MTMTE #38 Discussion *Spoilers, obv*

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by grindcore138, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It truly is a beautiful thing.

That;s true but that's how it is with fandoms. They sympathize and overlook characters who do bad things while demonize other characters even if they did nothing wrong.

2. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Well-Known Member

In the end, it's all coming down to Rodimus and Megatron. They are the leaders of the posse and they have to decide what to do with Brainstorm and Rewind. Rewind murdered an innocent while Brainstorm does nothing of the sort. He just have an intention. Brainstorm should be locked up while Rewind should be put into Garrus-9. Of course, that means exposing what happened to lots of people, and people will learn about time machines, and will do lots of hijinks with it.

About the Functionist timeline: Why would the Functionist Council still allowing sentience if they worship functions above all?

And something about Rung: He loves ship models. He turns into a lever or key or something, and his true function is quite dangerous. I wonder if the entirety of Cybertron is a ship and Rung is the key to activate it?
    Also, Rung in the duplicate LL vanishes. I wonder if there can be only one Rung in the entire timeline? I meant, duplicate of Rung from different era in one timeline is excused, but duplicate of Rung from the same era is unexcusable. This means Rung is so special there can be only one of him.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    I've not seen anybody excusing him. Like at all.

People are just sympathetic. He deserves to sit in that cell for what he did and tried to do, at least until they can deduce a proper punishment/retribution.

4. grindcore138

grindcore138 a

News Credits:
    What if he's somehow tied to the disappearance of Luna 1? If he really is a key, he could be what was used to activate the planetary engines hidden away on it's dark side. He could've been discarded afterward and left with no memory, which is why he felt a sense of déja vu upon seeing the portal that lead them there in Remain in Light. If Luna 1 really is a "miracle moon", maybe it holds the secret to preventing "the end" that Functionist timeline Rung refers to?

5. Zenstrive

Why was Luna-1 moved, again?

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    We have no idea.

It just vanished one day. Though we know how it moved.

7. Zenstrive

Hmm...and it has a Hot Spot, that was reactivated when Rung touched it...

so many theories....

8. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    We all thought it was due to Hot Rod, but when he went back it wouldn't. Does anybody remember if Rung was with them the second time? Maybe that's why they didn't light up again?

9. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I really wanted there to be more to the gun, but so far it seems that the similarities to Megatron's gun mode are just a coincidence.

But yes, the end scene gun *DOES* look identical.

10. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Yes, he is guilty, but at the same time, they recognize it as an attempt to kill pre-war Megatron and stopping the war. One could class it as an unfortunate friendly fire incident...

We may see it revisited.

I think it's just, he's a scientist, PoP sparks are cool, why not?

Rewind shooting Joetron I believe, yes.

11. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

I thought it was Rodimus having the Matrix half, which he didn't afterwards as it got shattered saving everyone who was cold-constructed. Or it was heavily implied that was the case.

What could rung do then, that the functionists hate? Reformat everyone? Free then from their alt modes? Call the Knights back?

12. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I've finally managed to read the issue. Now, I do not want to say I feel this entire story has been a waste of my time, but... I feel this entire story has been a waste of my time.

OK, so a whole bunch of Megatron related things Roberts wrote in the past was because of time travel. Issue two established that. So why the hell was this a three part story? Worse, a three part story that was set up in the two issue preceding it. Why did they this story take so long to tell?

OK, to talk about this issue specifically, Brainstorm is talked out of shooting Megatron, Rewind shoots Megatron, Whirl puts the other spark in Megatron. That is done by page a elven. Why did the story last another eleven pages?

Now let's go back to part one. The LL group gets caught up in events in the past we never knew happened, and I am still wondering why we needed to know. The entire issue was pointless.

Yes, we find out the origins of the DJD. Great, but if that was the only reason this story took so long, then why doesn't Roberts just not give them a needlessly convoluted origin that for some reason involves time travel? I feel like this is a two issue story that was padded out with one extra issue, and the setup moved to two preceding issues, just so Roberts could fit in an origin story that should've been separate.

James Roberts keeps reminding me of Doctor Who's Steven Moffat more and more. He spends years setting up a convoluted time travel story, that promises to be this epic accumulation of the series, then it ends up being a whole lot of nothing.

13. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Okay, well, those pages were used to:

- Wrap up one of the book's ongoing mysteries
    - Explore the villain's motives
    - Pull off another bootstrap paradox
    - Have some brief character moments
    - Explain the final loose ends of the arc's plot
    - Tease future stories

But, oh, no, clearly that was all so pointless.

Part One was there to follow up on the events of "Shadowplay", give Megatron an opportunity to reflect on himself via the call to Orion, and, perhaps most importantly, to act as a coda of sorts for Trailcutter. Sometimes it's more about the characters than the plot, especially in MTMTE. Plot as a vehicle for character interaction/drama is basically MTMTE's whole schtick, y'know?

14. soundwaverulls

- You mean that DJD origin scene? Again, I feel their origins has no place in this story.
    - Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. So Brainstorm was doing all of this because some dude we've never heard of died, and he was trying to save him because apparently he loved this dude he's never mentioned. That's not anticlimactic at all.
    - Because that's exactly what we need. More paradoxes. Wait, what part are you talking about?
    - Brief character moments are fine.
    - Which takes, what? One, two more pages?
    - Unless that universe is going to cross over with this one, that has nothing to do with this story. And if that universe does cross over, then I have to criticize that, when combined with all the DJD stuff, this arc if filled with too much "wait and see" junk. I want to enjoy the story I'm reading now. Not one I'll read in the future.

OK, that's two scenes to justify the existence of an entire issue. I know that character is the focus of MTMTE, but a huge criticism I have with season two is the poor attempts to mix it with plot. An epic time travel story isn't needed for character development, and as such, character development can't be used as justification for a time travel story.

Plus, if there was less plot this season, maybe the characters would be stronger. To comment on Megatron, as you brought him up, I've several times voiced my problems with his arc, that Megatron has skipped over his development into a nice guy, and now just is one.

15. Jalaguy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    DJD? Eh? I'm talking about the mystery of the warning message.

The creation of the Sparkeater and the Lost Light's super-engines. The latter of which were themselves another ongoing mystery, since we'd had several characters remark on how inexplicably advanced they were.

Huh? Obviously James Roberts didn't add that scene for no reason. Are cliffhanger endings teasing future stories are a bad thing now? Was then, for instance, #16 bad for spending its last page setting up "Remain in Light"?

16. soundwaverulls

Oh that. Yeah, that was alright, tho it didn't carry much meaning.

I feel like an idiot. I totally didn't realize they created their own engines. Did they actually say that's what happened, because if they did, I missed that line.

Also, with Roller seemingly being set up to become Tarn, and that dude Whirl assaulted possibly becoming Kaon, I thought that guard Cyclonus fought became the DJD member who owns the Turbofox that chews sparks, but checking TFWiki, the owner is Kaon, and that guard looks just like the Sparkeater.:eek: 

What I was saying is that the end scene could just be letting us know Rung does have a purpose, and unless the people from the other timeline who have discovered that purpose travel to this universe, then that setup doesn't justify this story being that long.

But forget about it. Now I've had the parts with the engines, and sparkeater pointed out, I feel this issue now has more to it than I initially thought. My complaints, for the most part, can be subtracted. And I'm glad, because I was starting to wonder if this series was worth reading anymore.

17. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is reason I read the issue twice, then check the Wiki and then read it a third time.

There's always something I've missed. :) 

18. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I do think Roberts piled on the coindentally-important stuff that happened in the past a bit heavily...

I mean, sure, any place they went to because it was important, that makes sense. That's why they went there. But random-Kaon, random-sparkeater, and even the LL itself, I think was stretching it a bit much. They just-happened to create three of their enemies in one go!

19. Jalaguy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Kaon? Huh?

EDIT: Wait, do people still think the guy Whirl shot with the sparkeater gun is him? Maaaybe that could've been the case before we knew what the gun did, but I doubt it's him now. I imagine that guy is just the "original" sparkeater that inspired all the tales and horror stories.

20. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I just realized that Brainstorm's plan succeeded in the alternate Universe. Quark is indeed alive; Although, that name reminds more of this guy, [​IMG] than this guy, [​IMG].