Mtmte 54

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by rlmiddleton, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Formerfan

Formerfan Well-Known Member

"See, I told you he's nothing without his gun."

Said in reference to the bot whose most famous alt-mode IS a gun and who has been struggling with his newfound pacifism and lifelong history of violence.

One possibility is an anti-"Iron Giant" revelation from Megs next week where he re-embraces his violent nature and Roberts gets to throw a wink at his G1 toy.

"Fools! I AM a gun. I was BORN a gun."

2. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    But likely in reference to the fact he fought him a few hours ago when he wouldn't even punch back.

3. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone else think Overlord was lying when he taunted Chromedome?

4. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Well if Skids is calling himself scum and essentially hating what he's done in the past it could be a lack of motivation to keep going. That, or the differences in medical equipment could have played a part.

Thunderclash maybe, but I feel the rest of the crew knew ahead of time that the mutiny would result in Team Rodimus biting it in the end. Though I could also see the Protectobots entering the fray. Maybe they arrived back at the Lost Light, found out what happened and decided to side with Rodimus instead. Defensor vs the DJD and their army would be a fight I'd love to see.

Hard to say, he may have been exaggerating a little bit but this is Overlord we're talking about so he very well could've done exactly what he said he did. One way or another that bit of dialogue paints a very brutal mental image.

5. Driskull98

Driskull98 I'd Rather Be Watching Toku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    So so happy that super-powers-funtime was not the solution to the gang's problem. Thank you Roberts for not taking the stupid way out.

Skids
    is dead and, surprisingly, I really don't care.

I feel like he was a much better character before Dark Cybertron. Ever since "Season 2" or whatever, he hasn't done anything interesting beyond
    the extremely stupid Sunder story.

I mean, shit, it's kind of terrible that one of the original crew is gone, but considering how he's so much of a non-player this season, I really can't say it shocked me or made me feel anything.

Ravage's fakeout death
    made me much more nervous, I was worried that they'd actually go through with it.

Overall, this issue was good, but the big emotional moment fell flat for me. I'm excited for #55 still,
    especially with the obvious faux death of Megatron in the last panel. How much do you want to bet that it's Deathsaurus or someone shooting Tarn?

6. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

Don't worry guys, I kicked Tarn's ass. I'm still alive!

I enjoyed the conversation between Ratchet and Megatron a lot. I'm eager to see how Megatron gets out of that situation

7. Antz

Antz Wrecker

News Credits:
    First, I love that you take part in these discussions every now and again, and let me get the "your work here has been awesome!" out of the way.

But I super appreciate this comment, since now we don't have to worry about those guys for another month.

8. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure it was
    Deathsaurus shooting Tarn. I'm sure he wants to be the one to end Megatron.

9. Napalm

Napalm BOASTFUL MANFISH!!! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Deathsaurus has just watched the Megatron he deserted for treating soldiers as disposable storm onto the battlefield in defence of a handful of Autobots. He's watched him scoop up a badly wounded Ravage while standing down the onslaught, forcing Rodimus et al to retreat with Ravage in order to save the guys life at the expense of his own.

If it ain't Deathsaurus after that, we have a problem :lol 

10. battlefudge

battlefudge Still in the biz...

Holy crap. I never put together who you were! Thanks for the issue, it looks amazing.
    On page 15 when Megs is marching into battle, did you make the autobot symbol on his chest angry on purpose?

11. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    This exact same situation happening in the Marvel UK comics where Death's Head had his gun pressed against Rodimus Prime's head on the last page of the issue's story, with the last panel being "CHOOOOM!!" (or other sound effect like that).

It'll be another fake out.

We don't need spoiler tags. Everybody here has read the issue already.

Wouldn't put it past him. But I really doubt Rewind would cry out for Chromedome like that.

12. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I said it back in I think the #52 thread, this will end either with Deathsauras turning on Tarn and Overlord and siding with Megatron after he realizes what he got him and his crew into or Deus Ex Defensorus.

13. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Pretty much enjoyed the same things everyone else already praised.

Skids death was satisfying because he sacrificed himself for the group and it wasn't another pointless battlefield death. It was a perfect endpoint to the poor guys character arc. It really stung that it was the memory of that trauma that ended him but it was poetic justice that Tarn's cruelty finally came back to get him.

Megs/Ratchet convo-- awesome and unexpected. It's almost like an "obvious" plot twist but still unexpected and great.

CHOOM CHOOM CHOOM - I hope Roberts is able to pull out another surprise. Megs is not getting killed. Will Deathsaurus betray Tarn? That's a likely and logical possibility. We'll see...

Everything is wrapping up in a logical manner (IMO) but with enough surprises and nice moments. Poor Ravage-- that hit harder then Skid's death actually.

And yeah, the issues went by too fast but it was packed. I was hoping everything would have been wrapped up in this issue but now I have to wait another 30 days to really see the conclusion. Can't wait! :) 

14. The Kup

The Kup Heavy Metal

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I hope so.

Also, I bet next issue we will finally find out who the heck Tarn really is. My bet's on Roller.

15. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    Quick thoughts before a re-read:

- Trauma induced spark surge is a beyond stupid D.E.M. tool for robots that have been in various states of extreme trauma for millions of years. Despite the fact that it killed Skids and likely won't be used again, it's as bad, or worse, than the logic and story/world breaking Holomatter avatars. Terrible idea.

- Battle was "okay." My opinion on this would have been more positive had Megs foray lasted longer. Action pacing, as usual, was off by the end. But parts of it were very fun. Roberts doesn't have a great sense of how to mete out exposition in mid-fight. Some parts drag, and some parts pop, but it's very inconsistent.

- Megs and Ratchet convo was great. It's so good to have Ratchet, and some separate voices back.

- Skids death was not. It was unsatisfying, and not even in a "purposely-unsatisfying-to-make-a-point-about-the-ephemeral-nature-of-life-and-death" unsatisfying. Maybe it'll be made up for in the next issue, but honestly, no amount of mourning robots will make up for his actual death falling so flat, IMO.

- Autobots in battle are not nearly worried enough about their boost running out. They should have been absolutely panicked and terrified, which would have made Megs entrance so much better.

- Brainstorm actually has to question why Skids's statue goes out? Considering the circumstances, that's dumb. The statue going out should have prompted him to rush inside, especially as his power-up has already faded. Missed opportunity, or poorly setup obstacle for keeping the truth about Quark buried.

- Cliffhanger panel is over the cheap-o line.

Honestly, there was nothing terrible about this issue. I just expected more. I don't think the resolutions have been nearly up to par with the setup issues.

I was looking forward to this book all month, and it just failed to deliver in almost every way I could have imagined. Big contrivances to force the plot to work, pacing problems killing the action, and emotional moments falling flat.

16. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Ravage should have had plans of his own in motion to betray the Autobots and his death would have prevented those plans from happening. As it is, Ravage has been far too well behaved throughout the second season of MTMTE for it to be believable. He didn't have a crisis of conscience like Megatron did and has always been a Decepticon.

17. Wadeledge

Wadeledge Wrecker

Well there goes my theory out the window!

Fantastic issue btw!

18. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I'm wondering if the CHOOMs at the end are Tarn or Overlord turning the guns on each other for the chance to kill Megatron alone.

I'd like to see Deathsaurus betray Tarn as well, and Megatron's behavior could have justified a betrayal, but Megatron was wiping out a TON of Deathsaurus's troops just before that. Whatever new vision he has about Megatron saving the Autobots might not supersede seeing his men being massacred.

19. gregles

gregles quintesson

Really liked the issue, loads of great moments.

Being an action heavy issue it felt a little too quick of a read but there is no real way around that as shoe-horning in legnthy speeches into fights breaks plausibility and can potentially be cheesy as hell.

Skids death was ridiculously sad, most comic deaths offer at least a little closure or at least something nice to reflect on but he died full of guilt self hatred.

I haven't read the whole thread so don't know if someone has already suggested this or not but could Megatron be leading overlord and Tarn into a trap. His cannon conveniently broke then and I could really see him using the phrase you are being deceived in the next issue.

20. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I'm sorta confused. You're saying his death and his behaviors prior to it were not believable?

The way I perceived Ravage in this book was that he was only there to be Megatron's confidante and too really question if his change of heart was legit. I never really got a sense of how devoted Ravage was to the Decepticon cause. My impression was he was there to really understand if his leader/friend had thrown everything away for this whole "Autobot" thing.

He fought in the final battle not because he had joined the Autobots or had a change of heart but because the final battle was all about killing Megatron. And even though Ravage may or may not understood Megatron, he was still loyal to him.

That's how I perceived it. Robert's may have not conveyed this at all or maybe he conveyed a little of it and a lot of it is just me filling in the blanks (which does happen in this book) but that's why his death hit harder. Ravage was, in my mind, a complete bystander in the whole ordeal and was only caught up in it because of his loyal/friendship with Megs. And that's sad and poignant because he truly had an "F U" attitude with the Autobots. Which was funny and cool. lol.

Ravage and Megs is another bittersweet relationship that Roberts developed and which I really appreciated. It didn't get a lot of screentime but you basically had two friends who were on opposite sides of a deeply personal issue hashing it out. I can't recall any dialogue where Ravage got loopy and would threaten Megs for "betraying the cause." It was more like, "WTF bro, are you for real? Cause this hella sucks. I can't believe it." And Megs is like "Dude, I'm having a crisis. Let me think."