MTMTE #43 iBooks previews

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sockie, Jul 22, 2015.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I can't agree with anything else in the world more than this. (and that gorillas are the best animal)

2. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    No, because IDW Cyclonus was never a Decepticon.

3. BLACKWAR

BLACKWAR Chaos Trinity Decepticon

You're right, my mistake. He did attack with ferocity and was always a vicious looking robot. Nothing vicious looking about the avatar.

4. primeout

primeout Active Member

Yeah there in the apartment from friends XD

5. megatronski

megatronski Flamewar's strongest soldier

News Credits:
    I'll agree that Cyclonus's avatar is terrible. It doesn't fit the character whatsoever. All the others though, I think work perfectly, Tailgate's especially. I like Bluestreak's avatar as well, I think it could fit the "talk a mile a minute" character Bluestreak has. I wish the colors of the avatar's outfit were better, though. I mean, where did the purple come from?

6. Destron23

Destron23 Vehicon

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Man I'm getting some very Community-like vibes from this one! I'm fairly certain that nod to paintball is a reference to Community as well. If this is going to be MTMTE does TV, too bad Wreck-Gar couldn't be involved somehow. XD

7. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I like the cartoony weirdness in MTMTE, and I like gender and identity issues he's integrating into the characters, Anime Baroness Cyclonus makes transformers fans question everything about themselves.

8. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOLLLLL...you are obviously a person who has never visited the IDW forums. That is the least receptive place for criticism of Roberts writing style. Trust me, 50% of the time a thread with someone criticizing Roberts' writing devolves into someone calling someone else a homophobe (no joke). That's why I like it here, we can generally say "I'm not as happy with this as I want to be" and even though there are passionate defenders, the reaction is not as militantly "How *DARE* you insult MTMTE, because by that you have insulted James Roberts and thus have also indirectly insulted me".

9. justiceg

News Credits:
    I have a feeling we're getting three issues like this because stuff is about to get extremely dark. But who can say.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So, is the last page of this issue Swerve's 'fantasy' dissipating, a mental defense mechanism against the reality of Helex chewing on his cranium after he was teleported out last issue?

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Well, the thing is, Transformers is full of warriors. Everybody's been fighting a war for millions of years now, so I'm not sure if the "old soldier" motif is really the most insightful or distinctive way to go with Cyclonus. Also... he already IS an old soldier, so just showing some dude in armour doesn't really add another layer to his character.

Also, it has already been established that with the new avatar protocol they developed, the TF does not choose their avatar... rather it is generated based on underlying psychological dispositions, which I think makes it kind of fun because it provides a window on their soul that may be more revealing than expected.

So what do we know about Cyclonus that is truly distinctive...? Well, let's see... he's stern, he's taciturn, he does not smile (it doesn't even look like he's physically capable of it, unlike Magnus). He's also a patriot and a traditionalist, who exalts classical Cybertronian culture. He has great personal pride. He also utterly represses his emotions and expects everybody else to be as contained. He's actually not a pure soldier... out of the Dead Universe crew, he was the one who most wanted to simply return home... to go back to the "old days" when Cybertronian society was still respectable. It's pretty clear that he disapproves of how lax everything has gotten since. He sort of takes Tailgate under his wing, but only shows him tough love. He tries to educate him (which sort of backfired), and generally only shows disapproval of everything he does.

Sure, that could be a cranky old soldier, but I think it also has a very strong resonance with the archetype of the old spinster schoolmarm or governess... the humourless, austere, scowling, thin-lipped, loveless old crone, whose task it is to instill proper values into children, and is not going to spare the rod if necessary. And in true Victorian fashion, she holds all of her emotions in check, save for bitterness. I think it's a perfect fit, but it's also innovative at the same time.

But I think most of that is lost, because Milne decided to sex up the design, and add a lot of decorative elements that undermine the concept. Totally missed the boat on that one. :( 

zmog

12. justiceg

News Credits:
    You know, now that you wrote this down...

1) Why was Skids the Doctor in the first place?
    2) More importantly, why did his avatar change when no one else's did?

Sounds like there might be a clue to his nature here.

Or it could just be fanwanky. But I hope not.

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Yup, because genderswapping characters is soooooooo edgy. :p 

But it's cool, as long as they're hot, right? That's all fanboys really care about, after all.

I'm just going to post this again, because it's awesome:
    [​IMG]

All she needs is a helmet and a bit more stinkface. :) 

zmog

14. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Well-Known Member

I remember seeing old victorian teachers in the movies portrayed as vicious...heck some teachers in Harry Potter are vicious :D 

15. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Well-Known Member

Because he is a super learner and and amnesiac who still don't know what he is for sure.

16. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Apparently your "condition" makes you unable to understand sarcasm.

17. BLACKWAR

BLACKWAR Chaos Trinity Decepticon

I get all that, ZMOG, I just find it to be a weak portrayal of his actual strength as a warrior. Of everyone on the entire LL crew, I always saw Cyclonus to be the most deadly, at least visually. That look gets lost in such a Victorian female form. Not trying to be sexist, just saying that I can't imagine her whipping out a sword and taking someone's head off in a blink of an eye. Eh, whatever, too much time spent discussing this, haha. If it works for you guys, great, at least you will enjoy reading it more than me.

18. Driskull98

Driskull98 Evil is as evil do.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Tumblr:
    Wow this is...really bad. And completely unfunny.

Stop with the fucking meta humor and get back to the space adventures and giant robots. I don't fucking care about Swerve's binge-watching of a TV Show everyone and their mom has seen.

God, MTMTE is turning out terrible lately. RID is zooming right past it.

19. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I'm irritated and intrigued.

20. PepsimusP

PepsimusP Well-Known Member

Oh my lord... not that... not THAT.