Mtmte #49

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by SavedTabs, Feb 10, 2016.

1. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just wanted to say that I love the way this response was done. Very classy and one of the reasons I like being in these forums!

2. Large

Large Currently blablabla

News Credits:
    I thank you very much :) 

3. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I feel I should clarify - I'm not meaning to sound as if I mean to insult or chastise a certain group of fans. Never my intent and if it came across that way in my post, then I apologize. It can be hard at times to make a point without it coming across in a negative way when everything is typed out and not actually spoken.

In response to Roberts explanation on Twitter - I appreciate it because it does help answer some questions as to the treatment the character is receiving and why. The part that saddens me though is that he had to take to Twitter to explain WHY he was imprisoned as such, and WHY it was supposed to be shocking.

I get that you can only fit so many things in pages, but it might be because we were told repeatedly that Getaway was a master at escaping, but we've never really seen it in action.

With Overlord it worked only because we got to see him massacre an entire prison planet of Autobots AND Decepticons. We SAW how dangerous he was, we SAW what he was capable of, and thus his imprisonment made sense.

Hopefully we can get more "SHOW" instead of "TELL" in future issues :) 

4. gregles

gregles quintesson

Just a random thought on the subject of getaways cruel fate. The whole Chromia thing really got this fandom to expose its self righteous mob mentality, would chromia getting the getaway treatment just about do it for the angry souls here?

5. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Tbf, we did see Getaway escape a prison using only a spring, some needles and a box of Transformer candy... Bu then he did need those things. From what we've seen it suggests that all they needed to do was a thorough body search and then put him in the Transformer-version of a padded cell to prevent escape, the latter even seeming a bit extreme.

Besides which, what did Getaway do, exactly? He gave Tailgate some fake needles and a search light before asking him to break in to Megatron's bedroom and brainwash him, but was aware that was impossible. In reality I doubt that would even call for imprisonment... certainly not if Tailgate is allowed to roam free.

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    If they left him with his hands and feet, he'd probably escape by cannibalizing his own parts.

Yeah, and he wanted Tailgate to do that so that Megatron would be goaded into killing him. His plan centered on Tailgate actually being killed. That's called Conspiracy to Commit Murder by Way of Proxy and that's absolutely grounds for imprisonment. Hell, lots of jurisdictions consider it as bad as actually committing the murder and is independently considered irrelevant if the target lives or dies. Getaway's punishment is absolutely warranted.

7. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I'd say no, considering he spent a number of months inside Tyrest's prison without attempting such a thing.

The Lost Light clearly employs more leniant standards for incarceration, though. Brainstorm went back in time for the express reason of changing the timeline and effectively removing everyone from existence and whose punishment was getting a slap on the wrist. Rewind actually attempted to do the same via an actual committed murder and received absolutely zero punishment (seriously, Rewind literally killed a newborn Transformer). In the same issue that Getaway did this deed Tailgate himself broke into Megatron's room and attempted to brainwash him, which is an established illegal activity and should have serious consequences.

8. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    If he hadn't given Cyclonus the "goodbye little one", I would've given it a pass since it wouldn't seem like, you know, a fakeout. Not that I ever took it as a serious death in the first place. Prime was shit but at least it kept its non-cash cow characters dead, and you knew they were done for. Here, I don't feel any weight to a "death". Not since Rewind #2. At this point I have to see the character be torn apart like poor Trailguy to accept that a MTMTE main character is dead.

That said, it suddenly being resolved next issue was still crappy.

9. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Yeah, for all people say about him being the character killer the only characters he's killed are Flywheels, Pipes and Trailcutter-- none of which are main or major characters. Not only that, but all their deaths were either premature or pointless aside from how it gave credibility to the threat of Overlord and the DJD. That's it. I hate to say this, but the guys kind of shit when it comes to the threat of character death. Especially since now I just can't bring myself to worry when a character is decapitated or torn asunder. I liked the smelting pool a lot, but most of the violence this season has kind of been ruined by the lack of threat accompanying it. I know I was supposed to be shocked by Thunderclash but I felt nothing from it. Roberts can still create powerful imagery like Sunder's eye-less skull, Getaway's incarceration, and the smelting pool, but it doesn't bode any real terror for the characters lives like it would have first season.

10. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I loved the issue. I recognize MTMTE's flaw, but it's STILL a highly engrossing story that offers a lot of character and world-building each issue.

Question. Can someone explain Rung's attitude towards Froid this issue? Last issue, Froid was presented as evil, both to us and to Rung. Froid wanted confidential patient files...which is bad enough. But Froid wanted the files TO FEED RUNG'S PATIENTS to Sunder. Froid lured Rung and Skids to Sunder. Froid gave Sunder's eyes back SPECIFICALLY to feed on Rung and Skids.

FROID. IS. EVIL. My feeling was that Froid is to Rung what Pharma is to Ratchet.

Then, in Issue 48, it's like Rung lost his short-term memory. Rung stands around looking exasperated and asks, "Why are you unlocking his cage?" No. NO! This isn't how you interact with someone who just proved himself as evil. Then, Rung just LETS Froid release Sunder?

Then, for the next few pages, Froid tags along with Rung and Skids, and it appears like he's part of the (temporary) team now. The biggest lapse in judgment is when Rung tells Froid to "Get over here" and "Help me keep Skids out of the light."

WHAT? FROID IS EVIL. FROID JUST TRIED TO FEED RUNG AND SKIDS TO SUNDER. Why is Rung treating Froid like a friend????????

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Another let down issue.

Seriously if we could have cut The Personality ticks and Swervearth we could have had some solid resolution for both of these two arcs (Getaway and what was going on here).

Please JRo don't fail us with Dying of the Light.

Tailgate's powers were weird and now Megatron's a total pacifist....I know that ain't gonna last too long.

12. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

"Enough! If I must kill the guilty to save the innocent, then I will kill!"

13. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I just... I suspect Megatron is going to sacrifice himself.

14. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually I expect Skids to die.

15. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

It doesn't matter as long as it's pragmatic pacifism. True pacifism is a sham and doesn't work in a conflict-ridden story. Pragmatic pacifism is where the nominal pacifist recognizes when it's time to protect his pacifistic views and then "bring it" for that purpose.

Megatron should most certainly fall into the pragmatism because him becoming a true pacifist doesn't begin to ring true. In this regard he should be taking a page from traditional G1 Optimus Prime.

16. l0te

l0te Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Worries about megs being a COMPLETE pacifist already alleviated with the preview for #50.
    He may not be fighting, but he's telling them where to go and what to kill. It's actually pretty cool seeing him command like that, because god knows he can do it.

It still feels like a contrivance to make the coming battle more dramatic, but it was a bit of a relief. Whether or not he'll go back on it to fight off Tarn remains to be seen.

My bet sadly lies with something bad happening to him and the last remaining timecase being used to go back and prevent him from ever developing this conscience.

17. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmmm.... Pacifist Megatron....

Oh God.

Guys...

Roberts is planning for a postmodern IDW remake of Afterdeath. Calling it.

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Yeah, that sort of threw me off too. It's like Froid went right up to 'unambiguous villain' status, and then bounced back down to 'selfish fool who made a horrible mistake' territory. It was a bit weird.

Though I guess Froid's probably still alive, eh? I wonder where he is now... or did everyone (including Roberts) just forget about him?

In that same preview, he also tells Whirl and Cyclonus to take a ship down, "but remember, no fatalities!"... so he's not quite that pragmatic, unfortunately.

zmog

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I forgot all about the Froid thing. That was really sloppy.

BTW, "Whirl, Cyclonus" and "no fatalities" makes me chuckle.

20. l0te

l0te Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Ugh, You're right. I must have blocked that out. Retracted. Still eager to see after this taste, though.