MTMTE #37 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Peaugh, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some interesting theories being banded about.

I had an idea Brainstorm would be after Megatron, still unsure of his allegiance but if he was a true con he'd be wiping himself out, so he's either a true autobot or something else like BW Tarantulas, maybe even an ancient headmaster that survived Galvatrons onslaught which would explain why he's so intelligent as you'd pick up a couple of things if you were kicking around a few million years more than anyone else.

I like how these recent issues have dealt with the DJD origins. Didn't roberts confirm we'd be seeing their origins and more about them? The subtle hints like Roller, the nobody that's guilty by association shot by whirl and possibly a knocked out forgotten rung would certainly add fuel to the fire.

I understand people questioning Roller = Tarn and Rung = Vos but those two appear to be the ring leaders of the DJD and they've heavily targeted decepticons which would be extremely clever, root out the problem from the inside by pretending you're one of the gang.

Of course there were Autobot casualties like Trailbreaker and the duplicate Lost Light but seeing as how A) Trailbreaker was an outlier and roller is jealous of them it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility he'd want them dead no matter the faction and B) The Lost Light were possibly victims of circumstance in that we never saw that scene so what's the say the DJD turned up looking to strike a deal for Overlords capture but were attacked by the Autobots, namely whirl and they defended themselves? After all, Tarn did spare Rewind knowingly.

2. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yep, and apparently I'm going senile because I've remembered it completely wrong! Ignore me folks, I'm talking rubbish (again!) and getting Victor Meldrew confused with Chris Kamara whose catchphrase is 'Unbelievable, Jeff' but not with the emphasis on 'lie' and he's not someone that Roberts is likely to reference.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  3. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    And why would the DJD then kill everyone on the Lost Light? Vos would kill himself, before he became himself. That's what he should be thinking, not knowing that ... argh.. wait... he knows there is a duplicate. Damn. I already thought Vos could be Rung when I saw them the first or second time. But after all the time later now... I have a hard time seeing Rung turn to Vos. Funny, isn't it?

4. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I just had a disturbing thought.

What if after all this settles, whatever happens to set things mostly back to normal ends up turning Megatron into the new Armada-esque version? After all, they did pull something like that with Starscream.

5. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Any reason not to buy his bland G1 paint scheme is something I'm in favor for.

6. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that was mostly done because the deluxes were supposed to come with comics so it was imperative to have Starscream in the body for the purposes of the pack-in. Megatron and Armada Megatron are both coming out at the same time and neither comes with a comic. If we see Armada Megatron at all, it will probably be as a background character of someone sharing a body similar to Megatron.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    MTMTE is safe from toy-sell-dumping.

Plus, Starscream still looked like Starscream in his Armada body. Megatron would be totally different.

8. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I decided to dip back into the storyline after, what, six months of not reading this book? There's actually a fairly decent amount of action in this issue (as opposed to non-stop babbling by the crew standing in for a plot), and at least most of the inane banter is in service to the story as Rodimus checks in with the various members of his team who are scouring the past for Brainstorm, who is trying to kill Megatron in the distant past, which is wreaking havoc with space and time. It's not the most original plotline, honestly, but as someone's who has spent months griping that every Autobot on the Lost Light ought to be gunning for Megatron, I can't complain. It's certainly an extreme way to go about it though. Of course, the plot synopsis on the inside cover describes Brainstorm as a Decepticon double agent, so it looks like the idiot Autobots still don't have enough initiative to kill Megatron. They've got to leave it to the Cons.

So Brainstorm's briefcase is a time machine. I didn't suspect that, I'll readily admit.

And yes, I'm amazed to see Riptide, Cyclonus and Brainstorm all transform. Who knew these guys still had alt modes?

Rewind annoys me just by being on the page. The original died, and bringing him back as a quantum duplicate still feels like cheating. There was a time when dead Transformers in IDW's books stayed dead, but we're well past that point now. I think seeing Rewind on the cover of issue 33 was the last straw that actually made me decide to drop the book, after the poor handling of the Megatron plotline.

Overall: I'm reminded of both what I used to like about this series and what I really came to dislike. It's a better than average issue of MTMTE, but I don't have a lot of hope that Roberts has dropped the things about this series that so annoyed me.

9. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    About Rewind, I think him and Chromedome are being written fantastically, if not pleasantly, at the moment. Chromedome is trying to pull him clumsily and callously into a vacant spot with little consideration and Rewind is wanting to be pretty much anywhere but here. Different timeline with a different CE and potentially horrific consequences? He'll take it.

It's hard to tell if this is Rewind not accepting this Chromedome as his Chromedome or if he's genuinely just very angry with him about the Overlord affair, but he's being downright cruel to him in this issue with the remark about never really having spoken to him honestly about Dominus in the past (even before any fallout).

And, these are bots at war for millions of years and all, but I would think Rewind would be suffering from some PTSD and shouldn't really be part of this mission. Rodimus doesn't learn lessons. He's taken someone who's trying to deal with an alternate reality, having survived a massacre and the brutal loss of his partner, probably dissociating as is, and put him in a situation where reality is in flux and everything could be better if you got hold of the magical briefcase. If Rewind doesn't crack it'll be a miracle really.

10. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this Rewind is temporary. I'm betting he's around long enough for us to learn about what really happened to Dominus Ambus and/or Chromedome's deep dark secret, then he'll be dead again. Twice the angst!

11. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see this much as to what is going with Rewind/Chromedome. I think Chromedome is seeking hold to Rewind of the old relationship prior to Overlord.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think that as well.

13. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Yep. I'm interested in seeing where this all leads. For the first time ever, I genuinely give a damn about their relationship.

14. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I agree with you, I think in Rodimus' mind, Rewind is vital to the mission because of his vast Database about what has happened in the past. If anyone would be an expert on Cybertronian history, it would be Rewind. Rodimus is very much a leader who focus' on the mission first and his troops well being second. I think what he doesn't realize is that they would respect him more if he cared about them, as opposed to just trying to constantly impress them.

15. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And Megatron must really despise the mission because he has to rely on Rodimus.

16. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

Yeah - I figured it was NOT what Rodimus and the time hopping crew thought he was doing going back in time for.

17. Spartan0996

Spartan0996 Island Devil

btw from the twitter of the man himself:

Also:

RIP James Robert's Shreddies, you will be missed.

18. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I think he cares about his troops- remember his guilt with the Doubledealer thing and the squad he lost there- but at the same time, he tends to think of his people as ones who can get out of their own messes just like he can, and/or once they're actually in trouble he'll be able to swoop in and save them, because he's just that awesome.

19. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Maybe that comment is the one I heard ( that I started a thread about ) that made me think the series was ending early. He was referring to the end of season 2 but didn't clarify so it sounded like series end.

Since that thread got closed before I could get back to it, I'll just say here that I linked to the wrong source. I relistened to the Transmissions podcast interview and it wasn't the one I was thinking of. I need to figure it out, but I believe he did interviews with other podcasts at TFCon, it's just a matter of figuring out which one. Though I think the clarification that was quoted above is in reference to the comment I remember hearing.

20. Spartan0996

Spartan0996 Island Devil

^ I remember listening to a podcast where he mentioned ending it, then went into a tangent about Brainstorm's briefcase. They were unrelated, but I can see how if you weren't paying attention, you'd think that.