Mugenbine

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Razerwire, Feb 18, 2007.

1. einhazard

einhazard Sentient Tapedeck

News Credits:
    Yeah there was a bit of overlap with that line. Dark Flame Dragon is Speed Eagle combined with Powerful Tyranno with some extra dragon-y bits. Heavy Mammoth is a lot of parts from Mugen Builder without the shipping container for the body. I think Build Gattai is overall a lot of fun, but you can see why it's the last of its type to exist before they went to the Candy Toys.

That said, at least Chase Dober you get the extra parts to make the cop and the vehicle modes are fairly different.

Speaking of:
    upload_2020-5-8_10-17-33.png

If anyone has pics of what these combos are, I'd be interested. XD

2. DrakkenZero

DrakkenZero Might Gaine... might not.

Ebay:
    As previously threatened, I am working on a wiki for Mugenbine to provide a definitive visual guide.

Mugenpedia

I know it's hella ambitious, but my goal is to have something similar to what Transformerland and other sites do for figures, cataloging all the stuff that came with them, boxes, parts, etc. I'm scouring the web for good pictures of the figures, their boxes, "official" combined modes, etc. Do you guys mind me using some of the pictures you've posted in this thread as reference as well? Also, anybody up for photographing individual pieces?

• Like Like x 1
  3. einhazard

News Credits:
    Feel free to use my pics. I can take some of the figures, but I don't have a ton of boxes and instructions.

I don't know much about putting together wiki pages. I can give that a shot, otherwise if it's just easier for me to post pics, PM me an email or something and I can start shooting some over.

4. einhazard

News Credits:
    Took some pics - does this work for the Wiki?
    ( if we want the big files, we can use those too)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    upload_2020-5-12_11-20-27.png
    upload_2020-5-12_11-20-52.png
    upload_2020-5-12_11-21-20.png
    upload_2020-5-12_11-21-40.png

I don't really have a 'blank white workspace" but I don't think this interferes too much and the lighting in my mecha room seems to work okay. I know nothing about photography. XD I figured it'd be good to have pics of both modes, the pieces in the set, and the headscuplt of the Mugenroid showing the letter.

5. DrakkenZero

Ebay:
    Literally anything is better than what exists currently, which is... basically nothing. Your pictures will help a lot. I also got permission from Roanstalker, who posted a bunch of very good pictures back in the late 2000s, to use his pictures as reference as well.

I'm still trying to work out wiki formatting, it's not something I have a lot of experience with, but the goal is basically this:

Each figure will have a page that will list the series, the form types, and any official combinations. That page will also include variants of that figure that do not deviate significantly (Launcher Saurus -> Lead Saurus) and information about them. It will also have a manifest of all the individual Bine Parts that make up the figure.

Each piece of component information - animal and vehicle types, bine parts, combinations, etc - will also have its own page linking back to all the pages that use the same commonality. So... a quick lookup guide to all Turtles, or all Racecars, or all lion legs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. einhazard

News Credits:
    That's kinda what I imagined for it, too. The linking for the parts is a nice step above what I had in mind, so that's cool.
    I'm also thinking we can keep it kinda light-hearted on pics and articles ala the TFWiki, because I know people who know nothing about TF but like reading the wiki for the humor.

Anyways, got pics of A through F already. No combined modes, but I actually have a book (that came free for some reason w/my Zord Elephant) that has most of the combos, so I can get those sooner or later.

7. DrakkenZero

Ebay:
    Sweet, hit me up at [email protected] - I'm planning on devoting a few hours to working on this on thursday (working today and tomorrow)

8. DrakkenZero

Ebay:
    Also, unrelated to anything else, I came up with my own "Super Robot" mode for Chase Dober/Tri Wolf that I think it a hell of a lot better than the one that was in that auction.

I present the "There Are Two Wolves (Inside You) Combiner"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. DrakkenZero

Ebay:
    Ok, still haven't figured out how to get infoboxes to work, but I've got a rough idea laid out here:
    Air Leon - Mugenpedia

• Like Like x 1
  10. einhazard

News Credits:
    I dig it! Is there like a template we can create new pages with, or do you have to kinda manually set stuff up? (Otherewise I suppose we just copy-paste the Air Leon page and change it up)

Also I like the Tri Wolf/Chase Dober combo. Build Gattai wasn't the most amazing set, but it was a lot more customizable since most of the parts were more lego-y. I feel like they tried to carry that through to Heroes and it just didn't work, but that's more the fault of the dumb torso/card thing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DrakkenZero

Ebay:
    No template, not yet anyway. I'm still not sure how to actually... do templates and stuff. Air Leon was a test as much as a style guide, I took your comments about keeping things tongue-in-cheek like TFWiki does to heart and gave funny captions to the pictures as well.

As far as... story goes... I've seen several mentions of their being some stuff on the boxes, as well as a few pack-in comics that flesh out the Mugenbine world a little more. I've been searching through the ~200 pages of posts here but haven't seen anything translated to English anywhere. While it's clearly a secondary goal to the actual physical documentation, if anybody has any of that I'd appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. einhazard

News Credits:
    Hmm... lemme see if I can find the book because I think it did have a little comic in it.

FOUND IT..... now to see if I can get my scanner working.
    upload_2020-5-13_10-56-11.png

upload_2020-5-13_10-56-53.png

The rest of it is pics of A-J, combined modes, Xenobine, and Zord Elephant.

::EDIT:: Man it's a bummer you can't upload more than 1 file at a time. Working on making the Build Giraffet page.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  13. einhazard

News Credits:
  14. DrakkenZero

Ebay:
    Still plugging away on the wiki, set up to take some nice high-res pictures of the figures I have. Got the Dig Kong and Save Gunman that I ordered a... while ago... and am still waiting on the Evo Rhinoce and (incomplete) Fang Tiger to arrive.

Also, I'm curious, hoping someone can clarify - I know there are two different types of peg connectors, the older ones that have a larger end to them and rely on a spring-like latching mechanism inside the holes (like most Power Ranger connectors, but smaller), and the ones that are just round pegs relying on friction (like the 5mm post system for Transformers weapons). So some questions:

• Are there names for the different types of pegs, fanon or otherwise?
    • What point did the switch-over happen?
    • Were there any hybrid pieces, ones that used both types of ports?
    • Mugen Heroes aren't listed in Wikipedia at all, so there's even less info on them... but it looks like they still use the original Gattai-era pegs, right?

15. DigitalBrave3

DigitalBrave3 Furry Fluff

I made a checklist of every Machine Robo toy, including Mugenbine and Mugen Heroes. Hopefully, this helps. If anybody finds any errors, please let me know.
    List of Machine Robo Toys

Neither type of peg has a name.
    The switch-over happened at the first version of the Mugen Pharoah candy toy set.
    Mugen Heroes were the only ones with hybrid pieces that could bridge the two peg versions.

• Like Like x 2
  16. DrakkenZero

Ebay:
    That list is incredible, going to help me fill in a lot of the blank spots, especially the dates. You win two internets.

It does raise new and different questions though, like the Fire Dig Kong and Marine Evo Rhinoce Marine, because I spent a fair bit of time searching for info on repaints and alter forms for the wiki and never even heard of those. I'm guessing they're just... super rare... and have nothing written down about them.

17. DigitalBrave3

I remember finding them on an old Mugenbine checklist whose source was the (now long gone) official website, which supposedly had a list of all the products and release dates at one point. Not even the Machine Robo Wedge book has them listed, though. I do have a scanned copy of the book I can provide for images of some of the rare items. That book helped confirm the existence of tons of things I previously couldn't find any evidence of.

EDIT: I found that old source! Machine Robo Mugenbine
    Edit2: The Mugenbine designs were created by Bandai's PLEX design firm, as well as pretty much every Sentai mecha/Power Rangers Zord ever. Their design similarities are not coincidences, as they were designed by the same people.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  18. DrakkenZero

Ebay:
    And my Dig Kong roid broke, the arm post sheered off. Anybody sell... broken bits and pieces of Mugenbine stuff that I can use to try and repair it? I have a good supply of Transformer and Sentai bits for repairs but nada from these yet

Attached Files:

19. DigitalBrave3

I'm really sorry that happened... Unfortunately, I do not know anyone who sells spare Mugenbine parts. Shoulder breakages like that appear to be extremely common on the Mugenroids.

20. einhazard

News Credits:
    Man that sucks. >< When I was taking pictures on friday, part of the ring on the end of my Spit Cobra's gun just like... disintegrated, and that sucks a lot less than losing a whole limb, so I feel ya. I know Jspook sells parts, but I messaged him and he said he's taking a break until normal air shipping returns in Japan (I had just messaged him to see if he was doing okay since he pulled his stuff. He's fine, but bummed).

Anyway, I have pics of A-Z all done, need to upload them and then start figuring out how pages work.

@DigitalBrave3 -Your list is BONKERS. Very complete! Couple questions:
    Is "Furyuukibines" the thunder dragon that goes with Guardian? And did I skip over Moebine on there or did you leave that one off for a specific reason?

Also, whenever shipping resumes, maybe I'll try Machine Robo Duel... though they look so MEDIOCRE.