MPM-13 Blackout

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by williammmw, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Angry fan

Angry fan Well-Known Member

It'd have been an amazing kill, they'd just need to give some zoom and keep him headless lol

Have you seen that cut where Optimus used Starscream to jump and roll in the air before he fell on Grindor? It was pretty cool besides the fact something that heavy shouldn't be able to do that

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sayan Rahman

Sayan Rahman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the paint is just about as good as what’s shown here (crossing my fingers), we all owe Sam an apology haha

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Please use the multiquote and edit buttons instead of posting more than once in a row.
    Haha yeah I always noticed that! Someone once mentioned that the perfectly clean alt modes could be some sort of holographic projection or extra layer of "camoflage" that they have to blend in. I always thought that was an interesting idea. Makes it easier for them to fight without having to worry as much.
    Amazing! He said it has over 200 paint apps!
    I didn't comment on the "logic" of other characters, I just said it makes sense that blackout would be smaller than his chopper mode. Trying to find "logic" in the overall transformations is a silly and impossible thing to do. They wanted a wide variety of vehicle modes but didn't want the robot modes to be too crazy in terms of size. That's fine by me as long as they work for the designs and toys.
    Interesting. Maaaaybe there's a short support structure holding the blades on still, and the lack of red eyes could be him "closing" his eyes after starscream accidentally shot him in the face?
    These aren't good movies to nitpick. Bay didn't even nitpick them :lol 
    It's totally normal for a product as insanely complex as this to appear slightly different in promo pics. It's sometimes happened with transformers too many times over the years. Obsessing over these details is gonna drive you crazy man.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Angry fan

Angry fan Well-Known Member

For official you mean made by Hasbro?

And well the thing with Grindor changing sizes, he changes from being as tall as Megatron to being almost twice Optimus' size. I know Megatron is massive, but the difference is too much. Man people are taking the SS and the MPM, and well that is what we take as canon scale between the 2 cons. I believe Grindor is as big as Megatron or maybe a bit taller, but not as big as 2 Optimus

5. DaveTheCave

DaveTheCave Well-Known Member

3rd Party knock offs of this are gonna be incredible looking

"You should support the official product " you say? I would if they didn't always skimp on paint

• Like Like x 3
  6. Thalyn

Thalyn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And finger articulation. Those hands look to be one piece, and having the fingers outstretched like that just doesn't look natural.

7. wboender

wboender Impatient Overspender

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    king_samlock instagram story

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  8. Decagon

Decagon Resident of Iacon.

What on earth do these words mean.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Magnus7412

Magnus7412 Well-Known Member

SAMPLE IN HAND DIALING IN SOME OF THE FINE TUNING ! KING ESAM LOCK

Apparently this person on Instagram already has a sample of the mpm-13 Blackout in hand. I hope a review of the transformation comes out soon!

• Like Like x 4
  10. wboender

wboender Impatient Overspender

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    he helped design the figure, not a reviewer sadly

• Like Like x 5
  11. Sayan Rahman

News Credits:
    Paint apps look totally fine, but he said that paint is still being altered on the final product to match pre production which is awesome to hear! It’s so good to see Blackout in some natural shots

9B68C608-5285-4DB3-845D-3CD3FE467AB2.jpeg 14F6672E-4287-408F-8F06-159F8DBAA692.jpeg 6FEF4BB3-35F4-45A0-8280-120BB5E2161D.jpeg 3698FCE5-6BB6-46EC-9D4B-99EDB7C7E759.jpeg

• Like Like x 15
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  12. eVac Z

eVac Z Cybertron and all of its figures belong to ME!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hmm, I'm starting to warm up to this fella after all. Those initial pictures had me scratching my head for a bit, but seeing it properly transformed and directly compared to the ILM model has me rather intrigued.

Dare I say I might've been swayed?

• Like Like x 3
  13. Slyf5

Slyf5 Well-Known Member

the joints that connect to the shoulder look very thin, while maybe this will not be a problem with Hasbro materials because they're good, I really hope that BMB did something with these upper arms because they look really really fragile and also they look like friction joints not ratcheted joints, and they hold the entire arm weight o_O 

14. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What a beauty. I might also want to add that we finally have a Blackout that is actually smaller than Megatron at the tip of his rotor.
    2491EC7B-C222-4AD9-A3CF-369B6EFA93B7.png 2C9D726D-6986-4B0E-AA66-A586F844297E.jpeg
    The SS fig, though to be fair probably because Megs was already stretched pretty thin for a Voyager, seemed to forget that Blackout even at his tip was still 2’ smaller than Megatron.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Old):
    • Like Like x 17
  16. Sayan Rahman

News Credits:
    Sam is both a Hasbro designer and the Hasbro stock photographer!

68B2562D-C86C-42F7-8A24-E612D390F180.jpeg

His shots still look great tho haha

• Like Like x 15
  17. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod BB and ROTB are a reboot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    19EBDCA1-3129-4209-9BAF-BB058C2E61B1.jpeg

• Like Like x 16
  18. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Old):
    Even with their flaws, i must say the decepticons in this line are decent to stellar while the autobots are very subpar.
    Seriously, it's a shame how most of the autobots tend to have 1 big flaw or issue that restrains them from greatness. Jazz and Bumblebee are my favorites in the line however.
    THE CURSE IS YET TO BE LIFTED

• Like Like x 8
  19. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    All images and comments in one post:

MPM-13 Movie Masterpiece TF1 Blackout

“[in Cybertronian] All hail Megatron!”

Time to talk screen to toy and overview a bit more of an in depth dive on Blackout. This was the first Movie Masterpiece figure that I have had the opportunity to work on, so I was thrilled to partner with Tomo Tatsumi at Takara.

MPM was a unique undertaking from a design stand point, as there were a number of additional stages for fine tuning the character. Studio Series set a high bar for this character, but Tomo quickly identified a number of areas that he wanted to improve on in order to deliver better articulation, a more screen accurate bot form, a complete vehicle mode, and to finally be able to deliver a 6 bladed turbine.

In addition to these improvements, we wanted to ensure that we were able to finally weaponize this character with more on-screen relevant weaponry and accessories. In the film we see Blackout utilize dual mini guns, along with a pulse cannon deploying from the center of the chest. We also wanted to start to introduce blast effects to the MPM line, and Blackouts weaponry was the perfect way to do this.

We got to work on finding an appropriate scale for the character, knowing from studio heigh charts that Blackout’s head would be slightly shorter than Starscream’s, while his upper back would be taller. The scale of this figure looks massive against the Studio Series but feels perfectly at home amongst his MPM deception faction members.

The figure is loaded with premium joints, some very clever engineering and some die cast pieces to add some significant heft to the over all design. The transformation, which at first can seem like a very daunting task, is actually very rhythmic, as it utilizes a lot of symmetry as you collapse and fold parts into the hull. In the end it deliver a near seamless representation of the Sikorsky helicopter.

For me, where this figure really gets the opportunity to shine? sheen? lack there of, (its a giant matte helicopter) is with the deco. There were so many fine details that we were able to balance this figure and vehicle mode out with. I truly enjoyed the task of combing through Blackout’s scenes frame by frame looking for subtle nuances to introduce to this figure. All of the screen used CH-53’s unique markings, lights, warnings, and insignias make their way onto the version of the character. We were also able to treat a significant amount of the exposed robot parts with metallic dry brushing to accentuate the sculpted detail.

Alright I think that’s enough coverage on this guy for a bit. There some Studio Series news I need to get back to covering off on. Stay tuned for more!

MPM BLACKOUT FEP 1

I woke up this morning… To some awesome feedback and had a lot of questions in regards to physical paint master vs production sample. So I wanted to help clarify some of the discrepancies. Paint masters are generated using grown parts prior to tool start, so they don’t account for base or molded colors. They are entirely painted, vs in production where you see parts molded in their intended color with paint and decoration placed on top of them.

The next series of photos depicts the FEP 1 production sample in RAW unmodified natural lighting, so I hope this can give you a better understanding of the intended look of the figure. There are a number of modifications still being made to fine tun the figure to match the paint master as close as possible. Ignore my crude poses, partial mistransformation and the sample numbers, it was 42 degrees this morning.

Hope that helps, but let me know if you have any further questions!

Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-01.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-02.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-03.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-04.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-05.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-06.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-07.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-08.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-09.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-10.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-11.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-12.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-13.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-14.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-15.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-16.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-17.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-18.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-19.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-20.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-21.jpg Masterpiece Mpvie MPM-13 Blackout-22.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 26
  20. Decagon

Decagon Resident of Iacon.

Hooray! Full comparisons! I wasn't far off with my scale edit at all. I sure do love how lean he looks. Yeah, he could still stand to have larger upper arms, but it doesn't bother me. I think he's already beefy where he needs to be. I think they intended to strike a balance with his proportions, so that he's not too skinny, but also not too bulky either, because getting an accurate read on said proportions is pretty confusing.

Some renders and media portrays him as being bulkier, while others have him looking a lot more slender.

Here in these rear views, he looks a lot more slim in the limbs, kinda like SS Blackout.

[​IMG]

And here in these two brief shots, he's built like a shitbrick house.

[​IMG]

They obviously didn't interchange his CG model between shots or anything, it's just how I personally see it.

• Like Like x 5