MPM-6 Ironhide

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by is456, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Hexatron

Hexatron Plastic crack junky

It's really not that bad, you just have to pay full attention to what you are doing. It's not a "mess with while watching a movie" kind of figure that's for sure.

• Like Like x 5
  2. RinAldo

RinAldo Well-Known Member

After seeing a ridiculous comparison in a previous post (where the DOTM Leader was also badly transformed), I thought it was right make a correct comparison with both models well transformed, and evaluate the merits and defects of both! In picture 1, with Ironhide CGI in the center as a reference, it is immediately evident that the structure of the DOTM Leader's bust is more correct, with the two sections of the Topkick bonnet in the right "V" inclination, and since they are not directly connected to the wheels, but are independent thanks to two joints, this allows a more correct arrangement, with the wheels free to position themselves adherent on the sides of the chest. Instead, the MPM-6, has bonnet and wheels connected, and the more the two sections of the bonnet are moved upward, the more the wheels move away from the bust; then I noticed in some photos that the two sections of the bonnet can also rotate forward, but this moves the wheels farther from the bust. The DOTM Leader also shows the presence of the two hook-shaped structures on the sides of the robot, which in Ironhide CGI have the function of "blocking the wheels" in robot mode... non-existent in MPM-6! Another characteristic detail of Ironhide CGI, are the cannons hooked on the forearms... and FWI-2 upgrade kit with a notable "touch of class" to the DOTM Leader; instead, in my opinion, this is the real weak point of the MPM-6... the cannons hooked on the folded panels (of the sides of Topkick) which in addition to not being in line with Ironhide CGI, on an aesthetic level are a real "fist on the eye"! Then there is another detail that I think no one has noticed... the designers Takara, have put the tank of the left cannon, to the side of the Gatling cannon (right)... I do not know if by mistake or not, but certainly not in line with Ironhide CGI! As a transformation, the legs of the MPM-6 are in line with Ironhide CGI, with for example, the rear wheels of the Topkick positioned inside the thighs of the robot, but it is clear that the legs of the DOTM Leader have a different transformation; even in the backpack structure the MPM-6 is better designed! The head of the DOTM Leader, is well crafted, but the head of the MPM-6 is definitely much more like Ironhide CGI... the total coloring of the robot is even better, since for the DOTM Leader, Hasbro has used some colors not in line with Ironhide CGI... but look at the photo 2, where with a "total black" color, the DOTM Leader is simply magnificent... not to mention its larger dimensions (24 cm), which overhang the "small" MPM-6 (19 cm)! I agree that "tastes are tastes"... but at the moment my DOTM Leader, I would not change it with any other Ironhide on the market!

P.S. For those who want more information on the DOTM Leader with FWI-2, you can read my review on the appropriate page, looking for: "Ironhide DOTM Leader with FWI-2, total combination"!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Georgii10235

Georgii10235 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    A tip for conveying information is separating them into cohesive paragraphs, one big block of words is less engaging and will scare most people off from reading it such as myself. I've looked at the photos though, interesting to see these discrepancies which I've never known of. Also MPM-6 is obviously meant to scale with the other MPM figures (for the most part), so of course a leader-class figure would be larger than it. The way leader Ironhide is proportioned and handles kibble is less than sophisticated, however I do agree the forearm panels is one of the things which definitely breaks the aesthetic of the mold (on MPM-6), especially when it's where you attach the canons but it's not a deal-breaker for me since he has to transform somehow, so these compromises exist.

Never noticed V-shaped bust on Ironhide, the posture is close enough for most people to not notice though and as for the torso hooks, it's not really blocking the wheels on the leader Ironhide but it is nice that it's there. It definitely adds bulkiness to his silhouette and it's the only thing missing on MPM-6's torso. Now that you mention it, the canon accuracy is glaring considering how Takara gets 3D files from ILM, I wonder how they got them mixed up but it's minor to me - although it's glaring in the way that they got it wrong, not saying it looks bad or noticeable. Overall I think MPM-6 is the most movie accurate and WOULD be the definitive best figure of Ironhide vs leader DOTM Ironhide (which I personally don't like at all) given he hadn't had major QC issues. Other than that it's good to know you understand you can have your own opinion on something and not have others change it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah but shit ugly blue legs and horrible proportions

• Like Like x 7
  5. Georgii10235

Georgii10235 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    They're less than stellar but you didn't have to be rude about it haha.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    mpm is better then leader

• Like Like x 10
  7. gambitprime

gambitprime Well-Known Member

Thanks guys ^^

• Like Like x 2
  8. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After putting this guy down for months due to an ever growing dislike for it the more I handled it, I recently picked it back up...he still ends up disappointing me.

He looks fantastic sitting on shelf though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 parked somewhere on Electric Av.

News Credits:
    I love how MPM threads always drift to this kind of conclusion: somebody trying to vehemently defend a past figure. Read whatever that garble of text is above, literally the only praise for MPM-6 is its head design and legs. "Evaluate the defects and merits of both!", yet literally boils praise of the MPM-6 down to just the head and legs.

It's true that each figure has its strengths and weaknesses, but to dismiss the achievements of a figure/how far engineering has evolved on the whole is laughable. Reasonably, people should have higher standards of more expensive figures (like what kind of expensive figure doesn't have the ability to tab properly?), but at this point I think some people just can't be placated.

• Like Like x 5
  10. RinAldo

RinAldo Well-Known Member

Regardless of when I said in my previous post, I'm actually also convinced that at the moment, the MPM-6 is the best model of Ironhide... but those structural details that I have highlighted (for example, cannons not hooked on the forearms), for sure, they will never convince me to buy it! I know very well that the DOTM Leader is not perfect... but I like it both for its various accessories (mech tech), and for the versatility of disposition of the weapons of the FWI-2! A model that offers a lot more fun, than any other Ironhide on the market!

• Like Like x 1
  11. floriol

floriol New Member

So guys, everyone's been talking about what this guy did to stiffen the joints/pegs but nobody seems to have noticed that he actually managed to get the top part of the hood to align perfectly in alt mode. It's the first time I've seen that on this figure (excluding the KO) and believe me, I've seen them all. Anyone got any idea how that happened?

• Like Like x 1
  12. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The hood section on one of mine fits flush as long as I do it first and hold it together while transforming the rest of cab section. My other copies are lost causes. they are manufactured with rivets (hood and arms) being ever so slightly off that even if I got them to rest in place they would just correct themselves at the slightest touch.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Caminus Prime

Caminus Prime *sigh* STILL waiting for MPM Ratchet

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Do you guys know if Takaras mpm-6 is better???

I only heard a few good feedbacks on it here regarding the tab issues and I looked all over Youtube but the reviewers are too lazy to show proper articulation.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ib4cx3pt

ib4cx3pt Well-Known Member

Mine is about the same qc

• Like Like x 1
  15. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

My Takara version suffers from all the similar gripes as Hasbro, however I can transform it to alt mode and it locks together everywhere like a brick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  16. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ironhide is great!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  17. kazukun

kazukun Well-Known Member

Transformed Ironhide again last night; yeah the doors panel is pretty mucn cracked, the metal pin is too tight that it just shear the panel on both side.

I tried sanding the center hood’s tab on the right side, but still not align, so I think it’s totally my right shoulder that’s defective (the left is on securely on both modes).

• Like Like x 1
  18. SRVFan1984

SRVFan1984 Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of Bay haters in a while.

Let's summon them by remeber why they hate him, shall we?. This is how it starts. Let darkness in your heart remember you how it ends.

:bay :bay :bay 
    20190203_164913.jpg 20190203_164936.jpg
    20190203_165311.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  19. T69xRiPx

T69xRiPx ..............

Facebook:
    Late to this party, just got my mpm6 copy and he is great, qc of my copy seems okay though same with emgo, the roof of the alt mode dont sit flush but i really like robot mode , and i make my own battle mode of hiding iron 20190205_004828.jpg
    20190205_004733.jpg

And eith his fellow mpm brotha (barry seems lost)

20190205_005744.jpg

And found out a way to tuck the tires inner as possible, just trying rest in the wheel hinge at his rotating joint of his chest, plus the chest seems a much silid, it is now not so easily loose, everything seems so solid for posing i He have a much cleaner look

Bonus image
    20190205_120211.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  20. xZeven

xZeven "Who dares to challenge me"

if the mpm had the chest piece and the arms of the ss
    Ironhide.jpg

• Like Like x 8