MTMTE #50 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Hound89, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Chaotic

Chaotic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He was a wrecker for a little longer than that, but Nick Roche confirmed that he never considered himself one of the group. He only joined on Prowl's orders to watch Kup.

The additional Sins of the Wreckers Hardcover mentions that the reason Kup and Perceptor joined the wreckers durjng their mission to Garrus-9 was that Prowl had ordered it as "Plan B". Kup's words when told he was expected to go was "Me? What have I done apart from still be alive?" He had no intention of going initially. He's also one of the characters that was planned to die. The only reason he didn't is that the writers of Infestation wanted to use the subroutines to throw him into the dead universe and ideas had to be cut due to page limit.

Perceptor knew how to operate the machinery and about the suicide lock. He joined solely because of Prowl and Kup. I don't know if it was explicitly said but it seems obvious the old vet was going to be sacrificed. That would have made for interesting storytelling!

IDW Perceptor's actions aren't rooted in malevolence. The scientist values peace and canon has shown he's willing to go to extreme lengths to achieve it. That doesn't make him a "good guy" either.

I'm not sure if he's fully in on the mutiny. If he's not with Getaway I'd bet his position would have less to do with personal morals unless Roberts is giving him a redemption arc. Barring that, I think what would ultimately effect his decision is if he believed their actions would destabilize the fragile peace.

A question I have is whether Mr. "excuse you but Alternate Realities don't exist" actually believes in the Knights of Cybertron.

2. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

Ambulon figure PLZ

The LL crew should be forced to watch what the DJD do to those good or innocent crew members. And be reminded, no that wasn't Megatron's fault. He made the DJD. You are the ones who sent friends who trusted you to this fate, knowing what it was. And if they still feel what they did wasn't wrong, you put one shot in the brain module, and one in the spark. Because they have become every bit as awful as Megatron was.

3. Ghilz

Ghilz Derpticon

Thunderclash is conveniently not seen among the mutineers, nor among Team Rodimus. And this would sound out of character for him to get along with this, and if ANYONE could talk the crew away from Getaway's plan, it's him.

Did they know it'd be the DJD? They might've been under the wrong impression that they were only dealing with Deathsaurus' crew.

4. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Don’t call me a member thank you very much.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    What's the significance of the planet being hollow do you think?

5. Chaotic

Chaotic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The planet is unicron and the Necrobot planted murder flowers on top of him.

6. nim

nim Member

ah, i figured it was the bonus material. i haven't gotten around to reading any of it. thank you.

still disagree he's "callous", though. he was shown to be conflicted about kup, and he's always struck me as a pretty nice guy in terms of attitude.

i don't think he's in on the mutiny - he seems to be a pretty decent person, one who wouldn't approve of killing so many innocent people, and he tends towards following orders even if he disagrees with them. and while it could have been an act, he behaved rather amicably towards megatron during elegant chaos.

7. Chaddicus

Chaddicus Don't call me Shirley

Kind of let down with no DJD confrontation till the last page of the first story. The solicits claimed Megatron facing the DJD, really lead us on with that line.

8. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

It's an advert for a new upcoming toy.
    Hence it's hollow.

No longer a cost-cutting measure, now hollowness is a feature!

9. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    #TeamEveryoneElse*

*#TeamRodimus (Getaway team is 'Everyone' =P)

10. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

OK, allow me to quickly crash through the (substantial) positive bit of my reaction - I loved this, it was great, and I can't wait for the next issue. This is my favourite story right now in any medium.

THAT SAID, on reflection, there are a few things which stick out weirdly to me. This group on the Necrobot planet have been pegged as the Megs sympathisers. REALLY? Brainstorm, who went back in time to murder Megs? Rewind, who *did* murder Megs in the past and felt entirely justified in doing so (and who also wasn't around when Atomizer and Getaway conducted their 'interviews')? Cyclonus, who put a sword through him? Whirl, who was in on the conspiracy to kill him and only stopped short because he didn't want the plan to involve murdering Tailgate? Velocity, who is a recent addition to the crew?

I mean, it's obvious why devious, disingenuous Getaway would want to bump off Whirl, Cyclonus and Tailgate in addition to the rest - they thwarted his plans and got him locked up. Less obvious why the rest of the mutineers would go along with these choices.

11. Ghilz

Ghilz Derpticon

No one in the crew particularly cares for Cyclonus or Whirl to begin with. And likely Getaway talked them that Cyclonus would only go with Tailgate. After all, they all deluded themselves in thinking the Cons won't touch anyone but Megatron. Which means that as far as everyone knows, Tailgate's safe.

12. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Well, I'd imagine the rest of the crew would have no problem getting rid of Cyclonus. But yeah, I imagine Whirl, Tailgate and he were added after that particular incident. As I said, Brainstorm has proven himself unwilling to kill Megatron. Oddly enough I could see Rewind and Chromedome having sided with the mutineers. God knows they're self-righteous enough.

I suppose there's always the possibility that the other mutineers are naive enough to believe the DJD will leave them alone if they hand over Megatron.

...I guess the out-of-story reason is that they wanted all the main cast together. I mean people are getting upset over Blaster being a mutineer and he's been a non-entity since his Spotlight. Can you imagine if one of the main guys betrayed Rodimus?

13. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Team Rodimus isn't entirely composed of innocent bots. I'm not saying they're criminals, just most have faults that would cause the crew not to give a crap about them. I can imagine it's like Rorschach said "What's one more body amongst the foundations?"

Let us also not forget majority of the crew were combatants in the war, they killed. Killing was a solution to problems for 4 million years. Some are also MTO's which were born with the sole purpose to fight. Killing stopped being hard for the crew a long time ago.

I'm casting no judgement right or wrong, just some perspective. I applaud Roberts for giving us such a complex situation without the heavy-handedness of pushing which side is right.

14. ClatterShards

ClatterShards Well-Known Member

Mtmte #50

This issue was okay to me. I guess the only reason I feel this way is because I sneaked a peek at a couple of pages on 4chan, though I think I still would have felt the same way without reading the exposed pages. There were some good scenes in this issue though and I find the part, where the small group of the RodPod are just standing there with sad, betrayed, and worrisome expressions, really tugs the strings of my heart.

I wish Roberts had let us catch some glimpses in previous issues of how the DJ.D/Deatha. group was working out. I literally want to see those guys in action. Waiting for the next upcoming issue will be a pain in the *** for me but I will find some way to distract my self from it.

15. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

That's exactly the stuff that drama and narrative is made of! Conflict between characters.

I think the main problem here is that there absolutely has to be a third faction: those who want to get rid of Megs and demote Rodimus (or who have at least proven themselves willing to face up to him) but won't countenance risking the lives of fellow Autobots. Most of the crew should be in this faction. So should Whirl, Cyclonus and Rewind. Getaway's plan should have been to subtly gather two lists: (1) people who have damned themselves by association with Megs and (2) people who are militant/brutal enough to countenance sacrificing life/working with the DJD to rid themselves of Megs. Group (2) are the only ones he needs to keep informed. They're the ones who set him free. And they basically strongarm/overpower the rest of the crew in order to feed group (1) to the wolves. They throw the likes of Thunderclash and Whirl in the brig.

16. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm glad you brought this up. No main players are left on the LL. Everyone the reader cares about was in the rod pod. I think Roberts is setting the split up for a significant length of time.

17. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Perceptor is. But yeah. And the others are scattered.

18. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Yes. I imagine the next arc will be our main cast in a smaller ship chasing after the Lost Light. Kind of later-season Red Dwarf style
    but hopefully not shit.

19. Partsformer

Partsformer To Far Away Times

Twitter:
    I may be wrong, but haven't we seen that the DJD only target those on the "list"? Though I guess Deathsaurus and the rest have no such code either way.

I'd like to see some kind of resolution to at least one of the outstanding mysteries:

1. Rung's Alt Mode (alluded to in this issue)
    2. Tarn's identity
    3. Ten's new paint job?
    4. What the hell kind of a name is "Deathsaurus" anyway?
    5. Will the RodPod II be Rodimusier? Or maybe even a MagnusMobile?
    etc..

20. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Perceptor isn't a main character. He's a supporting character for when the book needs a scientist. He could of been Wheeljack, Jetfire or any other scientist. We never got any character exploration or development.

I know nothing about Red Dwarf, but I thought people had said Roberts is a fan.