the movie XD we're screwed regardless dude.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Cullen FTW.

It would be *so* awesome I could crap my pants right now.

But if not, meh, not so bad. I just appreciate the fact that Don is flying the flag for us.

12. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The main reason that many want Cullen/Welker is because it's what they grew up with, hearing those voices on their Saturday mornings, however, the kids of today are much more familiar with Chalk/Kaye as Prime/Megatron. In saying that, Chalk/Kaye have been doing Prime/Primal and Megatron for much longer than Cullen/Welker ever did, but they are often discredited because of the recent cartoons dubbing (horrible on both Energon and Armada, significantly better in the later episodes of Cybertron i assure you).

Older fans want what they had

Movie company are probably wanting famous actors to help bring in more viewers, people who'll go see any movie if *insert star here* is in it. That, and as much as this is drawing off of G1, it's not a direct G1 movie, thus Cullen/Welker aren't, and never were 'must haves'. Dreamworks/Michael Bay are more interested whats best for the movie, not the G1 fans. Anyone who thinks it's wise to not see the movie because "it's not Cullen/Welker" or it's "not G1" is kidding themselves, G1 ISN'T THE ONLY TRANSFORMER TOYLINE. Just because you're not happy with the decision doesn't mean you need to bash the movie, and 90% of you will probably end up seeing the movie anyway.

and well, great as Welker was....putting G1 Megatrons voice onto a modern day tank ISN'T going to sound that great, to be honest, nor would Kayes. If Welker was to stay, i'd rather see him use the voice he did for Galvatron, or even Leonard Nimoy take the hold of Megatron, he proved to be a decent VA for Movie Galvatron. And, while i agree that having Cullen for Prime would be nice, i won't be suprised when i hear they're officially NOT part of the movie. A little sad maybe, but it'd be well expected. Cullen has the voice for a memorable Prime, but most likely not one to pull in people who wouldn't usually go see something TF related.

13. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So why is it ultimately Michael Bay's decision? I thought it was ultimately Steven Spielberg's decision, since he is the exec producer.

14. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Couldn't have said it better.

Roller...no idea! Big budget movies are hectic and all kinds of crap has to go down, it's really complicated so who the hell knows.

What? Why is Welker's Megatron voice only suitable if the character is turning into a gun? It's one of the greatest villain voices I've ever heard, and probably my absolute favorite of all time. I know it's just your opinion, but the logic seems wobbly to me. No matter what the robot is turning into, that voice is perfectly suited for the character, representing full force the evil, maniacal tyrant he is.

15. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Tempe, AZ
    I have this nasty feeling that we are going to get a big name Star VA Suckfest

16. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah me too Shin :( 

17. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i hope adam sandler does prime and chris rock does meggy.

18. McBradders

Al Pacino is... OPTIMUS PRIME

John Travolta is... MEGATRON!

Only in theatres.

19. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    joe pesci as starscream.

ha-ha!

20. McBradders