Mugenbine

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Razerwire, Feb 18, 2007.

1. OmniKhaos

OmniKhaos New Old Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So, I managed to sell Arch Tiger and Impact Dile...
    Could I interest anyone in all of the remaining sets for $750 shipped in the USA? Go back a few posts to see the list.

I just want them gone at this point, but I need the money.
    I would post them in the For Sale section, but I don't have permission to make a new thread.

2. DigitalBrave3

DigitalBrave3 Collector Canine

Man... I wish I had that much money to spend. I'd take them all in a split-second.

3. DrakkenZero

DrakkenZero Might Gaine... might not.

Ebay:
    I'm incredibly new to these but picked one up online out of curiosity, and I really like it. Can somebody tell me if the candy toys are compatible with the main line of robot bits or are they their own separate scale?

4. DigitalBrave3

DigitalBrave3 Collector Canine

All of the Candy Toy sets before Mugen Pharoah are compatible with the main line, but starting with Mugen Pharoah, they use smaller pegs and are not compatible.

5. einhazard

einhazard Sentient Tapedeck

News Credits:
    Ironically, Yamato (the last candy toy set), is compatible with the Mugen Heroes line. Don't get Mugen Heroes though. They're not great.

That said, all the candy toy stuff is fun and all the original, pre-candy toy stuff is good. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I'm glad I tried both.

6. OmniKhaos

OmniKhaos New Old Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have most of the Mugen Heroes sets, you can have them for the cost of shipping

7. DrakkenZero

Ebay:
    So what I bought is "Air Leon", the which I'm guessing it's like the most basic starter thing. I also had (I'm like 90% sure) a knock-off thing from Big Lots but that was a decade ago and I have no idea where it went.

I'm looking at a couple things on eBay and if you could give me an opinion if they're good ideas or not, I'd appreciate it

This one looks like it's got a set mixed in with the ruined remains of GaoGaiGar, but I'm not sure if it's a real one or a knock-off.
    Robot Toy Plastic Bandai Action Figure Lot Loose PR2- #3 | eBay

This is just one piece but it looks like it could be... legs? And it kinda matches what I already have
    Machinerobo Machine Robo Mugenbine Toy Parts | eBay

• Like Like x 1
  8. einhazard

News Credits:
    First one looks like a KO of one of the early candy toy sets. I don't remember any of those being in purple (at least mine aren't). Tough to say if it would work with the one you have.

The second one is the legs of Zord Elephant. It's the Z in the same set as Air Leon (which is... surprise! The A!) I've seen complete ones go for a fair amount, but if you're patient, you'll find most everything on ebay or mandarake for decent price.

If you want a good checklist, I used the wikipedia article as a checklist when I was putting my collection together and it was SUPER helpful. It's got everything except the last few Mugen Saga sets (which we mostly candy toy repaints aside from Yamato), and the Mugen Heroes sets (which... I mean, get 'em if you wanna be completionist, but otherwise don't waste your time and money).

There's a seller on Ebay named Jspook who has all kinda of neat stuff usually. With all the COVID delays, doesn't seem like anything is shipping out, but keep an eye on him for some good stuff.

Otherwise I think omnikhaos in this thread is trying to offload his collection, so he's probably a good person to hit up, too

9. DrakkenZero

Ebay:
    I think I really just need a second one so that I can get a feel for how the whole mix-and-match combination mechanic works. I have a ton of Zordbuilder stuff so I am appreciative of the universal peg system as a concept, but I'm also also a little dubious.

Also, I saw the offer from @OmniKhaos but I was mildly spooked by the pricepoint in their earlier post and also the lack of posting history, but if they're somebody you guys know/recommend (just on a new account) I'll hit them up and see what's what.

10. einhazard

News Credits:
    As someone who bought some of the zordbuilder stuff, Mugenbine's a lot better. This guy has a lot of different examples of combinations across all the sets (his site is in Japanese, but it's super easy to navigate regardless). Some of his stuff uses multiples of the same sets, but he's got examples pretty much across all the sub-lines.

The original Gattai/Base/Engine/Build Gattai sets are chunkier, and up until Engine they all use those 'mugenroid' figures that usually fold into boxes that are the core of the animal and vehicle modes. They're all pretty simple, but in the way that normal building toys are simple and can lead to lots of neat stuff. That said, like with any building toy, you're going to get versatility out of the sets that directly correlates to the number of sets you own.

The candy toy stuff (especially starting with Arthur and Pharaoh) are more like... gunpla legos, I guess? You punch 'em out of a sprue and put stickers on em. Sometimes, you might get a set with bad decals, which kinda sucks, but overall it's fine because they still look good without them. They're probably more versatile, but they're also candy toys, so there's not much to the individual pieces, if that matters to you.

As for Omnikhaos, he's good people. I got my Launcher Saurus from him. He just deleted his acct a while back, hence the low post count. He helped me learn a lot about mugenbine when I started, as well as helped me find some of the more obscure stuff. The hardest things for me to find were the Evolbine sets and the one Moebine set, but if you keep your eyes peeled, they'll show up.

11. DrakkenZero

Ebay:
    I found the ebay seller you were talking about, jsp00k, and it's absolutely killing me because I'm, like, havering over whether I should spend $35 for the Lead Saurus that's up now or $65 for the Chase Dobber / Tri Wolf combo sale, and then I look at jsp00k's stuff and it looks like I missed his massive clearance sale by a couple of weeks.

I'm sorry for bugging you all like this... I don't want to come off like I'm obsessive, I'm just really suffering because of this lockdown, I'm a massive scavenger and normally haunt all the thrift stores/flea markets in the area looking for rare old junk that I can collect and repair. I've pieced together a bunch of old Diaclone things (Gats Blocker, Dia Battles) and have a amassed collection of G1 weapons and body parts that I've been repatriating to collectors in trades for decades. I'm not super social, I don't really miss the humans, but I do very much miss the thrill of seeing a box full of random bits and pieces and discovering a leg from a diecast Albegas or a Xabungle Blue Gale. I turned to eBay to try and scratch my itch, see if I could find some old Brave stuff or something from the Tomica Drive Head stuff, and then I saw Air Leon and was enthralled... and now I'm here.

12. einhazard

News Credits:
    His stuff is always priced like that. Give it some time. The main thing right now is that since JP mail isn't shipping to the US, if you do order anything, you're going to be waiting for an undetermined amount of time (I ordered something from him RIGHT BEFORE that hit and it's been sitting at a post office in Japan for about a month now). He won't go anywhere. He doesn't put up parts lots SUPER often, but he has in the past and I'm sure he will again.

The Lead Saurus and Chase Dober/Tri Wolf lot are priced pretty fairly, IMO. I'd have to check my sets to see if the latter is actually both of the sets complete, but if you don't care about that and just want parts, it's pretty solid. Lead Saurus is a 'special' color of Launcher Saurus, so he'll go for a little more usually anyhow.

And it's not bugging at all! The lockdown sucks for everyone, and most of us here never get to talk about Mugenbine. XD I feel ya tho - With the lockdown, I can't get a lot of the stuff I'd normally collect unless I go with DHL, and hahahaha no.

Another trick when looking for Mugenbine stuff: search 'mugenbain' and 'bandai mugen'. This works especially well on Mandarake (as well as setting up alerts there - I dunno if I would have every gotten a 2nd Moebine set or my last Evolbine set without those), though unless you wanna pay bananas DHL shipping prices, Mandarake's probably off the table.

If you wanted to try out the candy toy stuff, this guy has the original Mugen Arthur set up for sale. IMO $40's a tiny bit much for that set as you might be able to find the Saga version (with Saga Pharoh) for like $60, but it's a solid candy toy set and gives you an idea of what you're getting into compared to the old lines. Arthur's a bit simpler than what came after, but he's fun, his individual robots are solid, and he has a good lookin' combined mode.

13. einhazard

News Credits:
    Whoa, Jspook pulled all his stuff off Ebay. O_O

I hope he comes back once normal shipping resumes!

14. OmniKhaos

OmniKhaos New Old Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, I saw that the other day. There are a LOT of Japan eBay sellers that now have nothing listed, at least until all the shipping methods are back up and running.

I have 3 packages from Mandarake that were shipped out via Air SP, one from April 3rd and two from April 13th, none of them have moved, per the tracking...I don't hold any hopes to get them at all now.

15. einhazard

News Credits:
    I think they'll move out eventually because everywhere is going through it, but yeah, I've got 1 thing from JSpook and 1 thing from a different ebay seller sitting around.... DHL still works, but DHL ain't cheap.

End of the day, I'll just wait until it's close to the end of the paypal refund window, and if stuff isn't moving by then, refunds it is. I feel bad for Jspook though. I wonder how much stuff he moved before any of us realized it wasn't getting out of Japan.

16. DrakkenZero

Ebay:
    In the meantime, I have acquired Lead Saurus and the legs/head of Zord Elephant.

I'm still kicking myself for chucking the ones of these I got years ago - is there any sort of visual guide, pictures of all the different things out there, that I could look through to see if I can find what it was I had so I know how mad to be at myself? I've looked all over and it's a little frustrating the lack of information (in English, at least) about these.

17. einhazard

News Credits:
    No real pic guide. The wikipedia page really helps, since it's got stuff in japanese, so you can usually google that and find pics easy enough. I keep saying I'm gonna make an instruction archive, but that's slow going. I should just take pics of my whole collection since at this point I have everything except most of the recolors.

If you're wondering about anything specific, HMU.

18. DrakkenZero

Ebay:
    I put in a bid on this but I noticed that its not just Fang Tiger, it's also got at least some of the Evo Rhinoce too. I'm curious if it looks to be complete-ish? I still am going for it as long as it stays inexpensive, even if it's incomplete, but I'd like to know (thus the desire for a visual guide).

I may start taking some pictures of my own collection, see if I can get a wiki together that tracks both compete sets and individual (and I'm suspicious oft-reused) pieces.

• Like Like x 1
  19. einhazard

News Credits:
    Man if someone else made a wiki, I'd contribute. XD

It looks like a complete Evo Rhino, but I'll check the one I have downstairs in a sec and update.

:EDIT: Yep. Rhino's complete. I wonder if the peg hole for the horn is broken though since he has a zoomed-in shot of it.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  20. DrakkenZero

Ebay:
    Got Chase Dober and Tri Wolf today. Didn't quite realize that the two are... essentially the same thing, just with a bunch of extra universal connector bits for Chase Dober to allow him to do the separate bot/wolf modes.

Weirdly, I think I actually like Tri Wolf better than Chase Dober.

• Like Like x 1