MPM-6 Ironhide

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by is456, Jan 9, 2018.

1. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

It just stopped working. Odd.

I looked closely, and it looks like the c-clip part that the tab plugs into got widened. Not sure how or why.

I tried compressing it a bit. Nada.

It just falls into the slot, and falls back out now. (well, it's returned, but it did when I had it)

2. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The tabs themselves will widen regardless of how well they initially tab in since the angle of the tabs is ever so slightly off from the peg angle. Even my good copy has had it happen. It still holds but nowhere near as good as it did or should.

The pegs put constant pressure on the sides of the tabs instead of just seating in to them like they should.

3. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Absolutely ridiculous.

HOW did this figure make it off of the "Designer's Desk?!"

Hey Warden ....why don't you throw up THAT promotional video for us to see?!?!

• Like Like x 2
  4. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Currently sitting at a 2 star rating with 42 review on amazon jp, so looks like it is widespread with the Takara lots

• Like Like x 1
  5. rego0012

News Credits:
    Used tab vs new tab.
    Notice how the old tab is warped simply from the act of having the peg inserted in it for a number of days. They will all eventually fail, the tabs used are insufficient for the purpose they serve.

215F3CFA-F035-442D-B9D0-F893C0AFF2D1.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  6. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

I'm speechless.

Maybe a good coating of crazy glue inside them to build up some bite?

7. BWfan86

News Credits:
    Can you take a pic of where these tabs are normally located on the figure?

P.S. Who is that in your avatar? I always get mildly freaked out when I see it, haha

• Like Like x 2
  8. rego0012

News Credits:
    It’s a band aid solution that may work well enough to have them hold better than doing nothing to them at all, it won’t solve why it’s doing it in the first place though

Unfortunately I won’t be able to since I’m leaving for vacation tonight and won’t have the time when I get home.

I will try to explain how to get to them for anyone who wants to go for it themselves. Showing the inner location cannot be seen from the outside, it requires unscrewing two screws on the back in the black plastic on the sides of his torso. That’s all that holds the upper body on to the lower half of the figure. Once you take the screws out the back half of the torso lifts away and exposes slots the tabs rest in. The back half that gets unscrewed is all that holds them in place.

The tab location for those unaware is located just behind the area circled (sorry unable to take a picture atm so I have to use one I have in hand)
    250731D7-2587-4415-8E42-9F8027F941C4.jpeg

(My profile pic is some random kid who asked to have his face painted like the emperor at a Star Wars event. its been on my phone for years and just happened to be the only thing on my phone when I created this profile, so it’s what got put as my picture)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Moderator

News Credits:
    Haven’t been on the boards for a bit. How’s this guy? Worth getting? Thoughts?

10. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The best looking MPM by far. Both the Takara and Hasbro versions are poorly designed and assembled though.

My verdict: Hope that LT fixes the issues with their KO.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Moderator

News Credits:
    Oh so read back on the pages for the QC problems?

12. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    If you want him... Yeah. Future should fix quite a few of the problems. Not all of them though.

13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    WTF... do they feel like they are made of PVC? Btw thanks for pointing those clips out.

14. BWfan86

News Credits:
    So, finally opened up this guy. Robot mode looked pretty cool. Didn’t really get to fiddle around with it much because I always like to transform back and forth once beforehand.

After handling the figure for several hours, I could not get him transformed into truck mode. Nothing lines up. First impression: this figure sucks and whoever let this guy hit the production line as is should be fired.

Will probably revisit in a few days to see if I can actually finish transforming it

• Like Like x 1
  15. rego0012

News Credits:
    Hard to tell what type of plastic they are. They are a harder material, just thin enough to bend and form themselves when pressure is applied to them.

I’m not sure why they didn’t sink the clips inside the shell of the main body tbth. These type of clips are fine for what they want them to do. Sentai and rider toys utilize them all the time. but, having them raised up So far with no supporting material around them means they will just end up eventually warping. There isn’t anything to keep them from moving around them while under stress or holding weight.

Anyone’s guess is as good as mine as to why they did what they did...it just doesn’t make sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Hmmm it might be thin ABS. I'm familiar with those clips on other toys and I agree with you.

Really does seem like this was designed by someone new(er). I don't think it should've been released as is. What I don't get is that the Studio Series Ironhide locks together solidly in robot mode, yet this which costs much more and was delayed until now, does not in certain areas. Very odd.

When the inevitable KO can lock together than the official figure, the bar has been lowered.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mudslide

Mudslide Eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my head.

So the general consensus is, avoid, avoid, avoid? Or should I do the QC roulette and hope for a decent one?

18. Ultra Martin

Ultra Martin Well-Known Member

Sometimes I allmost cannot believe what I'm reading here.
    A figure that cost that much (130,- Euro here in the Netherlands) is that bad.
    And not only MPM 6, also MPM 4 had a lot of problems with tabbing in all the parts.
    But this one seems to have even more problems who are world spread.
    The strangest thing I read that it seems some fans even except that you'll have to fix it right out of the box.
    Or have to repaint it because of chrome fading away (mp 27 and mp 28) or scratches after transformation (for example mp 36, price here: 230,- Euro:confused: ).
    Some fans just won't transform the figure anymore cause of it, common, isn't that one of the things transformers are made for?
    Is it not the same if people buy expencive model trains but they will nog let them ride because of the risk of breakage?
    And it is not Takara/Hasbro only, also third party's like Fanstoys, almost all their last figures having problems and they aren't cheap either.

I'm not meaning to offend anyone, we all love Transformers here and want them badly in our collection but if we just except poor products for high prices company's won't do better.
    We don't know how the quality will be of mp44 V3 Prime but I really hope for all of you who pre-ordered him and spend a lot of money for it will get a very good and solid product!!!

For me?
    I didn't pre-order anymore for a long time now, I'm waiting for reviews and read comments of people here.
    When that's positive I'll buy the one's I really want. (hope upcoming mp Hound will be a good one for a fair price).
    If that's the original, I'll buy it, if it's third party or a KO then so be it. (no original mp 36 here in my collection but the Black Mamba version and in my opinion it is really good:) 

So I don't buy mpm 6 Ironhide even loving the way he looks in robot mode (truck mode would be great if everything should fit nicely:( )
    I'm sorry for the fans who did buy it, waited a long time and were dissepointed that much.
    That's NOT the reason of collecting right?:( :( :( 

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Moderator

News Credits:
    This seals the deal about Takara QC. Sigh. Really hope it'll be at least a miracle will happen for MP44 and have some possible QC improvement if these prices keep climbing up

• Like Like x 4
  20. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    vroem vroem

[​IMG]

truck mode here is "almost" perfect. only thing that isnt really flush is the roofpanel on the back. but no problem for me. and the sidepanel where the frontdoor is but again no problem for me.

robot mode is great! sure the shoulders can be a pain to get right. the armpanels kinda work because they peg in but there is some tension for some reason.

the only "mod/fix" i did was remove a little bit of the tab from the armpanels so they can peg a bit more in. was some plastic where they came together. mold flash? not sure if thats the correct word. and thats all i did to "fix" it and i am very happy i bought this guy! solid 5/7

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1