MTMTE 31 discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by payres, Jul 9, 2014.

1. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  2. Wadeledge

Wadeledge Wrecker

Rojo's art didn't stand out as impossibly off as much as normal. I liked the murder mystery plot though, worked real well, good cliffhanger at the end, can't wait for 32 now!

3. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Absolutely great writing. Art was good, but off-model.

-Loved the use of Roll Call pages
    -The made-to-order soldier is a great concept. It's so logical too. If you have shady leaders needing soldiers in wartime, why wouldn't this happen?
    -Nightbeat is reminding me of Dr. House (and thus Holmes) as he cared more about solving the puzzle than saving people.

4. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A subpar boring Mtmte book is still better then reading anything else.
    Lot of info dump
    Story did not need a full issue
    And the art.... I'll just call it a decline

• Like Like x 1
  5. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Milne's back next issue

6. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

Bit confused about something. If all the other shuttles disappeared, what happened to First Aid, and the other people who joined after DC who went not in the Rodpod?

7. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Roberts made an OFSTED reference??? Roll on lunchtime so that I can download this beauty!

8. AdyCarter

AdyCarter Mentalist Conspiracies

As Magnus explained, all the other people, and all the other shuttles dissapeared too.

The RodPod didn't for the same reason as the people left on it didn't.

9. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The shuttles took then other new joiners with them.

Is that a massive hint to a long running plot point on page 3 in the hand dialogue:

WHO'S briefcase full of cash?

10. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

The other shuttles all came with the ship, I'm guessing, but the Rodpod was built after take-off. That's how I'm explaining its continued visibility. Not sure what's happening with First Aid and the guys they rescued from Delphi, though.

11. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked the issue, but I can't help but feel it was a bit 'wasted'. Or a more kind word maybe: filler?

As soon as Crosscut started talking about his new play, Info Creep, I immediately assumed it was a meta reference to this issue, and how the disappearances would be explained by rereading the issue, trying to find clues and not relying on preconceived ideas.

But no, in the end
    Nightbeat solves the order of people disappearing
    , and then there's the last page setup for the next issue. I enjoyed the Roll Call pages with all the data on characters, but seeing as they weren't needed to solve the puzzle in the end anyway, I feel those pages were squandered - two additional pages of space might have allowed for a slightly better issue.

All the character moments and world building were pretty damn good though, as usual - and that's so fun about this book. I love the idea of MTO - I wouldn't say it's a genius 'new' idea, but it was a very probable and logical idea I'm glad finally got into a book. Of course they'd ramp up robot production during wartime. :) 

-Megatron's hand language with Ravage suggest Megatron's switch wasn't so genuine after all, but I feel this is one of those info creep bits..we expect Megatron to eventually switch sides, so that's how we're reading it - but their conversation can be interpreted differently.
    And lol..'Ravege'.

-The standoff started out pretty weird..Tailgate pulling out a gun on Megatron...because? I understand: the guy has been in coma for months and has missed out on the faction switch, so he still has an 'outdated' view on Megatron - that combined with his newfound bravado after stopping Tyrest. Still, it felt a bit random?
    Once it was underway it was pretty good though, especially the part with Cyclonus...and Hound being the one discovering Ravage (yay, cartoon homage!).

Still a fun issue, I know my post will now come across as bitching..but I had fun!

On the art: oh well..guess I've grown accustomed to the constant switching between artists by now. Not a big fan of Rojo but I never found the panels too cluttered, unreadable or distracting. One thing I am bothered with slightly is this artist's tencendy to go 'fuck it, I'll draw what I want to'. Megatron has a pretty distinct helmet shape, and he just decides to 'round off' the top - all the while still including those screwholes on the back.
    Also annoyed by the obviously and uninspired wooden looking tables and chairs in the flashbacks...all in the same size and shape, too - but hey! Milne once drew a scene that place in an all-American diner, so let's not scapegoat one artist. :) 

Anyone have a clue about Huffer's 'Cyberutopian' status/condition? Is he suffering from the idea that he might be a Knight/Cyberutopian reincarnated or something, or am I missing something? Thanks!

I guess they fell into space, or more probable, disappeared with the ship as it vanished.

edit: oh, totally forgot this: love how Swerve's condition is logorrhea, quite literally 'a diarrhea of words'! :lol 

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    This issue sure was... something?

A lot of it just felt like random things/conversations randomly happening for no real reason. A lot of it felt info-dumpey. And although I understand what they were going for, the cast pages felt like huge wastes of space.

There's also some pretty sloppy editing issues too: "I've got him. He unconscious." seriously?

The art. Could've been better, could've been worse. Feel Rojo has improved since Dark Cybertron, but it's still not great.

Eh... some good dialogue, but aside from that, this was definitely one of the weaker MTMTE issues.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  13. maku098

maku098 indeed a wise choice

News Credits:
    Or, it could be the fact that this is the SECOND Rodpod :p 

14. TheSpartanD

TheSpartanD Minicon Orphanage Owner

I think this issue was rushed due to it being Nightbeat's pack in comic, there's just so many errors (for example: "Ravege" and "I seems") and the fact that Rojo is on the art (he did the art for most of the other pack in comics).

15. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Yikes, I didn't even notice those.

This is not the quality I've come to expect from IDW's TF comics, especially MTMTE. Come on, guys. :/

Wouldn't be surprised if the Nightbeat pack-in deal caused this issue to be rushed, unfortunately. Definitely kinda seems like it.

16. 0JazzMeister0

0JazzMeister0 Autobot Jo

News Credits:
    The RodPod is Version 2. They built it in the 6 months before the Lost Light set off again, so it's not considered part of the "original" crew. Interesting about what might have happened to First Aid since Ratchet disappeared but left Pharma's hands behind... But it could be that those who joined the Lost Light later on, like Skids, First Aid etc would have been the next targets in the order that they joined? The issue just ended before that started happening perhaps.

I don't think the additional roll-call pages with all the information was a waste at all. I know somewhere down the line, something will happen and we'll all be scrambling for this issue to look up that exact information on the character. James never just throws things in for no reason. Could they all even be hinting that one of them has certain traits that might make him/her Rodimus' eventual killer?

Did Drift go missing from wherever he was then? What about the bots who were in the original crew, that remained on Cybertron this time around? Did they start vanishing? Or was it something about the particular vicinity that the Lost Light was in that started the disappearances?

And a reference to Scattergun... Interesting. Hoist knew Chromedome's ex-Conjunx Endura.

Dominus Ambus mentioned again. Ofsted XVII (17?). the Lost Light previously being called "U1" (sounds like "you won" when you say it out loud). Megatron is chirolinguistic, and so is Ravage it seems.

This is most definitely a set-up issue; it's giving us a lot of clues, possibly for what's to come in the next few issues, given what Alex has been tweeting about drawing a veritable horror movie...

17. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Although the story would make it a good one (barring the fact it ends on a cliffhanger), there's no way this is going to be the Nightbeat pack-in comic - he'll be coming with a bit of Dark Cybertron. The cover just appears to be IDW burning off art, and this issue made for an appropriate venue to use the Nightbeat cover.

18. MechaV

MechaV Not as bad as you think.

News Credits:
    Too many plot holes. There were tons of bots that joined later than just the ones on the Rod Pod.

Also the Ravage thing was troubling. Megs knew.

Art stank and there were grammatical errors everywhere.

19. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Did anyone else think that when Magnus' avatar appeared huge that everyone was just shrinking instead of vanishing? I thought that for a second.

20. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Couldn't agree more. I know some people are calling this issue filler and all I can say is shame on you. We should all know by now that nothing in MTMTE is just a throwaway line. It all circles back round in the end.

And the world building! Glorious! It's one of my favourite things about MTMTE so I particularly enjoyed this issue. Naming conventions, religion and even a little bit of info about Forged Vs Cold Constructed. There is so much going on in this issue.

It's not really a plot hole when you place it against what we already know. Like others have pointed out the current Rodpod is not the original so it's unaffected by whatever is happening but the people and objects inside are. The other shuttles were taken and it's contents along with it.

The Effect(we really need a name for this thing. The Takening? Robot Rapture?) It took the entire Lost Light and if the crew hadn't evacuated it would have taken them along with it.

Little irked by the spelling errors but it's not something that ruins the comic. As for the art... We've really been spoiled by Milne. Apart from the fugly character models I was baffled by Tailgate changing height several times throughout the issue. Everyone was having scale problems. BUT it isn't the worst art I've ever seen. Good attempts were made when it came to body language and expressions, and the panels space was well used.

As a UK citizen, I was getting quite a chuckle out of all the references to the UK educational system. A-Levels, OFSTED. Hee