MT Computron options, mistransformations, fanmodes & add-ons

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by TFao, Jul 2, 2015.

1. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

I'd been meaning to do this for a while now and just never got around to it. Finally got some time to snap some pics, so here we go.

Just a reminder if you don't already know, the idea of this thread is the same as the ones I started for FP Brut & Menasor, to share ideas for any different options (combinations, mistransformations,
    fanmodes, add-ons, etc.) that you've discovered. Also to show some options for faction symbol placement as well, since this set in particular seems to be difficult to find good spots for them.

So if you have done something different with any of the individual technobots, in any and all of their modes (alt, bot, combined), please share it here.
    Also, any tips on making transformation or combination easier should also be posted here as well. And include pics whenever possible!

I'll just take the figs one at a time like I did in the two previous threads, starting first with...

Celeritas (Lightspeed)

[​IMG]

First let me focus on the one real letdown of this figure. It was a feature that was shown early on but obviously didn't make it to the final production.
    I'm of course talking about the leg wheels not being able to lock in place in botmode.

[​IMG]

As you can see above, I went with just about the simplest way to address this problem... double sided tape. It's not a perfect fix by any means, biggest problem being the wheels no longer spin freely.
    You can force them to spin if you roll it on carpet or whatever and the adhesive will still hold up for a while but you will eventually need to reapply a new piece.

[​IMG]

I cant state enough how much this really helps make the legs look "finished" as opposed to how the floppy tires left it looking. The guns look much better with the wheel clips on them instead of having to leave them attached to the legs.
    I think I can tuck the tape in a bit more to help hide the white better. As it is they don't show too badly, but I think I'll try to redo them.

[​IMG]

Moving on to the next mod I have done. As you can see above, I was able to take a bit of a chunk out of each of the guns to allow for storage on the legs, sort of holster style.
    They plug into either leg using the lower hole where the combiner foot attaches.

[​IMG]

Due to the kibble, mostly on the arm, he cant really grab and draw the guns on his own FP Defender style, which is a bit of a bummer.
    But I really appreciate it when there is weapon storage in botmode other than being forced to hold them in hand.

[​IMG]

In the pic above you can see the little notch I took out of one of the tabs on the side of the gun. Also you can see where it plugs in on the side of the leg.

[​IMG]

Finally, I'll end with some altmode pics to show the 'Bot symbol placement. This guy was by far the easiest of the bunch to find spots for them.
    I went with one on the roof of the car, which seems to be the default spot for most. I chose to use a small gray movie symbol. I like the contrast of the red behind it.

[​IMG]

I also went ahead and gave him a clear back/silver outlined one on the nose of the car. I actually wanted one on the spoiler but it just seemed like over kill being right next to the one on the roof.
    From this top view you can also see the two chunks I took out of the guns for the holster mod.

[​IMG]

I was going to add a couple on the side of the car but decided against it since I thought it would look a little goofy in combined mode. You can see the little white in the wheel well, too.

Overall I must say that with these couple of things addressed this guy has really grown on me. He's at least my 3rd favorite of the group, possibly #2. The transformation was a bit strange and awkward the first time I remember doing it. But it is unique and pretty fun once you get familiar. There is quite a bit of kibble but nothing that really hinders articulation, and I really enjoy posing him.

Not sure which Technobot I will do next but I'll try to get another one done by tomorrow. Until then I hope you liked what you saw here and please share some of your own finds and thoughts on this guy and the set as a whole.

Also, here's a link to the FP Brut thread...

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ions-mistransformations-fanmodes-add-ons.html

And one to the FP Menasor thread...

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ions-mistransformations-fanmodes-add-ons.html

Just in case you missed them.

2. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've swapped the hands around so that I can combine Computron more like the cartoon with Afterburner and Strafe switched around... thats it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

^^^I've done the same. As soon as I got it, in fact.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Looks like this thread is getting a lot of looks but not too much in the way of audience participation. Maybe I took to long to start and missed the window of excitement. Hopefully as the thread moves along the comments and pictures will pick up some steam.

Anyway, on to the next Technobot...

SonicDrill (Nosecone)

[​IMG]

The first and easiest thing I have done to him is I gave him Quantron's left hand while in botmode. I figured that since he's gonna have a bigass drill on one arm he may as well have a gorilla hand on the other.

[​IMG]

As you can see attachment is really simple. It just slides on the existing gun handle that SonicDrill grips with his standard hands.

[​IMG]

Here's a front view of the connection. The cool thing is that it adds another point of articulation for the wrist. The right hand of Quantron can also be attached this way but it's a much tighter fit and doesn't work as well.

[​IMG]

Next up is another relatively simple mod involving his two hidden arms. They work pretty well as they come, in that they can actually fit a lot of smaller gun and melee weapon handles just by sliding them in. Of course that doesn't include handles like the one on the sniper rifle in the pic above.

[​IMG]

So what I did was take an exacto knife and sliced in between the "fingers" so that you can now fit that closed style handle in there, and even some larger ones as well.

[​IMG]

And I'll finish with a couple altmode pics to show where I chose to put the 'Bot symbols.

[​IMG]

The one that is visible in altmode ends up on his lower leg in botmode, and this one that is covered in altmode under the guns ends up on his shoulder in botmode, as you probably already noticed in the previous pics.

[​IMG]

I was toying with the idea of adding a clear backed/white outlined one on his red cockpit window but decided against it.

So that's all I have for SonicDrill for now. He was my clear favorite of the group ever since early proto pics were shown. I really love his botmode, though he is a little back heavy and his head has a very limited range of motion. The drill & gorilla hands are probably what still keep him firmly entrenched in my top two from this group.

I haven't decided on who's up next, but it'll probably be one of the flyers. Mostly because I just haven't come up with much of anything for Overheat yet. As always, I hope you found something that you like in this thread. Please feel free to chime in with your own thoughts or improvements for this figure or the group as a whole.

5. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Alright, the next Technobot up is...

Metalstorm (Scattorshot)

[​IMG]

The first thing I wanted to share was the alternate place I found to connect Quantron's feet in individual botmode. MT's intended place for them on Metalstorm was fine and all, but I know a lot of people wanted another storage option for them.

[​IMG]

So I ended up fitting them on the back of his shoulders, very similar to how FP handled their storage for Colossus' feet on Onslaught. In this config. with the canon attached to his back simultaneously, there really is a bunch of stuff bumping into each other.

[​IMG]

In this shot from the back, and with the canon removed, you can get a better idea how it fits together. Still a bit of a tight fit, but much more room to move around.

[​IMG]

These next couple of pics are to show how they connect to the shoulders. Very simply the connection point for the combiner arms are the trick here. And being able to use the swivels and ratchets really give you a lot of mobility to help situate them in different poses. Of course with the large canon attached you lose a lot of the range of motion.

[​IMG]

And in this pic you can see how the orange piece and hinge on the foot is what secures them onto the combiner arm connectors. Once in place you can use the ratchets to make them hug tighter to the shoulders to hold them in place better.

[​IMG]

So if you want the combiner feet/boosters on his shoulders, what to do with the canon instead of keeping it on his back? Well as you can see in this pic, as well as the first pic in this post, you can get creative and have Metalstorm wield it himself. Rotate the kibble on his wrist and you have the option of having it under slung (1st pic) or up ontop of his arm, sorta Megs-ish.

[​IMG]

Here's a closer up pic of the 'Bot symbols I used on Metalstorm. I know it has been said many times that Maketoys didn't really leave a lot of spots for them on these guys, but I really like the look of the big symbol on the forearm. I tried a clear back/ white outline first but ended up going with another movie insignia instead. I just liked the contrast better. As for the one on his crotch, it is a red back/yellow outline symbol from Repro's iGear Rager set that I didn't use.

Last pic for now, because my camera died. I'll have to take some altmode snapshots later. Hope you guys liked some of the things you've seen here. And if you did, please leave some comments. For some reason this thread has over 300 views but only one post from someone other than myself...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lodril

Lodril Poet of Destruction

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'd like to say I had some clever mistransformation I'd figured out, but like the others said, I basically just swapped the hands and called it a day.

The bit with the feet on Metalstorm's back looks great! I'm going to give that a try the next time I put him into bot mode.

7. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

Darn, you got me, I'm a lurker. :thumbs2: 

8. Stokerholme

Stokerholme Blestforce

Sorry for not replying, but I am watching with interest for ideas. I haven't got anything to share myself, as I follow the basic instructions and I'm fairly please with Quantron. But I learn all sorts of things in these threads so...

LurkLurkLurk

9. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comment gents. I appreciate the lurkers as well, lol. Better to get views than nothing at all.:D 

Glad to hear you liked the feet on Metalstorm's back Lodril. Hopefully I can snap some more pics tomorrow.

10. beigoma

beigoma Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

Lurker here taking notes. I'm thinking of getting Utopia or Quantron soon so this thread is much appreciated. :) 

11. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

^^^I can't speak for Utopia since I haven't seen it in person (if I had the cash I would've pulled the trigger) but Quantron has been fantastic. Happy to hear you're enjoying the thread though.

Well I was finally able to snap some photos of Metalstorm's altmode. Pretty much only to share 'Bot symbol placement.

[​IMG]

So in this first pic you can see that I applied a clear back/white outlined 'Bot symbol on the gray section of the large cannon. When in combined mode it ends up on the back of Quantron.

[​IMG]

In this second pic you get a close-up look at the red back/white outlined 'Bot symbol that I placed on the white portion on either side of the fuselage. In combined form,
    or on Metalstorm's botmode, when you separate the bow part from the base (that covers the combined head), these two end up staying on the back pack.

[​IMG]

And finally I just wanted to point out the gatling gun that I placed on top. It is the same one shown in the earlier pics of SonicDrill being wielded by his secondary arms.
    It is from an Acid Rain figure. I just see this altmode as a larger gun ship, so I figured why not give him more guns?

12. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Next Technobot up is... Overheat (Afterburner)

[​IMG]

This one, again, is gonna be pretty much just for insignia placement since I haven't really come up with anything creative for this guy.
    As you can see, I went with a red backed/white outlined symbol on his abdomen.

[​IMG]

Also, I prefer that he wield the missile pods with his hands, underslung style. I do use the shoulder mounts, but more for storage.

[​IMG]

Another option is to plug both missile pods in one hand, one over, one under.

[​IMG]

Lots of kibble hindering posing options but if you fool around with positioning you may be able to find something agreeable with your tastes.

[​IMG]

One of the first things I tend to look for on a fig, is weapon storage in botmode. Nothing hugely creative, just plugging in the sniper rifle into the back of the shoulder.

[​IMG]

I'll finish off with an altmode pic to show the 'Bot symbol choices I went with. So I chose to use a large clear backed/white outlined symbol to go right on the front.
    I really like how it looks with the painted, silver details showing through. I also went with a couple red backed/whitew outlined symbols on each missile pod.

13. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

Nice! Keep them coming! The Autobot logo placement is very tasteful.

14. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comment! Happy to hear you like it.

15. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    Just now discovering this thread. Lots of fun little tips, but I'm liking the big fist on Sonic Drill the most...very cool looking in conjunction with the drill. Plus, like you TFao, SD is my favorite bot of the bunch, always has been.

I've only gotten around to adding one decal (autobot emblem on combined modes chest) because I haven't de-combined them since putting them together. You've reminded me that I have to get around to it, though.

I also painted the combiner thighs/Metalstorms lower legs, white to be more representative of the G1 set. Also made a head riser because I didn't like how sunken down the head was.

16. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In terms of symbol placement:

[​IMG]

(ignore the upper right chest placement on Sonic Drill. I haven't transformed them since release and regretted it as soon as I combined them)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. TraitorJ

TraitorJ Well-Known Member

I'm also lurking, as i don't have Quantron yet. Hoping to pick it up at TFCon this weekend. It's at the top of my list. Once i do, I'll be trying these out and hopefully posting my own.

18. divinecomedy

divinecomedy JAB-A-WOOOKIE

News Credits:
    I wish someone would fix Cauliflower head. He's a total eyesore.

19. liuserboi

liuserboi Well-Known Member

Mine just shipped. The whole Hellboy look on sonic drill looks fun.

Also lol @ cauliflower head

20. Artereis

Artereis Well-Known Member

I like his head. I don't personally understand the hate for it.