MS-Toys legend scale not Menasor / Stunticons

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The limbs have no reason to cost that much. They're carbots which should put them in the $30-35 range, not the $45 (Soundblaster plus Laserbeak) or $50 (Soundwave plus Rumble and Autoscout) range. Motormaster, if he were alone, should be in the $40-50 range. With his trailer, I would expect him to be anywhere from $90 to $100. $150 is just too much.

Magic Square Trailbreaker is one of my favorites and is pretty much ideal. Magic Square Optimus is a good example of what I'd want from a more high end figures with the accessories and trailer and such. Extra accessories are nice but I don't need them if they're just going to drive the cost up. I do like some of the innovations MST had made since their early days: in particular I like the way that hands fold away on Soundwave and the Seekers, and I like Soundwave's and Reflector's leg transformations. But I also feel like Soundwave was pushing the limit of what I want to pay for (and that's saying nothing of their bastard decision to bundle Laserbeak with Soundblaster). Megatron pushed it further but I justified it because he's special. He's the leader and he came with all those fun accessories. But I don't want to keep paying $50-$60 for legends figures. I'd rather they stick to the $30-40 range.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Charlock

Charlock Well-Honed Blender

There's nothing to chill about. No need to read so much drama where there isn't any.

Whether we believe MST and IF overprice their figures or not, it has no effect on anyone else's opinions. Us believing the set should be cheaper also has very little bearing on how MST chooses to price their figures. I doubt anyone that shares this opinion expects the price tag to change because of it.

It's a pretty wide spread opinion, if this thread and MST's Weibo page is anything to go by.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DrCalligari

DrCalligari Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks a bunch for the detailed answer :) 

I have a follow up question. The legends market absolutely thrives on repaints and minor retools. It's going to be more difficult to get that sweet, sweet repaint cash with a set like this. Maybe a G2 version. A Shattered Glass set perhaps? I honestly don't know if there is an "official" deco for a set of SG Stunticons. Do we think this lack of options could add to the cost of this set?

4. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN unknown member

no drama? sure, but there's definitely tension in this hot debate. :rolleyes:  i was just pointing out some facts and asked a few questions on price comparison of IF combiner and this new MS one. instead i get an answer of IF combiners are overpriced.

anyhoot, i'm bowing out of this debate and will stop asking any more questions on ppl's opinion. maybe i'll pick up a figure or two out of the set if they tickle my fancy, but most likely i won't be picking up this complete combiner anyway as i don't think i'm that fond of this to merit spending the price on it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  5. RickyLeeSTF

RickyLeeSTF Copper Age Collector

News Credits:
    Agree with all of this.

Also, what is the price people put on completing a rather large chunk in the G1 roster for their collection?

Around $200 for a team of Stunticons that I can display individually or as Menasor, two versions of him at that? Sure. I’m not buying another Menasor. I don’t own a Menasor currently. This one time purchase looks great to me.

• Like Like x 2
  6. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This is what's kept me from buying the New Age Megatron. Between the base figure and the replacement legs, I'm paying close to what I used to for Masterpiece figures. That's absurd. The figure looks amazing, but I'm not paying Masterpiece prices for Legends figure; even if Masterpiece prices have since ballooned.

• Like Like x 3
  7. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well this is excellent news.

Looks like I'll be getting those nifty extra bits and bobs that'll allow multiple Menasor configurations, because I have no issue with the price. Don't know why so many people are hung up on what the "right" price for a legend-scale toy is - the materials cost cents, the real costs lie in design and production, and they don't change much with the size of the toy.

• Like Like x 2
  8. IronMagnus

IronMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aren't the limbs like $56 for a two-pack, making them around $28 each?

• Like Like x 11
  9. Norita man

Norita man Well-Known Member

This.
    It's like they have decided it is too expensive regardless of simple fact and fair comparison with previous release

• Like Like x 2
  10. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

for the premium priced legends that are popping up. i have come to expect the same amount painted details and bonus shit that i get from IF figures for free.

no one builds a more premium legends bot or tosses in more free stuff than IF. when i see companies charging way more than an IF bot would run. it makes me pause and lose interest. especially when it comes with piss ass stuff that i have no interest in.

but that is just me personally and i know from watching this board. that other people simply love that shit and eat it up. so to each their own.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Dutchy79

Dutchy79 Well-Known Member

To each their own indeed.
    I have nothing with IDW so IF is nothing for me + the outrages aftermarket prices are just crazy.
    I can still get Skywarp and Thundercracker for $40/45 but good luck picking up a Starscream :D 
    234 in euro for Sideswipe and sunstreaker or 100 for red alert on aliexpress. no thank you.
    It should stay fun, that is why I collect MFT.
    I did decided to get the entire set of MST Soundblaster/Soundwave.
    Just so I have a complete Soundwave + tape core, Soundblaster will go with the Headmasters.
    $ 110 total for 2 bots and 7 tape bots is actually not that bad, just sucks I had to get Soundblaster for laserbeak but now I have it.
    I kinda like the dark look more then I tought.
    Was counting on 30 per car and 80 for Motormaster, if a site has it for $213, I know the stores on Aliexpress will be a bit cheaper.
    I just got the MST tapes for $30 and not $40, like show z and other sites have them listed.
    Menasor at 25cm will be perfect for display not to far from weijang Devy

• Like Like x 1
  12. Autobrat Leader

Autobrat Leader Bratwurst in Disguise

So, my issue isn't exactly the price being too high, since it is in the ballpark of other gestalts. My worry is that the nylon plastic will be an issue at this scale. I love the nylon because it's "unbreakable". But that's because of the flex and it's unproven as being structurally sound at a larger scale. The prototype video was concerning because everything kept falling apart. Of course it's a proto, so it will hopefully be tuned in. I don't want to shell out $200+ prior to reviews, but if I don't I miss out on the extra OX shit (I think). I hate feeling forced to take a leap, so I'll sit here and bitch.

• Like Like x 4
  13. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    Didn't they also use the same material on their MP scale Optimus Prime? I understand your concern but I'm sure it'll be fine :) 

14. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

oh you can best believe MS menasor will be one floppy bitch. you can only do so much with pins and no ratchets. but like you i will most likely be in as i want the OX version most of all.

that is unless IF does their on version sooner than later.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Autobrat Leader

But OP is a solid unit. When car bots and other things have to plug into each other and those tabs have to support weight, I'm concerned it will create issues.

• Like Like x 4
  16. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    Ah ok, yeah that makes sense. Hopefully it'll be fine.

17. Autobrat Leader

I both hope for this and don't. I love the Tarnation combiner, so I'm confident they will do Menasor justice. But I literally hate IF carbots (even though I own most of them. Totally uninspired alt-modes and the shoulder articulation on 90% of IF figures is garbage.

18. Megawillbot

Megawillbot Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t be too concerned about the car weights, the figures are super light

19. Norita man

Norita man Well-Known Member

My understanding is that menasor design by itself makes the limbs bit kind if useless.
    The trailer and motormaster make the entire head and body of menasor and the other just attached to the already formed limb in car modes like magnets on a fridge. The cars has absolutely no combiner articulation and even split in 2 for forarms and upper arms.

It is quite different than like of devastator or bruticus. Therefor it should be less risky no?
    I even come to think that maybe that is the reason they choose menasor in the first place lol

• Like Like x 3
  20. RickyLeeSTF

RickyLeeSTF Copper Age Collector

News Credits:
    Most likely the trailer is not nylon plastic and a more traditionally used hard plastic to account for the weight.

• Like Like x 1