MTMTE #43 iBooks previews

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sockie, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Given how abstract MTMTE solicitations have started to become in relation to issue contents, I'd be inclined to think it's metaphorical. The team are up against a ticking clock and the weight of an entire planet('s accumulated arts and literature) is involved.

2. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

It actually does make some degree of sense why his avatar changed. When we saw Skids on Hedonia, this was before he learned who he actually was and still had amnesia. Now he knows who he is- an elite special ops spy, so his avatar is now basically James Bond.

(At least, I assume his avatar here is the same as Milne's cover design for the Hedonia issue. Honestly, it looks like it could either be that or the Ninth Doctor... which also kind of works, in a way.)

3. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Roberts has earned the benefit of the doubt from me. I'll judge after reading. Crazy times we live in.

4. RMStunticon

RMStunticon Dan Kuroto Fan

I like how many people immediately jump to "ruined forever".

5. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yikes......someone needs an editor. I'm with everyone saying self-indulgent. Sometimes people need to be reminded, just do your job. Don't flex your writing muscles, don't get too cute, don't pander to the fans, just write a solid story.

It's criminal that we got 2 and seem to be getting a third issue of this self-indulgent crap when Megatron is sitting there more interesting than he has ever been. Roberts has been a master with Megatron, so why not run with it. Who cares if it dominates season 2, it's been really great.

This is where he needs the editor (Barber I think) to step in and say Jim you're hitting homeruns with Megs, stop screwing around.

I also don't like the s&m anime victorian teacher fantasy. Teacher is fine by me, but the old lady picture that has been posted is Cyclonus.

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
  7. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    No, after reading three pages I clearly have enough information to know that MTMTE has ruined Transformers forever. I have no choice but to burn all my tpb and bury my TF collection under a rock in the deepest, darkest part of the forest.

8. Natephoenix

Natephoenix DoodleBot

Ebay:
    I dunno what everyone is talking about, this looks amazing. I HIGHLY doubt this will be more than a few pages worth of content.

9. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd temper that expectation, if I were you. It's got a sitcom *title sequence*. This is very likely going to make up the bulk of the issue.

10. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    I cackled as I read through this thread. You guys are a bunch of delicate flowers... ruined forever. Pfft. Dramallama central over here.

[​IMG]

*all the fan tears*

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    This is really the heart of the issue. People flipped out (with excitement) when Megatron joined the LL, and next to nothing has been done with him.

Has anyone noticed this as a pattern at all?

That whenever someone criticises MTMTE for legitimate problems, they're mostly met with just petty insults rather than any sort of legitimate counter-points?

Because I can't be the only one to notice this.

12. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Fair point. For all we know the three pages could be the only pages to have this sort of thing and that's it. Probably won't solve or excuse any other self indulgent problems but it might not be as severe as some are fearing to be.

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Who has a "condition"?

Your condition makes you unable to appreciate my sarcastic remark? Nothing you said suggested sarcasm at all. You seem to have been applauding Roberts mixing up the gender paradigm, and in the same breath, smirking over how "hot Cyclonus" makes fanboys uncomfortable. Did I get that wrong? You actually meant the exact opposite of that? Because that's usually how sarcasm works.

I, on the other hand, was just pointing out that making Cyclonus a hot geek girl isn't really challenging any fanboy paradigm. It's really just playing into it.

No, but I think I can see her suddenly smacking someone upside the head with a stick because they were being stupid. Victorian schoolmarms are basically drill sergeants. I don't think Cyclonus' 'strength as a warrior' needs to be represented by his inner persona... the whole point of that inner persona is to show us another aspect or perspective on them that is revealing.

I think the real watchwords for Cyclonus are "stern" and "emotionally repressed" and "disapproving"... so the schoolmarm thing works... IF it's done right, which I dont' think it is.

That's definitely part of it. Milne has a tendency to be too "pretty" in his designs, and a bit superficial. You can really see this in his work back in the first Drift miniseries. He's gotten better with his robot character designs since then, incorporating a bit more alt-mode kibble and functional decorative aspects, but to me, this Cyclonus design is really an example of him being too anxious to glam something up... at the cost of losing what it's supposed to be about.

I would definitely say this Cyclonus is "sexed up"... not in an overt "chick in a bikini" way, but certainly in the anime-goth glam sense. She's an alternative fashion plate, like something you'd see roaming Akihabara on a Sunday. He kind of did the same thing with Whirl... which sort of lost the "enfant" part of his "enfant terrible" persona, instead making her "hot pirate Tank Girl".

It's just one small manifestation of geek culture, where "female" and "sexy" have become inextricably linked. It's almost impossible to have a female character who is conventionally unattractive (or not younger-looking than she should be). If Cyclonus had been realized as a human male, he probably would have come out looking like Christopher Lee, or the Disney's Frollo from Hunchback of Notre Dame. But since it's a female avatar, Milne defaults to "hot goth chick". Meh.

Yeah, exactly.

Yup, yup, yup....

Agreed. Emphatically.

So... sort of like Japanese Headmasters? :) 

I agree that's a problem, but I don't think Caminus is unrecoverable. I think it can kick off an exploration of what makes Caminus distinct... setting aside the gender thing for a second, and exploring how they were a culture that didn't really have a war. Instead they gravitated to the arts. Even their martial disciplines seem to be more ceremonial. They have a stronger emphasis on social performance. There's some material there to grow on.

As for the BFF thing... I see the problem, but I didn't take that to mean that the Amica Endura was the same as shipping... and I wasn't quite sure if it was an exclusive bond (can one have more than one Amica Endura?). I think that following up that sort of "blood brother" (for lack of a better term) bonding mechanic in the culture could actually steer us -away- from the shipping for a while.

Yup.

It only bothers me that the meaning is that "he's a fembot" rather than allowing a fluid gender identity to exist without anchoring it to an either/or equation. Since Cybertronians of his era (supposedly) don't have gender, identifying as female or male is kind of irrelevant to him. His avatar just reflects one side of his personality... the same way someone might say that their spirit animal is eagle or something because of certain iconic traits...but that doesnt' make you literally or psychologically into a new species.

Of course the problem with the above is that I still keep referring to him as "him"... when hypothetically "her" would be equally applicable. In that sense I'm just holding to convention to keep things simple, but it is one of the compromises there.

Yup. I think the response here is a bit exaggerrated.

But to be fair, Roberts also told us to skip this instalment if we don't like "that kind of thing" (MTMTE-ness) so he did issue this story with a warning.

I think this story could be fine, and I think the preview might not even really communicate what we should expect. But from Roberts' point of view, I think he should be taking the uproar differently... people aren't responding to this issue... but for a lot of readers this preview crystallizes a trend they've been seeing. It's not these three pages that is really sparking the debate, but instead a process that has been fomenting feelings of apprehension and dissatisfaction for a while. He should be addressing the cause, not the symptom.

Anyway, hope this issue is good. :) 

zmog

14. SavedTabs

SavedTabs Active Member

News Credits:
    I think some of the fanart of his avatar are more suited for his character than the canon design.
    [​IMG]
    (art by peachskull)
    Milne made him Indian. Why not put the form in clothes suited for the ethnicity represented or work to make the Victorian outfit more historically accurate?
    [​IMG]
    I'd have liked it if he put more effort put into Bluestreak's design too.

15. SMOG

It's a kind of trollish, defensive style of reaction that occurs in pretty much any thread. When someone can't bear to hear ANY kind of criticism of something they like, rather than consider or address the criticism, it's way easier to just mock other fans from a contrived position of superiority. Besides being a pretty typical ad hominem, it's also kind of pathetic.

So yeah, nothing new. And I agree, it's lame and phony, and more than anything, just provokes flamewars. I guess we could just report the post?

Heh. Not bad. Though by making him into a stern Indian auntie, you sort of lose the Victorian associations. But the severe look of the last dress is much more the direction he needed.

zmog

16. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    If you want to say there's been a lot of filler (which yes, I LOVE) as of late, then yes, I will concede that point. But, remember that MTMTE was NOT part of Combiner Wars and I'm fairly sure we're experiencing the lag here. At the same time, Roberts said to wait until we've seen the whole issue before judging, and yet here you all are busily crying about 'ruined forever'. I'm sorry if you think my finding that kind of over dramatic wording hilarious, but I do.

This comic is why I am still even in this fandom. I think Roberts brings realistic aspects of relationships to the writing that none of the other TF writers can even come close to. If you prefer BANG-BANG shoot 'em up boring same old storylines of the past, go re-read or something? I dunno. I adore this comic for all it is, and I enjoy the unexpected twists and turns.

There, coherent enough for you?

17. SMOG

I think you've moved on from ad hominem now, to succumbing to a strawman argument. I know it's a cliche, but there it is.

I don't believe the term "ruined forever" has been used by ANYONE in this thread, except people attempting to cartoon the arguments of those making criticism. In fact, the majority of the criticism comes from people who genuinely love Roberts' work, and want him to pull back from the abyss of indulgent self-referential writing, so this series can get back on track.

And I think "bang-bang shoot 'em up boring same old storylines" is also a gross (and self-serving) characterization of what people are asking for. That's not what this series has been about, and it's not what people expect. By saying the above, you are again creating a caricature of anyone who disagrees with you... the "plebian juvenile fanboys" who want superficial entertainments, while you are (of course) the sort of evolved human being who appreciates a good metatextual character-driven surrealist romp, obviously. :rolleyes2 

I think it's tiresome and disingenuous. Your contempt for the other contributers to this forum really is unwelcome.

zmog

18. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    So... One of the main things that drew me to MTMTE in the first place was the random silliness that has been peppered throughout since the beginning. To me, this preview is just an example of that same random silliness.

I guess I'm confused by the criticism...what am I missing?

19. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    You haven't missed a thing. Season 2 has arguably taken a different direction than Season 1. It's been sillier, more self-referential, more meta, and less about certain elements from Season 1 that seemed omnipresent at the time; a focus on world-building, politics, history, character dynamics and long-arcing plots threads and resolutions.

It's fine if you like the direction this season has taken. There are just a group of us that feel like we "signed on" for a different book, and find the current direction unsatisfying.

In the end, the book could pretty easily "correct course" and make us all happy. But it's starting to feel like JRo might require some outside pressure to send it back in that direction indefinitely.

By all means though, if this is the Transformers book you love, enjoy it.

20. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    I'm guessing said "title sequence" is also a way he bulked up the pagecount - he mentioned in his Transmissions interview from TFcon that art reuse is a way to get around the 20 page restriction, and that he's done so on a couple of recent issues including 43.