MTMTE #43 iBooks previews

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sockie, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I disagree.

2. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

I agree

3. ultramagnus1

QFT

Re Ravage anyone who owns a cat (like I do) or knows cats will tell you a few things about these incredible animals that Ravage was modeled after

1 Cats are stone cold killers. From the moment they are born they are hunters. And they will kill if they have to.

2 Stealth. This is more connected to Ravage in sofar as Cats rarely if ever make a sound. They are quiet, moving around and hunting without making a sound. And they hide, in the shadows watching and listening.

This is Ravage and to me using the attention deflectors gimmick in order to achieve what he does diminishes his character imo.

4. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:

He sort of indicated it on Twitter.

I'm looking forward to it, and I don't see anything wrong with injecting some other culture's humor into the comic. We actually had a whole conversation at TFCon regarding British terms and their meanings vs. American vs. Canadian ones. We were trying to find something that was purely American or Canadian, but alas our slang is minor league compared to the Brits.

I was lucky enough to have dinner with him Saturday night, then we all hung out in the bar the rest of the night. He is awesome to chat with about anything. Very interesting, and very witty. :D 

[​IMG]Hanging with Roberts at TFCon 15 by teresa, on Flickr

5. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Black Scourge is the name of my cat. She is a hunter and aloof stand offish it is kinda what Ravage is. This is first time wr seen Ravage out side Soundwave shadow. We really don't know much about him.

6. ultramagnus1

Ravages chat with Megatron was a highlight of season 2

7. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Truth is I am very curious about this issue. I meet with Roberts and he is really nice person and he knew I was under the weather with a cold. I believe that the protectobotd and Mirage leave for the combiner wars

8. ultramagnus1

Yeah we saw them in Combiner Wars

9. KrytenKoro

KrytenKoro Well-Known Member

This looks like a pretty blatant, if less aggressive, shoutout to red dwarf's terrorform episode.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I know it feels a bit self-aggrandizing to quote these, but it also feels aloof not to stop and humbly say thanks for the kind words. I'm not writing professionally at the moment, but academically - specifically finishing up a thesis, which is why I REALLY shouldn't be here right now. :confused2 

( My tendency to get distracted is probably why I should not be writing professionally. :(  )

Of course our reactions to things are always still somewhat subjective. But here's where I'm coming from. Your suggestions above for things that maybe would have made the issue "work" better hint at something here... that it's not even just the whole idea of the "personality ticks" that was problematic (though I think it's not really the best idea, seriously... whole plotline based on a bad pun).

Intead, I think that the actual pacing, storytelling, and tone of the narrative was also full of problems. It felt slapdash and half-conceived, rather than smoothly executed. I've actually gone into a more deliberate critique of why I think it doesn't work in the discussion thread for that issue, so I won't do it all again here. But I'm saying that there's a qualitative aspect here.

The point is, maybe this story COULD have worked. Maybe having 2 fewer pages to work with hurts his storytelling style (though it's been that way for a while now). However, the bottom line is that the final story didn't really come together that well (in the opinion of many). Whatever the reasons, the author didn't pull it off.

Maybe that's not his fault... but then, whose fault is it? Ours? For "expecting too much" or for "not getting the humour"?

I think those are convenient excuses that allow an author to sidestep any legitimate or constructive criticism. Sometimes you have to stop and ask "wait, maybe I am going about this the wrong way"...

I really wanted to work a Morrissey lyric in there somewhere just for Roberts, but I couldn't pluck it out of the air. :) 

I think that's a disingenuous scenario, that tries too hard to project the issues of the story instead onto the readers. It's not a problem with the writing, it must be with the audience. I think there are real limits as to how far this rationalization is truly helpful or constructive.

Damn, that was a much longer reply than I intended. :( 

Yeah, my friends who were hanging with him in 2013 said he was really cool and really down-to-earth (they got him to sign an issue of Shadowplay for me, since I couldn't make it that year either). Everything I've heard from and about him sounds really smart, humble, and pleasant. Maybe someday.

( Maybe I'll wait a while before telling him what my screen name is though, just in case. :)  )

What I remember about that reveal was that I was reading it on the subway, and as I was walking up the stairs, on those second-to-last pages, I was like "OH HELL" and suddenly realized WHO it was going to be, which was nice... to drop those final hints before the final reveal, to build anticipation, and to reward the reader for being attentive. That way, when you turn the page it's not just a "WTF?", but rather a "yes! YES!" where it confirms suspicions and therefore feels intuitive rather than a left-field twist. I think that was a smart bit of structuring there.

I hope he can manage the same level of anticipation vs satisfaction when Tarn finally gets unmasked, but it may have dragged on too long now.

I have to say, the Ravage thing doesn't bother me. Ravage, being a dedicated infiltration operative AND a Transformer, was always someone I assumed mixed a preternatural sneakiness with high-tech supplements. I have no problem accepting that Ravage uses a whole array of heat-signature dampers, sound mufflers, radiation-absorbing surfaces, and whatever else to bolster his inherent stealth. I agree that "attention deflectors" feel a bit over-emphasized, but at this point I just treat them as another piece of stealth tech in the TF universe... so it would be kind of weird if they -weren't- part of Ravage's repertoire... y'know... just one tool in his bag of tricks?

Nice. I really wish I could have been there. I'm in deadline hell right now.

Well, back to work. :redface2: 

zmog

11. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    What is red dwarf?

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    A very, very, very angry short person.

(it's Sci-fi)

13. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Was it popular? Is it also from BBC?

14. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nerd popular and yes Wikipedia link

15. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Red Dwarf is a fun show. Not totally my style of comedy, but it's fun. I'm currently watching it on the net about two episodes a day. Really fun, and you can definitely tell that MtMtE is a love letter to the show.

16. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Hmm might have to check that out then..

17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Gotta love how people are discuss the bad and saying why it is bad instead of the "I don´t like therefore it´s shit."

18. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Just my $0.02 here - and it's not as well written out as others but here it is. Feels like James is writing for the audiences on Tumblr more than anything. Not meant to be a negative criticism as Tumblr has a great community of fans who appreciate different aspects of the franchise than say this community - but catering to one community over the other consistently is going to hurt in the long run more than help.

I guess the comic sales will tell all. (Then again, Transformers comics have been dropping lately, while MLP and Jem are topping the charts, hence why SDCC felt more like the MLP/Jem show with some Transformers and on hey we're cancelling G.I. Joe at 225).

Note; My assumption is their cancelling G.I.Joe at 225. Their editor at the panel couldn't even remember which issues were out yet and which weren't, he was too busy being excited about MLP

19. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Not really, they've still been around the 9000 mark--same as always. Sales actually went up for MTMTE and ex-RiD a little bit these past couple of months.

20. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    For that matter, those are Diamond numbers only; we don't know what the online readership is like since nobody actually releases digital comics numbers.