MTV Michael Bay Interview - DOTM Secrets Revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, looks like Michael Bay’s next film will be with that young guy from the Twilight films. Just read it now. So that means he’s definitely done after Transformers 3.

I bet Hasbro and DreamWorks are going to give Transformers a bit of a break now. There will certainly be more films, but I don’t think anything before 2015.

2. Krueger

News Credits:
    And anyone who thinks the writer's strike didn't have an adverse affect on ROTF doesn't know anything about films. It clearly played havoc with the film, in every respect. The writers literally had about three months to complete a shooting script. You can do a draft in that time, for sure, but no way can you do a shooting script. That's why Bay pretty much confirmed that there was no shooting script and that they were pretty much coming up with a story as they were editing the film. Disaster in the making.

3. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    I don't give a fuck if anyone else likes them. I would hope you don't give a fuck if I like them. Sure, it's fun to talk about them. But please don't ever present your opinion to me thinking I'm going to care if you hate it or love it, because I won't. Thats not the point of talking about the movie.

You like apples. Okay, so? I hate apples. Again, so? But, I'll talk about apples all day with you, as long as you don't ever think I care if you like apples. Let's just talk apples.

Wut.

4. Krueger

News Credits:
    Who's that aimed at?

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I really can't tell.

6. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    Scumbag Steve.

7. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    So wait, ROTF is a disaster then, yes?

Anyway, I'm going to keep saying it: Writers strike does not account for man-ass, pot brownies, or any other absolutely unnecessary scene.

8. Krueger

News Credits:
    Doesn’t the lack of any coherence in the plot account for anything, or is that all alright as long as the humour is more downplayed?

I've got to wonder what's seen as a bigger problem with ROTF: the plot and writing, or the humour. I fear it's the latter. So the plot can be completely needlessly confusing, but as long as there's no questionable comedy, it's alright? Funny that a lot of the critics never really mentioned the comedy and just went on to talk about what was really wrong with the film.

I’ve read a lot of the comments in this thread, and it seems that a lot of the fan’s biggest problems with ROTF actually stem from the comedy, and not the serious script issues. At the end of the day the comedy only takes up about three or four minutes of a two and a half hour film. The script issues are apparent throughout.

9. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    That's the big difference between a movie critic and a critical fan I suppose. The bad comedy is what instantly sticks in our heads.

Everything you said may be true, but my point remains the same. There were some very confusing, childish, WTF decisions made that can't be blamed on anything but poor judgment.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

We've seen films that could not be completed by the projected release date bump the release date. But even with all the problems of the writers strike the studios, directors, and production teams decided to stick with the summer release dates rather than bumping the release.

Kind of says something about Hollywood that they will release films they know has problems just because they want something to release on that date. It's like the release date and marketing are more important than the film that is being released.

11. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    I remember reading an interview (can't find it, sorry. I tried) in which Bay said that a bunch of his workers were in danger of losing their homes if they didn't keep the release date and enter production when they did. Says more about Bay than it does about Hollywood.

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Poor judgment = the result of a marathon week-long writing session in a hotel room.

Making blockbusters is an incredibly high-risk business.

13. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    The last movie? Damn, I was starting to like Optimus Prime's homicidal tendencies.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

From what we've heard about Bay he sounds like he's pretty loyal to the production team members who stick with him and we can figure the guy sure isn't hurting for money. Just sort of seems like the kind of guy who would float someone a loan until payday if it meant a crew member didn't lose their house and could keep working on the film.

In all fairness if we really broke it down to who is responsible for rushing the film out I'd put most of the blame on Paramount. I'd like to think if given a free option Bay would have spent more time on the film. I can fault the guy for me not being happy with his films but there is no way to fault him for the insanely massive amounts of time and effort he puts into his films.