MTMTE #43 iBooks previews

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sockie, Jul 22, 2015.

1. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    Now that is a cogent reply, and I respect that. I can see what you mean, but I do personally love the more meta, self-referential stuff. That said, I think for issues like the DJD one, that wasn't self-indulgent entirely, with the build up toward the larger background plot line. Again, these are all assumptions based on only three pages. For all we know some sort of horror related to the overall plot line awaits at the end. Who knows. Only Jro and Milne do... and Barber.. and well, you get the idea.

I'll enjoy the hell out of it for all the rest of you. ^_~

2. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Roberts has taken me to the mountain top of Transformers storytelling. I think he's produced the best stories in any medium for Transformers. I think he writes great comics on the whole without the qualifier of being great Transformers comics. I know I'm not the only one to feel this way. I know people in this thread criticizing the last two issues and the preview have sung Roberts praises loud and often on this site.

No one is putting forth whiny I don't like it comments. The criticism has been fairly objective and well reasoned. Just because someone likes something doesn't mean it's above legitimate criticism.

3. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I can still imagine this to be great. Depends on what course this story takes. While I understand the concern, the shitstorm after a preview is exaggerated.

4. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Kinda in reverse. Just a remote controlled doll.

Bonus points for having a better in-universe reason to have cockpits in alt modes for storing it somewhere when it's not used.

5. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    For me it still feels like the same MTMTE I signed on for.
    I guess I just have more tolerance/patience with the silliness so I never really noticed there being more of it.

6. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People are saying the silliness that was a charming as a peppering, has recently overshadowed the story. It's taken front and center. It's become contrived as of late.

7. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    I guess it's a good example of how nobody will ever agree on whether there is too much, too little or just enough of something.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Speak for yourself. I am the agile cat. ;3

Holy shit, nail on the head.

This preview wouldn't have left me with nearly as much doubt if the preceding issues didn't exist. But as it stands, this is cementing a visible pattern that, while, ultimately breakable, is a pattern nonetheless.

I honestly, and this is not meant as a broad stroke across any particular sect of the MTMTE fandom, believe there are some who have fallen for their own, or others' hype. Some may find MTMTE the best thing ever, but not exactly for the subjective quality it gives. I've heard people call MTMTE best purely for superficial things like "there are no humans." :) I) So I think, and this is just hypothesis, not my opinion or any broad, demeaning generalization, there's people who wouldn't know when MTMTE got "bad" because they weren't even aware of what made it "good." ("good' in the eyes of the majority and those who find subjective quality in it)

I think you should change that "nobody" to "not everybody."

Because this thread is rife with examples to the contrary of this statement.

9. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's very true, at the onset of story. People stay or leave based on taste. They also expect the story to maintain a consistent voice. This is an established story working towards an end. Roberts himself has said there is an end, this isn't just a run and he leaves and someone else picks it up. Roberts himself established the bar for silliness. Go back and read the Delphi two parter and the recent personality ticks two parter. The inconsistent writing between the two is quite evident. The whole first season has the tone of the Delphi arc.

I don't think anyone thinks things are ruined, just more like hey get back on track.

10. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    There's random silliness, then there's starting off an issue with Cyclonus telling Tailgate to stay away from Tumblr while talking about their own damn comic, as humans on the set of Friends. Right after two issues dedicated to personality ticks. That kind of silliness just tears me right out of the comic. It doesn't feel "real", so I don't want to invest in it.

11. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. Aaaaall'a this. This right here.

12. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Yeah, all ZERO of them. Just because someone is being critical about the direction of a story, doesn't mean MTMTE is suddenly garbage til the end of time for them.

I still love MTMTE, I've been disappointed as of late, but I loved Elegant Chaos, I loved the Ratchet issue, an I didn't even "hate" the personality tics, I was only a little let down by the event.

Way to be insulting to people raising concerns about actual pacing and tonal issues in the comic.

This isn't people crying over Minimus Ambus or Star Saber, both instances where people have tagged the "ruined forever" label. This is a change of pace that a lot of people aren't finding preferable to the storytelling itself. We all like MTMTE, and we all like the humour and little moments of weird that are sprinkled through it. Sometimes it becomes too much, and the story suffers because of it.

Feel free to disagree, that's the point of opinions. If you are fine with the direction and the self-indulgence then by all means, more power to you - I'm jealous. Just don't smack down others opinions for not liking what you like.

Also this.

13. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Primus Hates You

That's a matter of taste though, nothing inherently wrong with it. She-Hulk's best lives off of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    This was the first transformer comic I ever read that made me care for the characters to such a degree that I was really hurt when some of them died, or exceptionally happy when they succeeded. I can think of only 3 maybe 4 other comics I've read that have done that to me. I liked this comic because it felt real, the drama and suspense felt real. With all that said, I wish I could better articulate what's been wrong with season two. It's not been bad, well... the past 2 issues just weren't doing it for me. at all. But the comic is just not there anymore. It's just not.

Is it "RUINED FOREVER"? no.
    It's definitely on that chopping block, though.

Oh, She-Hulk is a rarity in that in can pull that gimmick off. I mean, think of all the times that the old TMNT cartoon pulled that. After a while it got really repetitive.

15. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    CONTEXT, though. That was She-Hulk's THING for years. Its never been MTMTE's thing and the book cant just suddenly DO IT without people reacting.

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Ha! You've got it all figured out! :) 

No, not everybody will ever agree on just one thing. But when a LOT of people start to disagree with something, maybe it's time to listen to them. Some people aren't bothered by things... sometimes it's taste, or personal threshhold, or how involved they are in the material... but it doesn't mean that problems don't exist, just because they're "subjective".

If you're getting at the idea that some people have low standards, or are easily entertained, then yes. This will always be true. :) 

zmog

17. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    The comics I read about she hulk, she did not do that.

18. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Only some writers used the gimmick. I think it worked best under Byrne's pen. Otherwise, it's not always been great when used.

19. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Primus Hates You

It was never She-Hulk's thing until Byrne got his hands on her and there was at leasg a good decade where it wasn't until Slott did.

James dropped the meta bomb early in the run. It's not exactly a nee thing.

20. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Sooo, could the metabomb be the reason why swerve started to invest so much time in earth culture?