MPM-12 Optimus Prime (Bumblebee Movie)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by oku, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Not to mention it’s not a solid, well made figure at all.

• Like Like x 5
  2. meisterman

meisterman Well-Known Member

His Canadian retail price via Toys R Us is $170, so the US retail at Target should be $130-$140. Anything more than that is an up charge by resellers.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Grand Slam

Grand Slam "The sounds of war are history speaking."

They’re not really “third-party alternatives” though. This is the only fandom I’ve ever seen that lies to itself about what third-party means.

Third-party requires a license. Activision making Xbox games is a third-party. Some Chinese assholes infringing on IP is in no way a third-party. There is no such thing as a third-party Transformer that actually transforms. There are first-party ones and bootlegs.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ghostyurei

ghostyurei Our race was a peaceful one once...

News Credits:
    Somebody is idealizing how the free market works. There’s plenty of people who are willing to pay for them and they consistently deliver products that are satisfying to those markets. They may operate in a legal gray area, and Hasbro, Paramount, or whoever may not be able to slay the hydra with their lawyer armies which allows them to operate with some amount of impunity. They’re not assholes, they’re enterprising opportunists, who seem to put more effort towards what fans actually want because it drives their business.
    I could go on about the ethics of their labor and what the money we as collectors spend really goes towards but that’s a different discussion not suitable for this board.
    The bottom line is that as Hasbro continues to deliver product that is disappointing to some, the consumer turns to alternatives that satisfy their niche craving. Reading this thread is proof enough of that. If Hasbro fails to deliver, all some 3rd or “4th” party has to do is read threads like this and check off fan wishes to produce a hit product, regardless of whether it’s licensed.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Grand Slam

Grand Slam "The sounds of war are history speaking."

The bottom line is that there is a sub-forum to discuss them, and this is not it. There are many people on this site who feel as I do, and we don’t go stink up the other parts of the forum. Maybe we should start, since we’re not shown the same courtesy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. XaxisGuy

XaxisGuy Metasuchus

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Discussing how other figures could be better than this figure is a natural part of discussion. It’s not against the rules or the discussion whatsoever.

I think Toyworld was once on this site looking at the thread of Knight Orion although they seemed to struggle a bit in discussing in English. ( I don’t blame them one bit )

• Like Like x 6
  7. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    at least some of them did, all of starscream's were g1 starscream's from devastation's too. ratchet's was robert foxworthy's lines from the rotf video game.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ghostyurei

News Credits:
    Look, I’m not here to stink up your safe space, buddy. I collect, you collect, we all collect. I’m gonna be hitting Target in five months looking for this guy at retail because I love the same plastic robots. I bought two MPM-11 Ratchets so I could have a DOTM version. But until Hasbro makes an MPM Bonecrusher, Blackout, or Brawl, I can’t give my money to a company that doesn’t make them.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    You’re correct and I agree with you, however personally it bugs me when EVERY SINGLE MPM thread is half “the KO will be better!” comments. That doesn’t add anything, IMO.

• Like Like x 12
  10. XaxisGuy

XaxisGuy Metasuchus

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    True, KOs are practically identical to the official release unlike the 3P figures which would have more difference than the original release so that it could lead to more discussion on the pros and cons of each mold.

• Like Like x 5
  11. ghostyurei

News Credits:
    I believe the distinction @Grand Slam is making is that 3rd party doesn’t technically include unlicensed product such as fan made or potentially IP infringing releases of original sculpts, as well as definitely IP infringing 1:1 KOs.
    And I agree, that coming here just to say “I’ll wait for the KO” waters down the discourse significantly, and is a sad indicator of the state of collecting, especially for Hasbro. I do, however enjoy the discussion of comparison of things we like or dislike about all versions of this character design (including unofficial) and are hopeful to see once we have hands on with the figure.
    Otherwise this thread would just be people eagerly awaiting the drip-feed of marketing information about this figure, and how to spend money on it before it’s released, and complaining about cat ears (which I’m still certain are mis-transformed).

• Like Like x 3
  12. InfinityKitten

InfinityKitten Well-Known Member

You're the reason I bring extra ............... and ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, wherever I go, just to feel safe.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TheTornSideswipeFan

TheTornSideswipeFan Well-Known Member

Understandable. For what the Masterpiece Brand is meant to sell, this feels admittedly too much the other direction from what MPM-7 Bee was like. Where MPM Bee was meant to be more vehicle focused (with use of concept art and the SS Figure to give SOMETHING of a robot mode similar to the end result), this admittedly is too much the opposite direction, with the figure having admittedly too much focus on the bot mode accuracy (Note, this is coming form someone who absolutely LOVES when Bot Mode Priorities are taken) that the Vehicle Mode takes a pot shot in terms of engineering for it.

Outside of the Head (Looks not so good when the head is front-facing and honestly feeds into my jokingly called 2020-2021 era of slightly thin, stretched heads trying to make the coneheads look normal-sized) and the inability to move/fold the shoulder kibble to make the entire truck mode behind flat, the lack of a cab rack, the admittedly lackluster transformation for the legs, the figure is honestly serviceable, but I'm with Lumaken, I'll just stick with the Threezero/3A Prime

• Like Like x 3
  14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Yeah they do

I agree that what we call 3P isn’t actually 3P, but I’d fall short of calling them bootlegs. Straight KO’s are bootlegs, the rest us unlicensed.

And the fact of the matter is, whether or not you approve of their existence they do actually exist, and people will buy them.

Might as well discuss it.

• Like Like x 8
  15. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Do you have something against 3rd party? just curious

• Like Like x 4
  16. maxxzander

maxxzander Well-Known Member

oh nooooo seems like that fugly cat ear in alt mode is not due to mistransformed .... seems legit... oh welll, i guess have to wait for some 3pko company to fix it

17. ssjgoku22

ssjgoku22 Well-Known Member

It's a discussion forum, there's no rules for not being able to mention the KO's. I don't see the problem. The original MPM-4 was kind of ugly. A KO company took the mold, when to town by paint it properly and charged a cheaper price for it. Unethical for Hasbro, but a win as a consumer. I couldn't care less for HasTak when they're half-assing it. It's your money, spend in a way that will benefit you.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 12
  18. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Not just better paint, but often engineering fixes and improvements.
    You have people that stick with official, and that’s great. But I won’t begrudge a person who wants the same figure but better.

• Like Like x 6
  19. nugun2

nugun2 Well-Known Member

yep. They rely on groupies. I agree with you, hastak has been half assing it for a long time. Over charging too. Most of the time its not for us but for local markets thats why they dont care for international sales. Salaries are high in Japan so costs of design end up being transferred to the customer. A long time ago there focus was on quality and they would undercut their prices just for international market penetration.

The paint and assembly tho is dirt cheap. So i dont know whats a little extra paint. Now they are just making their own designs which are beating the original creators of the line. Hilarious

• Like Like x 2
  20. Revan1307

Revan1307 Well-Known Member