MPM-12 Optimus Prime (Bumblebee Movie)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by oku, Feb 9, 2021.

1. DoctorAlgy

DoctorAlgy all your Primes are belong to us

Still waiting for my copy to get out of the "Processing" phase. You're killin' me Smalls!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    not possible

• Like Like x 1
  3. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Cybertronian fanmode pls.

4. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    how are his hand connected? sure we will be getting some upgraded hands from some company

5. Phamduc

Phamduc TransArtTT

News Credits:
    mushroom peg

• Like Like x 1
  6. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ohh nice

7. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I think you nailed it in your comments and I 100% agree with you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Translation by Soundwave’s Oblivion of the MPM12 portion of an interview with designer Takahashi Kunihuro:

Masterpiece Movie Optimus Prime

- First off, could you please tell us about the Bumblebee Movie Optimus Prime which we have specially photographed today?
    The Studio Series SS-38 Optimus Prime designed by Onishi was really well received and based on that feedback we decided to brush up on the design and release a Masterpiece version.

- What sort of things did you brush up on?
    The base model Optimus made for SS-38 is really cool but it was made before the movie came out. There were changes made to the CGI model which we weren’t able to add to the toy so it felt unfinished. Our direction therefore was to make a movie accurate version. I feel that we certainly improved the accuracy by using the CGI model featured in the movie as a reference. I wanted to do it justice by reproducing the plump thighs and the way the tyres fit on the side of the legs which gives it a very impressive look. There is also a rounded section on the robot's back and I wanted to get that shape right.

- The vehicle mode is very reminiscent of the G1 style.
    As it isn’t a licensed vehicle we were able to reproduce it from its fleeting appearance in the movie. Putting it plainly, when speaking of Convoys there is always a cab with legs behind it. I can’t change this but I was able to shift sections to the legs to make them look thicker. As the lower body has to carry all the weight I opted to use diecast metal parts. The metal parts are clearly visible in vehicle mode but they aren’t visible in robot mode.

- The chest windows aren’t dummy sections either.
    The movie series introduced the split chest appearance. I sometimes use dummy chest windows but as this is a Masterpiece, I didn’t want to do this. Therefore there is a mechanism so when you press the left and right sides, the windows tilt diagonally.

- The trailer isn’t included either.
    I was secretly able to include connector ports which are compatible with Masterpiece Ver 3.0. That trailer has a square connector so I simply included square holes enabling you to attach it.

-Could you please let us know any stand out features.
    The front section of Optimus’ gun is long and cool looking. That's why the toy gun is long. When you pose it and leave it standing there, it just looks cool”.

• Like Like x 7
  9. octobotimus

octobotimus Please, do tell me how much I hate things

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That’s the standout feature of a masterpiece....:inquisiti 

10. wboender

wboender Impatient Overspender

News Credits:
    Twitter:

11. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I guess when people were calling this guy "SS-38 upscaled" they weren't technically wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  12. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Sound like either the designer didn't watch the movie or they gave him the wrong vehicle model to work with.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DoctorAlgy

"I opted for diecast metal parts"

And that sounded like he had a choice to continue to make this figure better. Heh I know, time and budget haha...razafraza.

14. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I think the decision was more practicle, like his feet have to be heavy to support the trunk's weight. I could be wrong, but thats what I got from it.

Yeah pretty much, its like MP-10 to ER Leader Optimus, but the other way around.

15. Sayan Rahman

Sayan Rahman Well-Known Member

On CapcomKai’s Instagram

7546365C-2883-4690-B9FA-0AB215A06205.jpeg 4D5C1E97-8CDE-4BBE-815D-F0CF6B7F0631.jpeg

5B5835E1-08DE-4ECD-9BD6-FA0197986A44.jpeg 80E5FA0A-04D1-4F9E-86D5-DB5319A12420.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  16. DoctorAlgy

• Like Like x 1
  17. InfinityKitten

InfinityKitten Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  18. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In those new comparison pics it is clear how much more accurate and superior this MPM is than the old Studio Series, but it's just hard to accept how weak the truck mode ended up.

• Like Like x 2
  19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Agreed.

This thing looks great- in robot mode. I don’t care for the truck panels on the arms, but I could probably overlook most if not all the other issues if not for the static shoulders.

20. Oktiduz

Oktiduz Well-Known Member

What I seriously don't understand is how they came so close yet so far

1. The forearms. Like seriously, the proportions are like 80 percent there - the only thing throwing it off is the side panel on the lower portion of the arm, making the entire arm look way too boxy. This is what I don't understand: the arms are just hollow space because of the flip-out wrists. Are you seriously telling me that Takara wasn't smart enough to realize that you could just shove most of the unwanted vehicle kibble into there, not only fixing the proportions but also fixing the tendency for the wrists to sag?

2. The "pinhead". Like some have already said, it's made of 4 components - this should have been the easiest to fix by far and it looks like the transformation would have been completely intact if they made the ears protrude out a bit more from the main head.

3. The leg proportions. With how the legs transform, would it really be that hard to make it so that the thighs would be longer and bigger?

4. The cat ears. This is just mind-boggling - Lemon tree Prime figured this out. Just have the shoulder pads be comprised of two sliding plates so you can have the spring-loaded feature still there yet have it be able to slide down and up.

5. I'm sorry but am I the only one who hates how the front of the truck looks? I'm not even talking about the entire front; I'm just talking about the Windvisor. It's segmented and they couldn't engineer a simple sliding rail for it to come closer together?

Considering that this is just G1 Prime at its roots, I'm legitimately dumbfounded at how this turned out. With the lack of paint and engineering compared to other MP toys, why is this so expensive for what it is? Oh well. I guess I'll wait for Transcraft or the inevitable knockoff. If you like it, more power to you - I'm just disappointed.

• Like Like x 1